The discovery thread!
Jul 1, 2012 at 2:56 AM Post #2,447 of 100,800
recieved my fx101 last night, and out of the box they sound like ****... so last night i started burning em in with my drum and bass playlist and after 10 hours of burn in i cant see any difference in the sound quality.. before fx101 i had skullcandy riot and TBH they sound much better than these fx101.. i am burning em in at 75% volume...is there something wrong with my burn in method...also how much burn in time is sufficient. if the sound doesn't change soon i am gonna burn them for real..
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 1, 2012 at 3:08 AM Post #2,448 of 100,800
Give it some time unfortunately burn in doesn't magically happen in 10 hours. Keep at it and make sure you got the right tips size going on. Too small of tip and the sound will be sibiant with little to no bass.

Your definitely not hearing those right. I like suggesting crap earphones on the worlds number one audiphile site so mods can kick me out and throw down the ban hammer. Lol. My pair sound great actually. The only way my pair will sound like what your describing is if I throw those in with no tips in my ears.

Jul 1, 2012 at 3:13 AM Post #2,449 of 100,800
Quote:
Give it some time unfortunately burn in doesn't magically happen in 10 hours. Keep at it and make sure you got the right tips size going on. Too small of tip and the sound will be sibiant with little to no bass.

i can so easily listen to them at 90% volume so should i burn them at full volume or around 70%...and for how many hours do i have to burn em???
i am using the smallest eartips because they give me a nice fit better than the other two.
i trust your suggestion thats why i bought em..:).thanks

Jul 1, 2012 at 3:18 AM Post #2,450 of 100,800
Quote:
recieved my fx101 last night, and out of the box they sound like ****... so last night i started burning em in with my drum and bass playlist and after 10 hours of burn in i cant see any difference in the sound quality.. before fx101 i had skullcandy riot and TBH they sound much better than these fx101.. i am burning em in at 75% volume...is there something wrong with my burn in method...also how much burn in time is sufficient. if the sound doesn't change soon i am gonna burn them for real..
evil_smiley.gif

To give you the help you need we need to know 3 very important things

1. What is your source? => This is what your playing them through be it a CD player PC ipod ect the device your playing music from
    Why is this important?=> If your source is of poor quality no matter what you do they will sound bad and not give you the sound quality you want

2. What quality is the music or material being played?=> This is the bit rate of your material is recorded in the higher the bit rate the better the quality and the better it will sound when played though decent gear (if you have crappy gear well its still going to sound bad even if the source it good lol)
   Why does the audio quality matter?=> If your songs for instance are like 128kbs in bit rate (like a mp3 you get for free and what not) it will sound terrible no matter what you do or what you play it with so getting good material like hi quality movies and music will make for a much better experience.

3. Are you getting a good seal?=> This is the fit of the earphones into your ear canal
   Why is the seal important? The design of earphones allows them to channel sound into your ear canal through a seal by the use of the ear tips provided by the earphones and range is sizes for a better fit. If you don't have a good seal there will be a significant reduction is bass output and overall sound quality and little to no isolation at all depending on the design of the earphone. 

Again i cant stress the 3 above enough because if any of the 3 are lacking in anyway it really is going to make your sound quality from them suck no matter what you do so read through it and give it a try as these really are great iems. So please give us feed back so we can help you out a bit and i see your a new member so welcome to head-fi and sorry about your wallet!
beerchug.gif

Jul 1, 2012 at 3:21 AM Post #2,451 of 100,800
It sounds like your source is kinda on the weak side power wise. Basic rule for burn in is. If they sound fairly loud to you take them out of your ears and then throw a half a notch more volume. If that means Max volume go for it.  Keep it at that for the duration.

Burn in will clean up the sound on them and tighten up the bass end. Though for me at least even on open box the bass was pumpin. Again proper sound seal using the right sized tip is %100 important. Try a tip size one up from what you just used and get a nice good seal in your ear before you try n listen to those again. Keep the burn on as the highs will mellow out as well.

Great points Libertad.

Jul 1, 2012 at 3:39 AM Post #2,452 of 100,800
Quote:

To give you the help you need we need to know 3 very important things

1. What is your source? => This is what your playing them through be it a CD player PC ipod ect the device your playing music from
    Why is this important?=> If your source is of poor quality no matter what you do they will sound bad and not give you the sound quality you want

2. What quality is the music or material being played?=> This is the bit rate of your material is recorded in the higher the bit rate the better the quality and the better it will sound when played though decent gear (if you have crappy gear well its still going to sound bad even if the source it good lol)
   Why does the audio quality matter?=> If your songs for instance are like 128kbs in bit rate (like a mp3 you get for free and what not) it will sound terrible no matter what you do or what you play it with so getting good material like hi quality movies and music will make for a much better experience.

