The discovery thread!
May 1, 2014 at 10:07 PM Post #24,211 of 103,506
I have the Doppio and the Tenore, haven't directly compared them 1:1 listing session wise, but prefer the Doppio. I seem to be one of the few who minds the slightlyy washed out tone color of the Tenore (DS commented on this as well somewhere in this mega-thread, but it didn't bother him as much). Really enjoy those Doppios.

May 1, 2014 at 10:20 PM Post #24,212 of 103,506
Tenors are perfect for casual every day use vs the more technical revealing nature of the Doppios and it's efficiency means there has to be synergistic pairing for the Doppios to truly shine.. The very low .47 Ohm out of the Geek out for example pairs amazing with the Doppios. I noticed on some of my other sources the Doppios can sound harsh simply because it does not match up to the low sensitivity of the phones. Once paired with the right source however the Doppios are definitely Zero Audios flagship earphones for a reason.

I will even say they hang in there against my IM03 on the DX90 even. Which was a big surprise to me.. The Doppios is more of an analytical sound more so than most that are on this thread so they will not find favor from guys looking for a more bass heavy musical type sound signature..Value for the money will be with the Bassos and Tenors over the Doppios but the Doppios as of late has been selling for less than $130..Singolos hovering around $85ish. All the Zero Audio phones are a fantastic bargains..Not too many phones throw out the sounds they do for the price.  

May 1, 2014 at 10:22 PM Post #24,213 of 103,506
looking more portable and gym use (more weight lifting than running).

Maybe the Beyer T51P? I just got them, and I haven't tried these at the gym yet, but they might be pretty good there (great isolation, great comfort, great SQ, not completely dorky looking, durable blah blah). On sale for $179 (down from $339):

http://www.ncixus.com/products/?sku=89795&vpn=716197&manufacture=Beyerdynamic

Pretty good review/comparison here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/672743/comparisons-15-of-the-top-closed-portable-headphones-around

Edit: if it weren't for the lack of isolation, I'd be pretty happy with the $40 AKG K403's at the gym. Very unobtrusive look, and they sound pretty great (if you like mid forward/engaging sound).

May 2, 2014 at 12:22 AM Post #24,214 of 103,506
  Tenors are perfect for casual every day use vs the more technical revealing nature of the Doppios and it's efficiency means there has to be synergistic pairing for the Doppios to truly shine.. The very low .47 Ohm out of the Geek out for example pairs amazing with the Doppios. I noticed on some of my other sources the Doppios can sound harsh simply because it does not match up to the low sensitivity of the phones. Once paired with the right source however the Doppios are definitely Zero Audios flagship earphones for a reason.

I will even say they hang in there against my IM03 on the DX90 even. Which was a big surprise to me.. The Doppios is more of an analytical sound more so than most that are on this thread so they will not find favor from guys looking for a more bass heavy musical type sound signature..Value for the money will be with the Bassos and Tenors over the Doppios but the Doppios as of late has been selling for less than $130..Singolos hovering around $85ish. All the Zero Audio phones are a fantastic bargains..Not too many phones throw out the sounds they do for the price.  

DS you had the Singolo?

May 2, 2014 at 12:40 AM Post #24,215 of 103,506
Nope though from Dr Blue PMs to me he describes them as a mix of the basso and the tenors in sound which I kinda predicted..He owns both the singolos and doppios and seems to enjoy both of them.. I have heard or owned all of them except the singolos and the base model. I have no doubts in my mind the Singolos will be right up there with the tenors bassos and the doppios in sound value.

So I been selling off a few of my phones lately and had some credit.. Been thinking about them new ATH-CKR10 earphones from AT.. Just ordered.. Should be interesting. Will report on the CKR10 thread and of course on here as well. Look forward to them.

Oh and by the way guys. Some of the best tips being the FX850 tips. Newly designed tips from JVC just got released on Amazon Japan.. Costing around $15 a box for 3 pairs I believe in whatever sizes you need.. These JVC tips IMO are the best tips I have ever used even over the UE tips I like to use on just about all my phones.. Worth a look. I just orderd two boxes of them as well.

May 2, 2014 at 12:44 AM Post #24,217 of 103,506
Just did quick A-B Doppio and Tenore...Tenore really fine for inexpensive iem, wide soundstage, good detailing. Doppio, however, is another thing altogether, open space, fine, uncongested detail (this with Geek Out 1k, listening to hi-rez Grateful Dead American Beauty). Then I put in/on the JVC woodies, 850, WOW! don't think I appreciated them until now, gonna listen to them to lull myself to sleep, night all....(the GO1000 and another recent arrival, the Ray Samuels Emmeline HR-2, are completely changing what I think of many of my phones, not to mention giving me lots of listening pleasure. Associated equipment is ALL,man!)

