The discovery thread!
May 2, 2014 at 12:10 PM Post #24,226 of 103,531
More Tenore impressions:

Inks:  "The Tenores are much better than the Bassos IMO and most users prefer the Tenores from what I've read. The bass is just right. I was actually going to complain a bit that the bass may be lacking a bit but went back to Sony Hybrids and definitely do not think so anymore. Any less will be lacking and any more would just darken them for no reason.

These are hard to fault, maybe I would prefer a bit more bass body, but this is a micro driver and for this type of IEM, the bass is as great as it can get and it's definitely better bass than any BA and MAs that I've heard."

Lexus91:  "Found this gem last week when looking around an audio store (the tenore i mean). Trying stuff here and there and none took my attention, until the clerk asked me to try these baby.

First impression "damn these sound gorgeous". The sound does feels "expensive" for me. When the clerk told me that it cost "only" $70 it completely took me by surprise. I expect somewhere around $150-200 for the sound. The overall sound signature, the amazing vocals, treble's is pretty accurate not too bright and not hurtin my ear. And the bass,, It might not be much in quantity but I believe the quality is very good. 

The staging is also really really wide. I almost cannot find any complaints for the price tag. I even prefer them over some other more expensive IEM.

I finally decided to buy them today for closer look. I'm trying to compare them to my UE11, it is not surprising that it lacks the amazing sub bass punch of the UE 11 (the price tag and number of driver simply don't lie). The details was also lacking compared to UE11, but I think its still fine. The tuning and presentation is just amazing on the Tenores. The sound stage of the tenores also wider and deeper.

UE 11 has the wow factor and i loved them, but recently because of my TH600 and PHVI listening to them feels so suffocating because of the sound stage. with the Tenore's I don't feel so... I might be biased because its so fun to find an amazing price to performance ratio earphone though :D... but yeah love the tenore"

May 2, 2014 at 12:32 PM Post #24,229 of 103,531
[COLOR=FF00AA][COLOR=FF00AA][COLOR=FF00AA]
Sure, I know in theory about synergy in components, mostly don't get a chance to play with it myself... How many high end preamps does one have at home to swap and compare, for example. Found that the Ray Samuels HR-2 didn't sound as good with the JVC 850 as the ALO National, which surprised me some, but I suppose it is designed for full size cans, with different impudence and all that technical baloney. Haven't got too much to compare Geek to... Should use Peachtree DA one of these days, had headphone amp, but when I'm there I prefer to use speakers (besides, I'm in the middle of source component meltdown) [/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]
Just did quick A-B Doppio and Tenore...Tenore really fine for inexpensive iem, wide soundstage, good detailing. Doppio, however, is another thing altogether, open space, fine, uncongested detail (this with Geek Out 1k, listening to hi-rez Grateful Dead American Beauty). Then I put in/on the JVC woodies, 850, WOW! don't think I appreciated them until now, gonna listen to them to lull myself to sleep, night all....(the GO1000 and another recent arrival, the Ray Samuels Emmeline HR-2, are completely changing what I think of many of my phones, not to mention giving me lots of listening pleasure. Associated equipment is ALL,man!)

Glad you are discovering the synergy of different source chains and different phones!  I finally got my GO750 and burned it in  Its very powerful and
has lots of headroom and liveliness to the output.    I agree with DS that it outperforms its price point at the Kickstarter levels, smooth and musical.
Still i listen mostly to my  Digital Renaissance hybrid NOS dac with an output to the Cambridge Audio Model 12 preamp headphone amp and ON 1
wooden phones. true reference hi fi output chain of sound...  i wish someone would make a NOS nonupsampling dac that doesn't need external power like the Muse 1543 does need....as good as the Geek is its still an oversampling chip with a "digital" sound to it, while the NOS units have a much more
analogue sound....trying to get my buddy Ben at MOJO Audio to build me a portable NOS dac, but his units start at 2500$ in full size form so its unlikely..
Maybe Ray Samuels could do it....NOS (non oversampling)  dacs have a less fatiguing and more brain friendly sound through them....the D42 IBasso
Mambo comes close....cause its limited to 48 hz output ceiling...

May 2, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #24,230 of 103,531
Im fine with straight down..my only issue is the cable. Not bad cable, but I lift weights, and the cable is kinda catchy, but I will be getting a cable soon. Possibly fbi silver cable or just spc from btg audio. Either way, if it is nylon sheethed it doesnt cling as much. And right angle plug as dx90 h.o. is on bottom. That is reason I sold my heaven vi's, flat cable was soooo clingy.

May 2, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #24,231 of 103,531
There seems to be so many contenders out these days that I never know what to upgrade to! My Q40 headphones are much better since I got my Shure pads for it and I'm loving these but I crave my IEM dosage. I mean it might seem like I'm really picky but it boils down to a few things really;

Comfort (Light, unobtrusive, comfortable to wear straight down) and sound (Looking for something a notch above the Bassos that will excel in pop music with female vocals, piano/instrumental music and dance music). Comfort is almost as important as the sound to me.