3. Are you getting a good seal?=> This is the fit of the earphones into your ear canal
   Why is the seal important? The design of earphones allows them to channel sound into your ear canal through a seal by the use of the ear tips provided by the earphones and range is sizes for a better fit. If you don't have a good seal there will be a significant reduction is bass output and overall sound quality and little to no isolation at all depending on the design of the earphone. 

Again i cant stress the 3 above enough because if any of the 3 are lacking in anyway it really is going to make your sound quality from them suck no matter what you do so read through it and give it a try as these really are great iems. So please give us feed back so we can help you out a bit and i see your a new member so welcome to head-fi and sorry about your wallet!
beerchug.gif

hey there..
the source is ipod touch 4G with EQu and sonicmax pro.
every song is in mp3 format and the bitrate is 320kbs (the best quality)
and for the fit i have always used the small eartips so i think small fits me the best...they had medium size on when i opened them so i gave em a try but it was very uncomfortable..thanks

Jul 1, 2012 at 3:46 AM Post #2,453 of 100,800
Quote:
evil_smiley.gif

I have the FX101s and they are my favorite pair. I haven't tried any high end IEMs, but have used many pair in the $25 and under range and these are at the top of my list. Definitely burn these in for a long time. I listened to them briefly after I first got them and was dissappointed. I then let them burn in for 75 hours on pink noise before trying them and absolutely loved them. If you want bass with a powerful punch, these will give it to you, just let them break in a bit.

Jul 1, 2012 at 4:06 AM Post #2,454 of 100,800
Yeah your source is great and the music is definitely up to par not so sure about the eq as eq's in general can distort the sound and degrade the sound quality. But its to your preference so feel to use the eq when listening to music i just wouldn't advise it for burning in your pair because that possibility of distortion make it more likely for damage the drivers at higher volumes, especially if your burning them in.

Jul 1, 2012 at 6:12 AM Post #2,455 of 100,800
When I first put my FX40 into my ear it sounded muddy and shrill. I was like... high clarity?? what clarity?? Anyway, after about 120 hours I have on them now they are a completely different earphone.

Jul 1, 2012 at 7:43 AM Post #2,456 of 100,800
Quote:

I have the FX101s and they are my favorite pair. I haven't tried any high end IEMs, but have used many pair in the $25 and under range and these are at the top of my list. Definitely burn these in for a long time. I listened to them briefly after I first got them and was dissappointed. I then let them burn in for 75 hours on pink noise before trying them and absolutely loved them. If you want bass with a powerful punch, these will give it to you, just let them break in a bit.

i am using my drum and bass playlist...is it okay or i too have to burn them with pink noise

Jul 1, 2012 at 7:45 AM Post #2,457 of 100,800
Quote:
Yeah your source is great and the music is definitely up to par not so sure about the eq as eq's in general can distort the sound and degrade the sound quality. But its to your preference so feel to use the eq when listening to music i just wouldn't advise it for burning in your pair because that possibility of distortion make it more likely for damage the drivers at higher volumes, especially if your burning them in.

yeah i know..right now i am burning in by default player and the equilizer is also set to default...sonicmax is just for my riot's..it adds a little punch to the bass.

Jul 1, 2012 at 11:14 AM Post #2,458 of 100,800
Quote:
i am using my drum and bass playlist...is it okay or i too have to burn them with pink noise

Some people think pink noise is necessary while others don't like it as they prefer actual music. So I would say drum n bass is perfectly fine. The while point is to play sounds throughout the frequency range.

Also, I read you had been burning them in on 70% volume and you were considering more. I think 70% is fine, maybe up to 80% but not higher. As someone else stated, you wouldn't want to accidentally damage the drivers by playing them too loud for an extended period of time. Just keep doing what your doing and try the FX101s in 2-3 days.

Jul 1, 2012 at 12:06 PM Post #2,459 of 100,800
Quote:
Some people think pink noise is necessary while others don't like it as they prefer actual music. So I would say drum n bass is perfectly fine. The while point is to play sounds throughout the frequency range.

Also, I read you had been burning them in on 70% volume and you were considering more. I think 70% is fine, maybe up to 80% but not higher. As someone else stated, you wouldn't want to accidentally damage the drivers by playing them too loud for an extended period of time. Just keep doing what your doing and try the FX101s in 2-3 days.

listening to them at 100% volume right now...and kinda enjoying them..i guess the burn is showing its effects.
just to be sure downloaded a pink noise file 10 min duration and put it in the playlist..:wink:/
thanks for all the info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back