The discovery thread!
Dec 29, 2011 at 2:40 PM Post #242 of 100,516
Ok, here we go. 

Notes: 

I'm using Jays large silicone tips on the GR07, and the large stock GR07 tips on the Isurus. All playback is done through foobar2000 v1.1.10, with the bitrate of each song beside the title. I didn't use any EQ, and I A/B'ed each phone within 3 seconds of hearing the other.

Comparison:

1) Attaboy - YoYo Ma (Apple Lossless)

GR07: Magical. I almost forgot how amazing the timbre of the GR07 is. Violins and cello sound like you're being kissed by 
a wood fairy. This is probably due to the slight mid-forward presentation/warmth of the GR07, and its biocellulose diapraghm. 

Isurus: It holds its own on this song, but just no match for the sweet, sweet timbre of the GR07. Attack and decay and imaging are great, but I just felt like there was something
missing from the overall sound vs the GR07

Monoprice 8320: Against the Isurus and GR07? LOL

2) One and Only - Adele (MP3 256)

Isurus: Slightly dry vocals. The treble commands a fair bit of attention and shares the stage with Adele
Sounds very good though.

GR07: Again, fantastic. Adele's emotions shine through her voice. The vocals take center stage and 
the instruments serve as backup. The GR07 reminds me why its the king of drums, and the cymbal crashes
are nothing short of superb.

MP 8320: I'm just not going to bother...

3) Underground Kings - Drake (MP3 320)

GR07: Great bass and plenty of sub bass rumble. The synthesized sounds (I don't know what they're called)
are fast. I can hear every note played. Mids are fleshed out and sound about right.

Isurus: The Isurus has an airier sound due to the dry mids. Treble is emphasized. It has about the 
same amount of mid-bass and slightly less sub bass rumble. It keeps up with the GR07 speed-wise.

4) Crazy - Gnarls Barkley (MP3 320)

Isurus: Bass is very present, but not overpowering. Dry vocals. Soundstage is very nice, just about the same as GR07 +/- a few inches

GR07: Same thoughts about bass, it's in line with the song. Vocals are noticably more lush sounding, and I can hear the background singers better (in a good way)

5) I Want You - Kings of Leon (MP3 320)

Isurus: Bass is deep and impactful, and the treble is extended and prominent. The high hat sounds good and hass plenty of shimmer.
You can hear each strums of the bass guitar, and the texture is nice. The snare is good, but not perfect. Overall, good.

GR07: The bass reaches deeper than that of the Isurus, and hits harder. The mids feel more fleshed out and intimate, which adds to the overall sound experience. Guitars are more forward and textured. The high hat and snares sound just right (I play the drums). The GR07 just sounds better.

6) Lonely Boy - The Black Keys (MP3 320)

Isurus: I'm getting lazy. The guitars have very good crunch, and the Isurus does a good job of conveying the garage band sound.
Something about the drums just sounds a little off though.

GR07: The GR07 says to the Isurus "anything you can do I can do better!" The guitars are as crunchy as Raisin Bran Crunch! With it's more fleshed out mids, the GR07 gives the song a grander sound. When the chorus comes around,everything blends together magically, while retaining the superb instrument separation. Again, all hail the king of drums.

Comfort: The Isurus is by no means uncomfortable. But the GR07 simply vanishes in your ear!

Conclusion.

I think you'll have gathered by now that I really prefer the GR07. However, remember than it costs almost 6 times as much as the Isurus. I like the GR07 more because of its more forward mids and amazing, textured sound.
If you find that you like a drier sound with more pronounced treble, I think the Isurus will suit your needs for a heck of a low price. Thanks for reading!

Dec 29, 2011 at 2:41 PM Post #243 of 100,516
I paid $20 for these. Twenty...dollars. How do these sound so good? These are a bit sibilant, like others have said but that can be fixed with some EQ and/or burn in (so I hear) so I'll let them burn for a while before writing down any definitive impressions but I have to say that I'm impressed with these things so far.

Dec 29, 2011 at 3:11 PM Post #247 of 100,516
Aren't the stock tips meant to be a poor show though?

Least make it fair on em eh
tongue_smile.gif

Dec 29, 2011 at 3:32 PM Post #249 of 100,516
Oops yeah so i see.
redface.gif

So do you think the Isurus are a good way for getting a taste of the higher end dynamics?

The main reason i plumped for these is i really fancied the FX700/EX1000 but didn't want to spent that amount and not know what i was getting into.

For some reason i now far enjoy dynamic phones over ba which sounds cold to me.

