The discovery thread!
Jun 11, 2014 at 4:48 PM Post #25,186 of 100,520
I still do like it. It's not as transparent or as clear as the TE-05, but I would have to compare it to the Tenore to see how the two rank. The MA750 also isn't neutral at all.

Thanks......so many to choose from these days. It seems Phillips now has a TX-2 and another 97xx series??!!! Just when I think I have narrowed my search more IEM's pop up on the scene.

Jun 11, 2014 at 7:51 PM Post #25,187 of 100,520
  Anyone here have any impressions with the Audio Technica RE700s? I like the retro style... but can't seem to find any reviews about the sound, anywhere...

yes, i use them almost every night for amazon streaming mp3s and pandora radio.  they smooth out the mp3 have great bass and subbass
and are very musical. great for EDM, rock and solo vocals.  quite worth the price.  but for quality listening to better sources way prefer my on-1s
doppios and isingulos.

Jun 12, 2014 at 5:47 AM Post #25,188 of 100,520
Those Yammies are interesting. One moment they look kinda cool and original, the next moment they look like they were driven over by a truck. Even photos of them being worn are strange - it can look quite fine and comfortable in some pictures while others it seems so unnatural it's almost like they were photoshopped on.

Looks like the Beats lawsuit lit a fire under their posteriors to make a design that pretty much no one else can claim belongs to them.

I look forward to impressions regardless :).

Jun 12, 2014 at 6:15 AM Post #25,189 of 100,520
guys should really pay some attention to the Koss ksc75. I have them couple of days now and they are really pleasing me.

the sound is really detailed, full of emotion and quite crisp. there is just the right amount of base frequencies (but the sub-base could be a little more :D) and it doesn't bleed into mids. the thing is, it somehow manages to really divide sound into different frequency spectrums and they never interact with each other in a bad way. thus, different instruments are so well separated and articulated, that it can handle even the busiest rock music. sound isn't thin, but it isn't thick either. in terms of viscosity, I would say it is somewhere between WD-40 and water...

soundstage is pretty good. nothing super wide or deep, but the sound field is well spaced out and everything has its own positioning. it does make you feel like you are there in the music and doesn't sound like two drivers hanging on the ears. there's zero isolation though, so you need to listen in quieter rooms for the sound to really spread out.

as for comfort, they are pretty good actually. if you bend the clips just the right way, then you could probably wear them for hours without any discomfort.

highly recommended. this is the sort of headphone, that if the cables give out, I will go extra length to re-cable them in something more durable and good looking. speaking of looks though. well there's the thing that Koss made the most economy on :D

Jun 12, 2014 at 7:09 AM Post #25,190 of 100,520
I recently got the PortaPros because they're, weirdly enough, cheaper than the KSC75s here ($20 for the PortaPros, $25 for the KSC75s). I gotta agree, everybody should grab a pair from this Koss family. They've become my favourite for work - they're not super isolating or anything, but everyone in this job has to wear headphones anyway so I'm not interfering with anyone with the small leakage I've got. Guys with cranked volume on their closed cans usually disturb me more than anything. I can wear them for hours without discomfort, they're breathable for summer use and fit well enough under winter hats when it's colder. 

Yeah, I gushed about them a little while back, but I can still confidently say that the Porta Pros are the best investment I've made in this hobby. Of course I've got better gear, but the Kosses tick so many boxes at a low price that they're a real joy. I wish they'd been my first investment in this hobby and I certainly hope more of the new people give them a try before whatever bang-for-buck-hype-of-the-moment is doing the rounds. The Koss driver has truly stood the test of time.

I'm gonna get my sister a pair for her birthday. Hell, I'm probably gonna get them for lots of people's birthdays :)

Jun 12, 2014 at 11:18 AM Post #25,191 of 100,520
:sweat_smile:... Buy them from Japan , kakuku.com using buysmartjapan:smiley:

I have bought the Tenore using BuySmartJapan.
Received a defective unit - neither BuySmartJapan nor Zero Audio were willing to help.
Left with no IEM and no money.

