The discovery thread!
Oct 27, 2012 at 11:23 AM Post #4,156 of 102,848
Quote:
1. Isolation is just that - good. nothing special and there are others that isolate better, but let me say this - I commute a lot too, and  never had any problems with isolation. 
2. they can be won overear but I'd rather not :D too uncomfortable and weird looking :)
3. build looks really great. I doubt anything could happen with it anytime soon...
4. I actually think that for that kind of money, especially for Germany, these are really good. I think you'd have to pay double to gt the same level of quality...
5. never had a xears so I can not comment on that. but these are really great, with big, clean sub-bass and awesome mids, with relaxed highs.

Thank you for your input, appreciate it! One follow-up question: if overear is not an option, how bad would you say the microphonics are?

Btw: I just looked up the price for the EPH-100 and they would actually cost double, so your estimate seems spot on :wink:

Oct 27, 2012 at 11:46 AM Post #4,157 of 102,848
Quote:
ericp, are you not on the ath pads crew?
I believe my tastes in sq are pretty close to you and Ds.  Let me tell you when I switched to these pads, I haven't gone back.  These headphones sound righteous with these pads on.  Get on board my man!!  
beerchug.gif

Okay! Okay already! Ordered! I'm going to pay you and Dsnuts back one day, and it won't be pretty. 
mad.gif
 ... meh!

lol

Oct 27, 2012 at 12:03 PM Post #4,158 of 102,848
Quote:
Thank you for your input, appreciate it! One follow-up question: if overear is not an option, how bad would you say the microphonics are?

Btw: I just looked up the price for the EPH-100 and they would actually cost double, so your estimate seems spot on :wink:

I would say on a scale from 1 to 10 (1 being very annoying and 10 almost non-existent) I'd give it 7... they do have microphonics, but depending on how you use the cable cinch, you can minimize it. it is not perfect though....

Oct 27, 2012 at 12:08 PM Post #4,159 of 102,848
Quote:
yes and I will bug you once more. Must try these pads on your HA-S500. My rating was a stuggle between my HA-S500 and the FXD80 but I wll tell you right now the dynamics and sound using these pads. Unfortunately the M-50 be too big for the HA-s500.  It transformes the HA-S500 from good to out of this planet great using these pads. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ear-Pads-For-Audio-Technica-ATH-SJ5-DJ-Style-Headphones-Black-/261119206335? Look forward to what people have to say about the Ericksons. I am only returning the favor ericp. You got me on the HA-S500. Even though you haven't heard how they truly sound.. People don't belive in just how much your headphone can change for the better with proper pads but trust me on this one. Worth every cent. Not to mention more comfy.. Try them you will thank me later.

I think Danny got these pads too. Wouldn't you agree Danny? On the HA-S500 with these pads?

Dsnuts, I know you'all have the AT leather pads covered.....many other as well....next biggest surprise, you gotta make use of the AT velours with HM5 pads over....yet another higher level of sound from the S500....everything you have heard so far with the AT pads plus soundstage and layering like you haven't heard.  Really, really worth a listen!

Oct 27, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #4,160 of 102,848
Quote:

I would say on a scale from 1 to 10 (1 being very annoying and 10 almost non-existent) I'd give it 7... they do have microphonics, but depending on how you use the cable cinch, you can minimize it. it is not perfect though....

Sounds good enough for me. Never really noticed the microphonics on my TDs that much until I learned of the over-the-ear method. Then they got pretty obvious when not wearing them that way.

Well, I guess it's time to stop worrying and start ordering ^^ Thanks again for your time! I will report back (and make that TD4 comparison) when I get them :)

Oct 27, 2012 at 12:37 PM Post #4,161 of 102,848
I need to be banned from these forum, for ever!............

Oct 27, 2012 at 1:44 PM Post #4,162 of 102,848
I was eager to get to work this morning to tryout the MH1C. Just a theory of mines but I feel the smaller the driver the more burn in has to happen. The sound is starting to take shape but I feel these are not close to being done. That being said I ditched the stock silicons and threw on some Compys. Better isolation and a touch more bass end.  I am A/Bing the 3 earphones.