Dec 29, 2011 at 3:37 PM Post #250 of 100,516

Quote:
Oops yeah so i see.
redface.gif

So do you think the Isurus are a good way for getting a taste of the higher end dynamics?

The main reason i plumped for these is i really fancied the FX700/EX1000 but didn't want to spent that amount and not know what i was getting into.

For some reason i now far enjoy dynamic phones over ba which sounds cold to me.

Hmm...I'd say if you really want a top tier dynamic sound, just spring for GR07 if you can afford to. Otherwise, the Isurus is great if you don't hear anything really top-tier. It's a fantastic IEM though

Dec 29, 2011 at 3:41 PM Post #251 of 100,516
Well I think the TT does indeed have a solid value for dynamic driver. I know there many out there that are technically better or sound better. But for the cost I think they do represent a higher end sound. When comparing to my EX600. I know the EX600 is a technically better iem but sound wise for the music I listen to they aren't leaps and bounds better. I honestly think it would be more of a side grade versus a solid upgrade. The EX600 does have a more proper monitor style sound to them and does have wider stage.. I think for the bux it will be hard to do one actually better than the isurus. I know there has been many a newer budget fi finds around here as of late but. I have not yet found one that represents a better value than these 2 iems that are on this thread.

Dec 29, 2011 at 3:46 PM Post #252 of 100,516

Quote:
Hmm...I'd say if you really want a top tier dynamic sound, just spring for GR07 if you can afford to. Otherwise, the Isurus is great if you don't hear anything really top-tier. It's a fantastic IEM though

Eke

Do you have any experience with the Tfi10s? Can you compare the GR07s to TFi10s? Are they any similar, better worse?
Another member said here that (of course his opinion) the Isurus is actually better than the TFI10s. I can understand better than many but TFi10s?

Any input will be appreciated. Looking forward to receiving these from Ebay.
Looks like the one I purchased from ebay already sold 10 in the last few days (since this thread became live) :)

Dec 29, 2011 at 3:56 PM Post #253 of 100,516
Well it was more spur of the moment than anything else.

My only other dynamic is the jvc xx, whilst good i know there's much better and im hoping the Isurus will at least give me a taste of a decent dynamic.

As for soundstage, my p4 does a grand job there so it should be a good pairing.

Quote:
Well I think the TT does indeed have a solid value for dynamic driver. I know there many out there that are technically better or sound better. But for the cost I think they do represent a higher end sound. When comparing to my EX600. I know the EX600 is a technically better iem but sound wise for the music I listen to they aren't leaps and bounds better. I honestly think it would be more of a side grade versus a solid upgrade. The EX600 does have a more proper monitor style sound to them and does have wider stage.. I think for the bux it will be hard to do one actually better than the isurus. I know there has been many a newer budget fi finds around here as of late but. I have not yet found one that represents a better value than these 2 iems that are on this thread.

Dec 29, 2011 at 3:59 PM Post #254 of 100,516

Quote:
Eke

Do you have any experience with the Tfi10s? Can you compare the GR07s to TFi10s? Are they any similar, better worse?
Another member said here that (of course his opinion) the Isurus is actually better than the TFI10s. I can understand better than many but TFi10s?

Any input will be appreciated. Looking forward to receiving these from Ebay.
Looks like the one I purchased from ebay already sold 10 in the last few days (since this thread became live) :)

I actually bought one of the black friday TF10s. The GR07 is far superior IMO. In fact, I was the one who prefers the Isurus to the TF10. The Isurus' mids are more present than the TF10, and they're way more comfy. The difference between the TF10 and the GR07 can be described about the same as the the diff between the isaurus and GR07. 

Dec 29, 2011 at 4:26 PM Post #255 of 100,516
My Philips SHE3580 were in the mail today. Man I hate packages that you have to destroy to open! Stock tips are pretty much useless imo, because they lack support for a secure seal. UE silicons fit a bit loosely but they do a much better job. The cable is springy, prone to tangle and due to lack of a chin slider not easily worn over the ear, but what do you expect for the price?

That said, even right out of the box these sound very good for the money. Better balanced than the vast majority of IEMs I've heard in this price range, bass has good extension, quality and quantity. Mids are clear, nicely detailed and neither too forward nor laid back. Highs sound slightly less refined in comparison, but still acceptable for the price, unoffensive and without major sibilance.

Overall these sounded very nice and didn't show any glaring weaknesses during my first hour of auditioning, so kudos to Joe Bloggs and Dsnuts, nice find.
smile_phones.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back