Jun 12, 2014 at 3:39 PM Post #25,193 of 100,520

I have bought the Tenore using BuySmartJapan.
Received a defective unit - neither BuySmartJapan nor Zero Audio were willing to help.
Left with no IEM and no money.

That sucks. I got my Tenores from ebay seller Woodlandhills. Unfortunately they had some driver issues, but fortunately Woodlanhills is exchanging them and also paying for the return shipping. So they seem like a pretty good place to get them.

Jun 12, 2014 at 3:43 PM Post #25,194 of 100,520
  I recently got the PortaPros because they're, weirdly enough, cheaper than the KSC75s here ($20 for the PortaPros, $25 for the KSC75s). I gotta agree, everybody should grab a pair from this Koss family. They've become my favourite for work - they're not super isolating or anything, but everyone in this job has to wear headphones anyway so I'm not interfering with anyone with the small leakage I've got. Guys with cranked volume on their closed cans usually disturb me more than anything. I can wear them for hours without discomfort, they're breathable for summer use and fit well enough under winter hats when it's colder. 

Yeah, I gushed about them a little while back, but I can still confidently say that the Porta Pros are the best investment I've made in this hobby. Of course I've got better gear, but the Kosses tick so many boxes at a low price that they're a real joy. I wish they'd been my first investment in this hobby and I certainly hope more of the new people give them a try before whatever bang-for-buck-hype-of-the-moment is doing the rounds. The Koss driver has truly stood the test of time.

I'm gonna get my sister a pair for her birthday. Hell, I'm probably gonna get them for lots of people's birthdays :)

They were my first investment. Unfortunately it backfired for me - I thought that if the ksc75/portapros sounded this good at this price, then I just had to try out more expensive headphones because they would have to sound that much better, right? Not quite right lol!

Jun 12, 2014 at 4:39 PM Post #25,195 of 100,520
The S500 was my first purchase and I haven't found any pair of headphones that match the price to sound quality ratio. I still listen to them from time to time.

Jun 12, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #25,196 of 100,520
Yeah, these Koss ksc75 are the real deal, in terms of ultra low budget hi-fi. I prefer them to anything I'v e owned so far, including the sony xb90ex. yep, these beat some quite god 100$ iems. I'm pretty sure, these titanium drivers were sprinkled with magic :D

Jun 12, 2014 at 8:31 PM Post #25,197 of 100,520
  Yeah, these Koss ksc75 are the real deal, in terms of ultra low budget hi-fi. I prefer them to anything I'v e owned so far, including the sony xb90ex. yep, these beat some quite god 100$ iems. I'm pretty sure, these titanium drivers were sprinkled with magic :D

You can't go wrong for $14 bucks.

Jun 12, 2014 at 11:08 PM Post #25,198 of 100,520
Jun 13, 2014 at 10:23 AM Post #25,199 of 100,520

CONCLUSION: So how does the DN-2000 stand against its predecessor? It’s hard to say because of two things: DN-2000 is more expensive and such price difference can be hard to quantify in terms of value especially against the DN-1000. Secondly, the sound signature is quite different between the two which leads us to a conclusion that people who already own the DN-1000 may not necessarily like the new sound. Personally, I find the DN-2000 less fun/musical and more analytical but I prefer it because I usually listen to heavy metal over electronic music which is better on the DN-1000. The DN-2000 is a GREAT hybrid on its own right but whether one will prefer this over the DN-1000 is more like a matter of personal preference. 

Nice review.
I think they compliment each other, I totally agree with most of your observations. I didn't have any problems with sibilance on my pair going out of a Sony NWZ-ZX1, and I had a perfect seal, will have to check to see what tips I was using. To me the DN-2000 gave a nice neutral presentation with an analytical approach. DN-1000 does have more bass quantity and that gives it a nice fun sound, but certainly not neutral.

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back