The discovery thread!
Jun 13, 2014 at 3:02 PM Post #25,202 of 100,504
Anyone who wants to try a member of Porta Pro, ksc-35, Sporta pro, ksc75 family and would like to mod, I highly suggest you to kramer mod and recable them (if possible also adding 75ohm metal film resistors). They jump in to an unbeliavable level.

Jun 13, 2014 at 6:59 PM Post #25,204 of 100,504
Jun 13, 2014 at 7:29 PM Post #25,205 of 100,504

Thanks to you and Charliemotta. I'll snoop around and see what I can find.

**NM...apparently they hate Canadians, lol. $52 to $93 on Amazon **

Sorry about that . I see I had the numbers reversed, $42 instead of $24.  Probably stems from that cement truck / bicycle accident.    I forgot what I was talking about.

Jun 13, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #25,206 of 100,504

At London Drugs here on the Wet Coast, they were selling the Portapro's for $30 for quite a while. If I already didn't have the Sportapro's, I would have jumped on that deal.

You can probably get the Sportapro's online for less than $30. That's what I did. Same drivers as the Portapro's.

Jun 13, 2014 at 9:19 PM Post #25,207 of 100,504

At London Drugs here on the Wet Coast, they were selling the Portapro's for $30 for quite a while. If I already didn't have the Sportapro's, I would have jumped on that deal.

You can probably get the Sportapro's online for less than $30. That's what I did. Same drivers as the Portapro's.

You can get the Koss Ksc75 for $9.99 at Kmart. Same drivers also.

Jun 13, 2014 at 9:25 PM Post #25,208 of 100,504
Jun 14, 2014 at 12:36 AM Post #25,209 of 100,504
I'm not sure this qualifies as a discovery, but I've been playing with hi-rez downloads. Mostly have gotten them from HDTracks, including the 1st 2 albums by the Band (classics, if you are in to Americana and haven't heard them). I downloaded the 3rd and 4th Band albums from ProStudioMasters (Stage Fright and Cahoots, also great, though probably not at the iconic level of the 1st 2). I've poked around a little in the thread on these downloads, and generally been on the side of defending HDTracks, who get a lot of flack there (about their flac, ha ha ha ha) concerning sound quality. It's really hard to make judgements without the same album coming from different sources in same resolution, but I have the sense that the ProStudioMasters downloads do sound better to me than the HDTracks ones. I can't quite place it, some of them have a slight unnatural sound, maybe a haze or electronic quality, not quite sure how to describe it, but I hear it, not on all, but on many HDTracks albums. I didn't get this sense at all listening to the ProStudioMasters albums, different albums, again, but I think I'll check out more from there (they, unfortunately, have a much smaller catalog).
OK, haven't posted any music in a few days, weekend generally when I get to do that more, here goes

<br>And something new<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/jbiFcPhccu8?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>

And from the sublime to the rediculous...Everybody Knows about the Bird, especially since Family Guy, but do you know the follow up?...

Jun 14, 2014 at 1:04 AM Post #25,210 of 100,504
Love that Tune-Yards track, Water Fountain is a great tune.

Jun 14, 2014 at 1:29 AM Post #25,211 of 100,504
Me too, heard it on Thealternateside, which broadcasts mornings on the air in the New York Area on 91.5, but is an internet stream (thealternateside.org), indie rock and related, ordered it from Amazon soon as I got out of the car!

Jun 14, 2014 at 9:21 AM Post #25,212 of 100,504
I'm not sure this qualifies as a discovery, but I've been playing with hi-rez downloads. Mostly have gotten them from HDTracks, including the 1st 2 albums by the Band (classics, if you are in to Americana and haven't heard them). I downloaded the 3rd and 4th Band albums from ProStudioMasters (Stage Fright and Cahoots, also great, though probably not at the iconic level of the 1st 2). I've poked around a little in the thread on these downloads, and generally been on the side of defending HDTracks, who get a lot of flack there (about their flac, ha ha ha ha) concerning sound quality. It's really hard to make judgements without the same album coming from different sources in same resolution, but I have the sense that the ProStudioMasters downloads do sound better to me than the HDTracks ones. I can't quite place it, some of them have a slight unnatural sound, maybe a haze or electronic quality, not quite sure how to describe it, but I hear it, not on all, but on many HDTracks albums. I didn't get this sense at all listening to the ProStudioMasters albums, different albums, again, but I think I'll check out more from there (they, unfortunately, have a much smaller catalog).
OK, haven't posted any music in a few days, weekend generally when I get to do that more, here goes

&amp;lt;br /&amp;gt; And something new&amp;lt;iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/jbiFcPhccu8?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen&amp;gt;

And from the sublime to the rediculous...Everybody Knows about the Bird, especially since Family Guy, but do you know the follow up?...

love that surfing bird tune, really rocks!  good recording too!   splash splash, i was takin a bath...

Jun 14, 2014 at 10:44 AM Post #25,213 of 100,504
And if you still haven't heard of the bird....

Jun 14, 2014 at 12:08 PM Post #25,214 of 100,504
Decided to the the Spiral Dot tips another shot on the H3 and spend more time listening. I think my initial impressions were a bit off. These two are not bad together. I must admit I don't listen to the H3 much with all the other gear I have here, but each time I go back to it I remember why I was initially impressed. It's stil one of the best universals out there (and is a steal for the current price on amazon of like $240). 

Jun 14, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #25,215 of 100,504

check out London Drugs in store. I think they have several Loss headphones including the PortaPro on sale right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back