May 2, 2014 at 1:02 PM Post #24,232 of 103,531
  There seems to be so many contenders out these days that I never know what to upgrade to! My Q40 headphones are much better since I got my Shure pads for it and I'm loving these but I crave my IEM dosage. I mean it might seem like I'm really picky but it boils down to a few things really;

Comfort (Light, unobtrusive, comfortable to wear straight down) and sound (Looking for something a notch above the Bassos that will excel in pop music with female vocals, piano/instrumental music and dance music). Comfort is almost as important as the sound to me.

Indeed, thinksound on1s, Phillips X1 and L2, the final audio heaven VI, so many choices...

I wish I had them :frowning2:

But....if you read a certain thread, I think you'll find that I will be content with the earphone collection I acquired.

May 2, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #24,233 of 103,531
  Indeed, thinksound on1s, Phillips X1 and L2, the final audio heaven VI, so many choices...

I wish I had them :frowning2:

But....if you read a certain thread, I think you'll find that I will be content with the earphone collection I acquired.

It's a pity that a lot of IEMs seem to be designed or more suited to being worn over the ear, something which I just never find comfortable for myself personally.

May 2, 2014 at 1:04 PM Post #24,234 of 103,531

So, what are you going to get? And have you ruled out the KC06's or the Tenores? If so, I'm not sure why, as they both seem to match what you're looking for (and for an affordable price). 

May 2, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #24,235 of 103,531
  It's a pity that a lot of IEMs seem to be designed or more suited to being worn over the ear, something which I just never find comfortable for myself personally.

I Definitely agree. I wish a lot of the iems' had the intention of being worn down...

JVC's woody FX series has an option to be worn over ear, but that option is a must for people who want a comfortable fit (at least from what it looks like), but I think it can be worn down to be honest.

The sony xba-h3 temps me to wear them down because wearing them over ear is pretty uncomfortable for me...and the fit isn't even that good!

However, there IS a new iem that is meant to be worn down, and that is the one I just acquired, the ath-ckr9.

Now, when that puppy gets sold for $150, try to audition it, because in about half an hour, I'm about to post the pictures and LIGHT impressions.

May 2, 2014 at 1:16 PM Post #24,236 of 103,531
I Definitely agree. I wish a lot of the iems' had the intention of being worn down...

JVC's woody FX series has an option to be worn over ear, but that option is a must for people who want a comfortable fit (at least from what it looks like), but I think it can be worn down to be honest.

The sony xba-h3 temps me to wear them down because wearing them over ear is pretty uncomfortable for me...and the fit isn't even that good!

However, there IS a new iem that is meant to be worn down, and that is the one I just acquired, the ath-ckr9.

Now, when that puppy gets sold for $150, try to audition it, because in about half an hour, I'm about to post the pictures and LIGHT impressions.
im very interested in ckr9 and 10

May 2, 2014 at 1:36 PM Post #24,238 of 103,531

Now, when that puppy gets sold for $150, try to audition it, because in about half an hour, I'm about to post the pictures and LIGHT impressions. ALL HYPE IS ABOUT TO BREAK LOOSE! :)

Ftfy!

May 2, 2014 at 2:05 PM Post #24,240 of 103,531

Ftfy!

hahaha, you caught me. In all honesty, I want to express my love of these earphones at the ckr thread, but I am carefully scrutinizing any cons from this earphone before I babble about how awesome these are.

All I know so far is that the treble could be a bit more forward, the mids might be just SLIGHTLY recessed. However, I think believe that the mids are actually balanced with the bass and highs to say that it isn't really recessed. It might be the thickness of the mids bass and highs, because the m200s make the stage sound pretty closed due to the thickness. These ckr9s do not exhibit as much thickness as the m200s or the h3s, but it is close to be honest!

the bass doesn't have strong impact or punch unfortunately... :frowning2: Well I take that back, it depends on certain recordings.

These phones can puncture my ears (I'm prone to bass punch) and these do punch well when appropriate.

But there is subbass, very nice subbass. This headphone does rumble pretty well. 

If people are saying that the kc06s lack the height, this ckr9s are the epitome of height stage. It might be as good as the ASG-2, but I do not know how high the asg2's staging is...so I am disappointed to realize that! :frowning2:

Was reading on these a bit.  I couldn't figure out what the difference between the CKR9 and CKR10, any idea?

The build quality, different SQs as the ckr10s may actually be a bit more detailed than the ckr9s, might sound less thick than the ckr9s. Basically, it might be a more analytical version of the ckr9s, because to me, the ckr9s are both analytical and musical. Makes me believe that audio technica's ckr9 is the older broither of the ostrys!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back