FX31, R1, MH1C..

All 3 benefit from using a more powerful source. Amping the R1 does improve the sound perhaps the most. But that lack of timbre detail especially in vocals still comes through. This being said they sound much better than on my Sony Z1060.

The Sony Ericson MH1C remind me a bit of my XBA-3. The sound tuning is familiar. The highs are clean and delicate when a track calls for it and the sound as a whole is a very cohesive one..The sound quality again much more than what you would expect from a $20 earphone..I think guys are in for a nice surprise and on these phones. Absolutely do not judge these on open box. They come to you as raw as they get with absolutely no factory burn in. If they continue to improve as they have. Toward 100 hours. I expect these to be everything ClieOS says they are. I am definitely hearing their potential

Now the biggest surprise from this comparo was the FX31. These have a clarity the other earphones don't. If you guys own any of the JVC earphones or headphones. You guys will know that JVC house signature includes extended and detailed highs. And these are no exception. These actually gave off the best detail out of the 3 but I have a feeling once the MH1Cs burn in those are definitely going to be contenders. I have around 120 hours of solid burn in on the FX31 and they simply sound great. These have a similar tuning to the HA-S500 so comes out a bit brighter than the other 2 but also has clarity to do it right and a nice full bottom end.

Which one would I get?
For bass lovers. EDM/ HIP HOP fans. The R1  Balanced with a big bass end
For detail guys that love their highs/ sparkle with their sound The FX31 U shape sound but nice detail and clarity
For guys that want a great sounding do it all phone w  mic device that can play all your music.Nicely balanced solid sound.  For $20 it is a no brainer if you own a Smart phone. Just tested the mic out. Works very nice on my LG optimus.

Oct 27, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #4,163 of 102,848
Well.
I previously said the r1 mids aren't recessed.
Then I threw on my Brainwavz HM5 and remembered what mids are supposed to sound like.

The r1 mids are recessed.
BUT.
I'm in love with the soundstage these things have.
so I can't complain.

At least not till I get those mh1's, burn them in, and discover their greatness.

On a side note.
Those XB90s.
are grrrrrrrrreat!!!
looking forward to those wide tips.

Oct 27, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #4,164 of 102,848
So here is something new on the discovery thread.. I just got this.

This is my first ever tube amp. The Bravo Ocean. This thing is a small desk amp that has some serious power. Currently I have this connected to my Sony Z1060 and it gives a full bodied sound that is equivalent to having a full stereo stack. The sound is amped and thensome.. Full rich sound with a hint of warmth and fullness that was missing from standard sources. This amp I feel is indeed a discovery for me. So far I am just using the 3.5 in put jack on the back end and this give this little amp some very nice versatility.  You can have your DAP player on the go and when you get to your work or home. Just plug them to this amp giving your sounds a nice high end fullness depth and width that a nice amp is supposed to. I just got this and I read tubes need several hours of use before they fully integrate. Even as I type..This amp is surprising me in how the stock sound from my Sony player is much more expansive and fuller.. I threw on the Ericson M1HC on here and it sounds awesome. Even better than just having it out of my Fire Phoenix DAC. Using my Fire Phoenix DAC connected to this Bravo. The sound is even better.. I am happy in my own little world at the moment. Will report back as I feel these need a burn in. As you guys know I burn in everything.

Oct 27, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #4,165 of 102,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomikn00b /img/forum/go_quote.gif

At least not till I get those mh1's, burn them in, and discover their greatness.

I read that and went "Oh no, what are the mh1's"?  And then I realized that you are talking about the MH1c, which I also dsnuts-taneously purchased last night lol!

I was reading more of the Sony MH1 thread, and ClieOS said this:

Quote:
A full win over GR02 Bass Edition, but I have not heard FX40. But given I have FXD80 and FXT90 (which is the 3th and 4th in JVC line-up), I will say I do prefer MH1 more.