May 2, 2014 at 6:31 AM Post #24,221 of 103,506
Maybe the Beyer T51P? I just got them, and I haven't tried these at the gym yet, but they might be pretty good there (great isolation, great comfort, great SQ, not completely dorky looking, durable blah blah). On sale for $179 (down from $339):

http://www.ncixus.com/products/?sku=89795&vpn=716197&manufacture=Beyerdynamic

Pretty good review/comparison here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/672743/comparisons-15-of-the-top-closed-portable-headphones-around

Edit: if it weren't for the lack of isolation, I'd be pretty happy with the $40 AKG K403's at the gym. Very unobtrusive look, and they sound pretty great (if you like mid forward/engaging sound).
have comsidered these also, and hd26s. Liked the mikros, but fit was too finnicky for gym.

Wish Zero Audio would make a hybrid, might be best iem ever, and prolly less than $175 too. Hers hoping for the Carbo Ten-Bassios

May 2, 2014 at 8:55 AM Post #24,222 of 103,506
have comsidered these also, and hd26s. Liked the mikros, but fit was too finnicky for gym.

Wish Zero Audio would make a hybrid, might be best iem ever, and prolly less than $175 too. Hers hoping for the Carbo Ten-Bassios

Oh no doubt. One thing I noticed is that I don't think this is a big company as they seem to throw out a few phones within a year..They seem to take their time releasing new designs and that is actually a good thing..Considering that there is an influx of hybrids in the market..A small company like Zero Audio will consider their own version. Who knows they might have designed and ready to go.. Even if they used the Tenor micro HD and the dynamic of the bassos in one housing they could have one of the best sounding dual dynamics on the market.

May 2, 2014 at 8:59 AM Post #24,223 of 103,506

Oh no doubt. One thing I noticed is that I don't think this is a big company as they seem to throw out a few phones within a year..They seem to take their time releasing new designs and that is actually a good thing..Considering that there is an influx of hybrids in the market..A small company like Zero Audio will consider their own version. Who knows they might have designed and ready to go.. Even if they used the Tenor micro HD and the dynamic of the bassos in one housing they could have one of the best sounding dual dynamics on the market.

I'd buy the hell out of that. Still gutted that my Bassos broke. Good job I have a pair of full size headphones to use whilst I mull over what to buy!

May 2, 2014 at 11:22 AM Post #24,224 of 103,506
  Nope though from Dr Blue PMs to me he describes them as a mix of the basso and the tenors in sound which I kinda predicted..He owns both the singolos and doppios and seems to enjoy both of them.. I have heard or owned all of them except the singolos and the base model. I have no doubts in my mind the Singolos will be right up there with the tenors bassos and the doppios in sound value.

So I been selling off a few of my phones lately and had some credit.. Been thinking about them new ATH-CKR10 earphones from AT.. Just ordered.. Should be interesting. Will report on the CKR10 thread and of course on here as well. Look forward to them.

Oh and by the way guys. Some of the best tips being the FX850 tips. Newly designed tips from JVC just got released on Amazon Japan.. Costing around $15 a box for 3 pairs I believe in whatever sizes you need.. These JVC tips IMO are the best tips I have ever used even over the UE tips I like to use on just about all my phones.. Worth a look. I just orderd two boxes of them as well.

YES, the ZA Singulos have the smoothes of the Tenores and the textures/soundstage of the Doppios.  They are indeed a great sound value and very
pleasant for all types of music.  Lookin forward to our CKR10 notes DS!     I have the RE700 burning in right now also.  out of the box it was horrific, but
after 24 hours of burn in becoming very "musical" in a consumer way right out of iPod splitter, i had to force myself to take it off my head and let the burn continue..a good sign....price is down to a little over 100$ on beach audio.  may be a sleeper if you like ATH house sound....very lightweight and 32 ohm so
designed for playing right out of phones etc.  

May 2, 2014 at 11:35 AM Post #24,225 of 103,506
Just did quick A-B Doppio and Tenore...Tenore really fine for inexpensive iem, wide soundstage, good detailing. Doppio, however, is another thing altogether, open space, fine, uncongested detail (this with Geek Out 1k, listening to hi-rez Grateful Dead American Beauty). Then I put in/on the JVC woodies, 850, WOW! don't think I appreciated them until now, gonna listen to them to lull myself to sleep, night all....(the GO1000 and another recent arrival, the Ray Samuels Emmeline HR-2, are completely changing what I think of many of my phones, not to mention giving me lots of listening pleasure. Associated equipment is ALL,man!)

Glad you are discovering the synergy of different source chains and different phones!  I finally got my GO750 and burned it in  Its very powerful and
has lots of headroom and liveliness to the output.    I agree with DS that it outperforms its price point at the Kickstarter levels, smooth and musical.
Still i listen mostly to my  Digital Renaissance hybrid NOS dac with an output to the Cambridge Audio Model 12 preamp headphone amp and ON 1
wooden phones. true reference hi fi output chain of sound...  i wish someone would make a NOS nonupsampling dac that doesn't need external power like the Muse 1543 does need....as good as the Geek is its still an oversampling chip with a "digital" sound to it, while the NOS units have a much more
analogue sound....trying to get my buddy Ben at MOJO Audio to build me a portable NOS dac, but his units start at 2500$ in full size form so its unlikely..
Maybe Ray Samuels could do it....NOS (non oversampling)  dacs have a less fatiguing and more brain friendly sound through them....the D42 IBasso
Mambo comes close....cause its limited to 48 hz output ceiling...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back