The discovery thread!
Jun 25, 2012 at 8:37 PM Post #2,417 of 100,556
Quote:
Glad you got them. They will sound even better with proper burn in. Especially these carbon nanotube drivers on these. You will be surprised how nice they turn out once 100 hour of burn is in the books. In other words. Throw them on the burner.  Happy listening Mr LizardKing1.

I actually have the same initial impressions as you about the mids, they just sound a bit weird or recessed. Hopefully I'll notice a change like you did. I wasn't amazed at the level of detail athough they seemed pretty good, but then again I haven't tried them with a decent setup. Go carbon nanotubes!

Quote:
can i ask you lads why you chose the b2 over the new dba-02 mkii?   Not having a go but im about to drop some bucks on the b2 myself 
biggrin.gif

Well from what I read the MKII isn't exactly an upgrade on the first version in regards to sound, more like a sidegrade. They have a much better accessory pack, but I don't think it's better than the one on the B2 (I really like Brainwavz's attention to details when it comes to stuff like cases and tips). The cable doesn't seem very good in either case, the MKII is flat, which apparently makes it more microphonic than the braided on the B2 and doesn't help to use behind the ear, but the cable on the B2, like the one on the DBA-02 MKI, seems to get stiff after a while or get holes. So you could say the DBA-02 MKII and the B2 were tied, however the B2 is on pre-order for 109.50$ here 
etysmile.gif
 and the MKII is something like 158$.

Jun 25, 2012 at 8:43 PM Post #2,418 of 100,556
I remember on open box. The mids are definitely compressed. V like sound. Distant. Scooped even.I will just say the way they sound now they are like a dry sponge. On open box.  Notice the miracle of burn in .. After burn in. Amazing.

Lol. Same with the new FXD80s.

Jun 25, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #2,419 of 100,556
Quote:

Well from what I read the MKII isn't exactly an upgrade on the first version in regards to sound, more like a sidegrade. They have a much better accessory pack, but I don't think it's better than the one on the B2 (I really like Brainwavz's attention to details when it comes to stuff like cases and tips). The cable doesn't seem very good in either case, the MKII is flat, which apparently makes it more microphonic than the braided on the B2 and doesn't help to use behind the ear, but the cable on the B2, like the one on the DBA-02 MKI, seems to get stiff after a while or get holes. So you could say the DBA-02 MKII and the B2 were tied, however the B2 is on pre-order for 109.50$ here 
etysmile.gif
 and the MKII is something like 158$.

Cheers for that king, pretty much the same conclusions im coming to. Looking for a change from my pfe112, no real reason other than wanting something new and these seem to also be very detailed so will handle my detail desires for a while.  

Always like to have a setup i can do anything with and my go to phones were PFE112 (for detail)  hje900 (for mids and fun)  xx (for that deep down durty bass).

Just picked up my yamaha eph-100 the other day so looks like my new set-up will be.   B2's, Yamaha, xx.

Didnt know the B2's were on sale.   Trigger pulled, many thanks for pointing it out.

Jun 25, 2012 at 9:44 PM Post #2,420 of 100,556
Yes you did, eke. I still think the FXT90 has it's place, but I don't get to listen to it much anymore. So, I wish Tenso would hurry up and bill me and send my JVC IEMs (they said me not choosing a FXD70 color stop them from processing the order. GIVE ME A BREAK!! ...LOL)...

Jun 25, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #2,421 of 100,556
FX101 did burn-in for more than 40 hrs… still lacking on Mid feq….good on Electro but not for any music with vocals….. not expecting FX101 to be an balanced IEM…but Mid are too recessed for my liking…..

GR02 bass arrived few hrs back and out of box they are on the bass tuning plate - dynamic, fun, warm and sweet…mush more balanced…..not even little sibilance…while maintaining a more 3-D soundstage

enjoying electro on FX101 bass with its rumble...GR02 should be good for others

Jun 26, 2012 at 2:03 AM Post #2,423 of 100,556
I got them on ebay for around $132 EMS shipped. It seems guys that know how to do the Tenso forwarding service is getting them for much cheaper. I tried that out myself. I have no idea how to do it so I just ordered the ebay pair. Got to me quick but I spent the extra to do so. It was worth it however..

Jun 26, 2012 at 2:18 AM Post #2,425 of 100,556
I have those on order but since I already have the FXD80s I didn't do EMS this time. I figure I can wait the 2 weeks they say it would take. If you check out the FXD thread Danny got the FXD70 today. He says they are a step below the FXD80s  which makes sense.

Jun 26, 2012 at 2:58 AM Post #2,426 of 100,556
My FX40's came today and were bad.  Had them hooked up to a computer playing that drum and bass station and when I went to see how they sounded, there was a very loud hissing sound when I hit pause on the player.  Wondering if it was just the computer, hooked it up to my phone and played a audio file, the second I hit pause, there was a the hiss again that lasted about 5 seconds every time I hit pause.

Jun 26, 2012 at 4:50 PM Post #2,427 of 100,556
Quote:
At first they sound analytical but they become much more musical while maintaining definition after burn in. Clean n dynamic the sound is. Different than what is on the FX101 so worth giving a go. These have the upper hand in technicalities. More detailed and cleaner. On open box almost too much so but I am happy to say they get smoother and much more coherent after burn in and much better balanced too.

Nice. These sound like they complement the FX101's well and sound like the right IEM's for me.

Jun 27, 2012 at 11:54 PM Post #2,429 of 100,556
Just got the FR201(101 with mic) today, initial impression is good, don't sound much better than Philips 3580. will burn in some more and see.
Bass don't seem as punchy as Philips 3580, but it's a different kind of good.
Clarity is seems better than Philips across all range.

Jun 28, 2012 at 12:15 PM Post #2,430 of 100,556
After a week of using the FX101's I don't have much to complain about.
Dynamic range on them is amazing. They are very revealing too. There is a lot of bass compared to most hi-fi IEMs. There is bass-warmth but not overly so that everything sounds boomy.
Soundstage is great. Isolation is just average and the tips I got with them don't work great on them.
Imaging is also better then expected. I now also understand that some people find these a bit sibilant. It doesn't happen in many tracks, but these can be a sound sharp sometimes, just the way I like it.
Excellent budget stuff, I would rank them almost at the same level (7.5) as Hisoundaudio Crystals (8). For people who need bass and still want very good sounding IEMs without paying $50 or more.
Crystals don't have the same kind of bass at all, I just wanted to trow in a well known IEM, not that the bass is bad on the crystals, it's actually quite good (specially quality vs quantity), but good in another way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back