The discovery thread!
Apr 16, 2014 at 4:08 PM Post #23,896 of 101,998

If you thought the M500 was heavy at only 208g, the PHVI at 480g is gonna feel like a brick on your head... just a warning.

The X1's are 430g, so not too much less, and they are very comfortable. I think the issue eric had with the m500's is that they don't clamp on the ears very much at all, so the band tends to sit on the top of your head, and I think that is what caused discomfort for him.

Apr 16, 2014 at 6:00 PM Post #23,897 of 101,998

If you thought the M500 was heavy at only 208g, the PHVI at 480g is gonna feel like a brick on your head... just a warning.

I disagree, because it all depends on how the weight is distributed. AS waynes world just stated, the X1 isn't much lighter than the PHVI, but it never fatigues me the way the M500 did.

Apr 16, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #23,898 of 101,998

I disagree, because it all depends on how the weight is distributed. AS waynes world just stated, the X1 isn't much lighter than the PHVI, but it never fatigues me the way the M500 did.

I agree with the weight distribution being a big factor. Unfortunately, the PHVI doesn't distribute weight well on top of the head because it doesn't have a suspension headband like the X1 does. That, along with the heavy weight, puts a lot of pressure on the top of the head. Plus, no matter how well the headband distributes the weight, all of that weight is still supported by the neck, and I'll admit that mine did get sore after a while with the PHVI.

Not trying to discourage people from trying it for themselves though, I think the PHVI is extremely unique and that a lot of people would like it. Comfort is just a major thing for me.

Apr 16, 2014 at 6:17 PM Post #23,899 of 101,998

I agree with the weight distribution being a big factor. Unfortunately, the PHVI doesn't distribute weight well on top of the head because it doesn't have a suspension headband like the X1 does. That, along with the heavy weight, puts a lot of pressure on the top of the head. Plus, no matter how well the headband distributes the weight, all of that weight is still supported by the neck, and I'll admit that mine did get sore after a while with the PHVI.

If I were to get them, I would make sure that I wore them over a ball cap so that all of the weight bears right down on the button in the middle of the cap. That would feel good, wouldn't it? 
wink.gif

Seriously though, I've been reading up a bit on the PHVI. Wow, looks very nice, and seems like it sounds rather awesome. I predict hype!

Apr 16, 2014 at 6:31 PM Post #23,900 of 101,998
The M500 suffered from having no weight dispersion from the cups. It made the ears comfortable at the expense of the head. This also caused instability because the nothing held the cups in position causing them to move around and slip off.

Apr 16, 2014 at 7:40 PM Post #23,901 of 101,998
The AX5 is a NA release and is already out.
http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-AUD-ATHAX5-LIST?src=Y0802G00SRCHCAPN&gclid=CIzYrKXm5b0CFaLm7AodclcA-A

AT told me they are totally different and the specs seem to bear that out. That they are released in Japan obviously confirms they are not the same. Not a NA conversion thing but different phones.
I see. I was on cdjapan and seen preorder for ax5, didnt even think to look here first. Have u seen any reviews? Ill do some digging, but may be nice gym phones.

Apr 16, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #23,902 of 101,998
I'm not worried about the weight at all. I'll adjust.

Apr 16, 2014 at 8:29 PM Post #23,903 of 101,998
I'm not worried about the weight at all. I'll adjust.

I actually thought the Pandora VI was pretty comfy. The real problem with that phone is that FAD made the genius decision to not add any sort of ratcheting mechanism to the cup sliders, so gravity eventually causes the phones to sag. Luckily, you can address this by rolling some rubber bands underneath the sliders to keep them from budging. Overall, you're in for a treat, they're brilliant sounding phones and super easy to drive

Apr 16, 2014 at 8:29 PM Post #23,904 of 101,998
I see. I was on cdjapan and seen preorder for ax5, didnt even think to look here first. Have u seen any reviews? Ill do some digging, but may be nice gym phones.

Could have gotten some light shone on these around here. AT P.R. took my address and were suppose to send me some stuff including these, most likely, but they never did. I told them AT U.S. needs a boost. Around here everyone looks first to grab AT Japan first. This is a prime example. A decent community and they don't realize these were an American first model that can be gotten here for a better price, faster shipping, and have the two year warranty. The rep is a nice guy and lives not far from me but I guess he didn't convince the AT people in Stow that they need more than a catchy(debatable) name like SonicFuel to get people into the new phones.

Apr 16, 2014 at 9:50 PM Post #23,905 of 101,998

You guys have a serious headphone to consider once these are released in the US. I have no idea why Philips has held this masterpiece of a headphone from selling in the US but believe me this is one crazy sounding headphones. I just got these from a sale here and headfi and these are just like I remembered them to be at RMAF. Astounding resolution and refinement from these cans. The stage alone is worthy of purchase. Got them on the burner with my Silver OFC cables. Will have some impressions once these get a proper burn.

Apr 16, 2014 at 10:01 PM Post #23,906 of 101,998
DS how do you like the L2 compared to the SRH-1540?

Apr 16, 2014 at 10:13 PM Post #23,907 of 101,998
I think these are very capable next to the SRH1540 and that is the crazy thing. These are $300 phones and the SRH1540s being $500.. The value in sound is there. The only issue guys are having and the reason I got this was that the previous owner didn't like the openness of the cans. These are open and not semi open. Isolation is poor but for me I can put up with sound leakage for this level of refinement and sound.. These are open portable cans fully over ears but the sound is a smooth rich highly refined, transparent and best of all wide and deep.

You would never suspect how wide the sound is from these cans.. I remember at RMAF when I heard it for the first time. I kept on taking off the headphones to look at it because the sound seems to be coming outside of the cups. No kidding..I spoke to the engineer that made the drivers for the L2 and he was all smiles when talking about the L2. It uses a brand new driver that Philips developed just for the L2. I wouldn't be surprised if they made a newer upgrade to the X1 using the same driver.  Whatever they are using it gives out a sound that is not normal..Spacious richness abound.

These are the headphones to look out for once launched here in the States and Canada.

Apr 16, 2014 at 10:39 PM Post #23,908 of 101,998
I almost bought the pair you probably ended up getting but was a bit cash short when the sale came up. But I also read about how open they are and was worried about that anyway. I have a pair of modded Q701 I love that are semi open for use at home and they have just enough isolation to cut out most of the fan noise from my desktop PC. I figure I will primarily be using whatever I buy next at home and maybe when out walking the dog but not at work or in transit. So I jumped on the chance to get a pair of 1540 that were for sale in the FS forums because they would offer a bit more isolation but not super isolation which seemed to fit the bill better for me. I hope I can hear the L2 someday but think I will enjoy the 1540's for now :)

I also like the idea of how Tyll described the 1540, I am hopeful I will enjoy them at lower volumes and find their slight u shaped signature detailed AND fun.

Apr 16, 2014 at 11:06 PM Post #23,910 of 101,998
Not that I am going to nibble on these, but has anyone tried Rosewill Black RS-OW813-BK Sonas Headphones with Octa-Drive Surround Sound? Found here http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826193083 I am shedding all my mid-fi gear except the ones I like the most so don't feel like spending the money for these even on sale but I am still curious about them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back