The discovery thread!
Apr 8, 2016 at 12:50 PM Post #31,741 of 100,887
Here is an up close picture of the Focal Sphear shell to show the grill underneath the logo. Its a cool way to disguise the port.

Apr 8, 2016 at 2:39 PM Post #31,742 of 100,887
  So a question for the members of my "favorite thread" in Head-Fi: Do any of you have the Cayin N5 DAP? If so, what do you think about the sound quality as compared to the Fiio or iBasso DAPs (or even the Cowon Daps)? Which headphones/earphones work best with it? Thanks in advance. Happy listening! 

SEE PM i just sent you Eric. thanks, drblue

Hey, no secrets kids!

Just kidding... but I'd be interested in N5 DAP impressions as well if anyone has them.

Btw, this is my latest "stack" that I'm digging:

That's my galaxy S5 phone (in it's belt clip holster case), running Usb Audio Player Pro (UAPP) app, through OTG cable to the ZuperDAC (the blue rubber band will of course be replaced with a fashionable black band soon lol).

I'm really liking the S5/UAPP/ZuperDAC combo for the following reasons:

- the ZuperDAC ROCKS. Only $75, has the sabre ES9018K2M dac chip and ES9601 amp, and sounds incredible to my ears.
- the UAPP app plays bit perfect to the ZuperDAC and sounds phenomenal for hi res files (other android apps downsample to 16/44).
- synergizes incredibly well with most of my gear, and has breathed new life into my gear
- additional amps such as C5 or BH sound great, but are not required. I thought for sure I'd need/want to be using the amps as well, but that's not the case - everything sounds great straight out of the zuper.
- I can live with the above "stack" - it's not a brick. I can still have my phone clipped to my belt which is awesome. I have portable hi res playback, awsome portable SQ and portable streaming when I want it.
- the ZuperDAC sounds awesome off of my laptop as well.

One downside with using the zuperdac off of my phone is that it drains the battery quicker. It's not too bad and it hasn't been a factor for me, but it is something to be aware of. So if this is a concern, then something like the Mojo with it's own battery would be a benefit (but you're paying for it, and getting into "bricks" again).

Hat's off to nick n for putting the ZuperDAC on my radar. It has quenched my lust for the X7 DAP or Mojo dac/amp for now, which is saying something :)

Apr 8, 2016 at 4:32 PM Post #31,744 of 100,887

Hey, no secrets kids!

Just kidding... but I'd be interested in N5 DAP impressions as well if anyone has them.

That's my galaxy S5 phone (in it's belt clip holster case), running Usb Audio Player Pro (UAPP) app, through OTG cable to the ZuperDAC (the blue rubber band will of course be replaced with a fashionable black band soon lol).

- the ZuperDAC ROCKS. Only $75, has the sabre ES9018K2M dac chip and ES9601 amp, and sounds incredible to my ears.
- the UAPP app plays bit perfect to the ZuperDAC and sounds phenomenal for hi res files (other android apps downsample to 16/44).
- synergizes incredibly well with most of my gear, and has breathed new life into my gear
- additional amps such as C5 or BH sound great, but are not required. I thought for sure I'd need/want to be using the amps as well, but that's not the case - everything sounds great straight out of the zuper.
- I can live with the above "stack" - it's not a brick. I can still have my phone clipped to my belt which is awesome. I have portable hi res playback, awsome portable SQ and portable streaming when I want it.

One downside with using the zuperdac off of my phone is that it drains the battery quicker. It's not too bad and it hasn't been a factor for me, but it is something to be aware of. So if this is a concern, then something like the Mojo with it's own battery would be a benefit (but you're paying for it, and getting into "bricks" again).

Hat's off to nick n for putting the ZuperDAC on my radar. It has quenched my lust for the X7 DAP or Mojo dac/amp for now, which is saying something :)

You always find the best value in gear my friend!!! 
beerchug.gif

Apr 8, 2016 at 6:01 PM Post #31,745 of 100,887
Hi @Eric10 (reunion time again :) )
My take on the N5, as one who hasn't heard it, but had read a review and had the C5. The reviewer felt pairing the N5 and C5 improved the sounds dramatically, which means to me the amp of the N5 is not as good sounding as the C5. My own experience with the C5 is that I don't love it...think it has a grain and flatness to it (like the ALO National, which I also have, better). So, depending how much the SQ to cost matters, the N5 wouldn't be very high on my list (me, I like my Pono).
My $0.02

Apr 8, 2016 at 9:27 PM Post #31,746 of 100,887

Hey, no secrets kids!

Hi, may I know if this DAC is better than the Fiio E10K? The E10K happens to be at the same price point.

Apr 8, 2016 at 11:08 PM Post #31,747 of 100,887
Thank you doctorjazz.

Apr 9, 2016 at 4:32 PM Post #31,749 of 100,887
I do have the N5. So far I'm liking it with the right phones. But I love my Cowon Plenue D too.

Apr 9, 2016 at 5:03 PM Post #31,750 of 100,887
I haven't heard the N5, certainly the synergy of the dac and amp parts can add to a fine sounding whole. I didn't love the C5, which is just an amp (to be more precise, I thought it was good for its price, I liked the ALO National more, at twice the price).
I've used the Pono alone (currently finding it to have nice synergy with my Audeo PFE-232). It has a bit more trouble driving my acs Encores, so when I want to use those, I use the line out into the Cavalli Liquid Carbon...nice combo. And, I've taken the Pono to meets, used the line out to drive the MicroZOTL 2/HE-1000, and gotten many surprised, positive responses from folks who tried it. Pono can drive the HEK if you use it balanced (I have the cable for this), but at home, I use the ZOTL mostly for the HEK, and I don't go out with the HEK (too geeky), so don't use it that way often. One of these days would like to get more balanced cables to use for the Pono, as that gets the most out of it, but, for now most of the headphones I use with it are single ended.

@doctorjazz...do you use an amp with your pono player?
i don't have nor have heard an N5, but a lot of peeps seem
to like them a lot......

Apr 9, 2016 at 7:35 PM Post #31,751 of 100,887

the art of Ponography continues to advance!!! what other headphones could @doctorjazz or others get balanced
cables for that are prewired balanced internally and adapted to the PONO player?? is there a list on head-fi.org
of such headphones? that would be a useful reference!!!

Apr 9, 2016 at 7:39 PM Post #31,752 of 100,887
I believe the Hifiman headphones are all internally balanced, just add cable, the Senn 650 as well, but, no, don't know of a reference list (it may exist, though).

Apr 10, 2016 at 6:32 AM Post #31,753 of 100,887
I believe the Hifiman headphones are all internally balanced, just add cable, the Senn 650 as well, but, no, don't know of a reference list (it may exist, though).

I clearly have doubts regarding this, I was going to order a balanced cable on moon audio to pair my SE846 with my previously owned HM802, I didn't because the "balanced" technology wasn't clear to me, it works just by swapping the cable or an additional modding is required?

Apr 10, 2016 at 8:51 AM Post #31,754 of 100,887
I should have been more specific, I was referring to the Hifiman planar models. I do believe the Senn 650 also does not need mods. I did not mean to imply, though, that you could just do this with any headphone. They do need to be wired for it, and if not, it would require mods to the headphones. (I could also be completely wrong).
Again, I'm not expert in the technical aspects here, but it seems iems with removable cables can be balanced just by changing cables.

Apr 11, 2016 at 3:51 PM Post #31,755 of 100,887
  Hi, may I know if this DAC is better than the Fiio E10K? The E10K happens to be at the same price point.

Sorry, I am not familiar with the E10K. All I know is, the ZuperDAC is really great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back