My FXD70's should be here any day. I don't know whether to laugh or cry at the thought of these $20 MH1's sounding better than them!

Oct 27, 2012 at 3:50 PM Post #4,166 of 102,848
Hold on there partner. As they are the HMC1s are lesser iems from the FXDs. but they are surprising me the more I use them. You won't regret getting the FXD70 at all. You are gonna love em. Look at those FXD70s as a iem version of your HA-S500. After getting your FXDs. Your R1s aren't gonna sound as good however.

Oct 27, 2012 at 4:13 PM Post #4,168 of 102,848
Hi guys,

I think i am quite new here. Was surveying on in-ear phones 2 days ago until i found this thread. I was so tired honestly reading about 80-90 pages 1 by 1 and i stopped on page 19x if not mistaken. I am so motivated by Dsnuts and other members here as well about the hardcore bass on the HA FX101 so i bought one of it and also bought another pair of FX1X to make sure which is better.

But heres the problem, i found out that both of the earphones doesnt really give good bass (im looking for those pumping your ear with vibration type of bass). Thats why im quite disappointed with both earphones. Of course, quality wise i agreed that the HA FX101 is a lot better. In terms of bass, i think my previous one (Marley 19 pounds) can get far better bass than these. I dont really know whats the problem im facing right now but i just dont feel the bass. I was suspecting on a few problems. 

1) Maybe ear-tip problem? I have tried on different sizes again and again but still couldnt find a right one. 
2) Insufficient burn-in?

I just keep testing over and over again and comparing FX1X , FX101 and my Marley. Still i think Marley gives me more bass which produce lots of vibration (which is fun to me cos i love pumping bass! like those in the club!).

Hope someone could help me out here. I'm not a pro or audiophiles, just a beginner starting to play with in-ear headphones mainly for my gym purpose.

Oct 27, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #4,169 of 102,848
Hold on there partner. As they are the HMC1s are lesser iems from the FXDs. but they are surprising me the more I use them. You won't regret getting the FXD70 at all. You are gonna love em. Look at those FXD70s as a iem version of your HA-S500. After getting your FXDs. Your R1s aren't gonna sound as good however.

That was i thought and the reason i didnt bought those r1, maybe i will buy the hmc just because they are cheap and i can use them in my galaxy or donate them to my wife as she spends all day driving , other than that i am not needing any other iem in a while, those fxd are crazy good and i am planning a huge updgrade over them. $$$$$$

Wayne, you just wait for those fxd70, burn them a complete week 7x24 and get ready, also i think you sould spend in a good dac like the fire phoenix, mines should be at home these monday :D

Oct 27, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #4,170 of 102,848
Hi guys,

I think i am quite new here. Was surveying on in-ear phones 2 days ago until i found this thread. I was so tired honestly reading about 80-90 pages 1 by 1 and i stopped on page 19x if not mistaken. I am so motivated by Dsnuts and other members here as well about the hardcore bass on the HA FX101 so i bought one of it and also bought another pair of FX1X to make sure which is better.

But heres the problem, i found out that both of the earphones doesnt really give good bass (im looking for those pumping your ear with vibration type of bass). Thats why im quite disappointed with both earphones. Of course, quality wise i agreed that the HA FX101 is a lot better. In terms of bass, i think my previous one (Marley 19 pounds) can get far better bass than these. I dont really know whats the problem im facing right now but i just dont feel the bass. I was suspecting on a few problems. 

1) Maybe ear-tip problem? I have tried on different sizes again and again but still couldnt find a right one. 
2) Insufficient burn-in?

I just keep testing over and over again and comparing FX1X , FX101 and my Marley. Still i think Marley gives me more bass which produce lots of vibration (which is fun to me cos i love pumping bass! like those in the club!).

Hope someone could help me out here. I'm not a pro or audiophiles, just a beginner starting to play with in-ear headphones mainly for my gym purpose.

The fx1x has a big bass,so it could be bad seal, try al 3 sizes and try to insert the deep inside your ear canal. Seal = bass

I think they come with foam tips, try those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back