The discovery thread!
Apr 16, 2014 at 8:08 AM Post #23,882 of 100,483

Pioneer. They have new stuff out including an interesting armature plus "bass exciter". Bunch of new stuff with MMCX including one hybrid the DJE2000. Those are the CX8 dynamic(ceramic powder coated plus bass exciter behind it) in copper.

Metalfinish_wide.jpg

Metallic madness

These sleek, upscale in-ear headphones look as good as they sound. Their high quality design and silver metal casing with red detailing are sure to reflect your sense of style and taste.

Judging from the looks of the earphones, those Pioneers look way too similar to Sony's MDR-X10 (aka the Simon Cowell headphones). Take a look:

Oh yeah, and Pioneer's statement on the earphones "reflecting your sense of style and taste"? I don't know about y'all, but these headphones reflect pretty bad taste right here. But then again, the Pioneers are small, so I don't think that would be much of an issue. It's not like the godawful-looking X10 right here which is more than likely to turn some heads.

Apr 16, 2014 at 8:57 AM Post #23,883 of 100,483
Anyone gonna get the ath ax5 in 2weeks when it releases. Im just a little confused as these are appx $90, but the axo5 is 2x as much. Are these different drivers? It thought ax5 is just over ear version, as both are sonic fuel line. Usually over ear is more expensive, as in momentums. Or are these 2 completely seperate models with similar lettering/numbering. I really like the ax5 black and blue coloring, and generally enjoy A.T. sound.

Apr 16, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #23,884 of 100,483
the carbon Singulos are really lovely sounding and easy to drive.  great soundstage and musicality, a great value.
not as much texture or detail as the Doppios but great right out of a smartphone or dap....a worthy investment
for multiuse....remember they need lots of breaking though, being carbon nano based...

Apr 16, 2014 at 10:35 AM Post #23,885 of 100,483
the carbon Singulos are really lovely sounding and easy to drive.  great soundstage and musicality, a great value.
not as much texture or detail as the Doppios but great right out of a smartphone or dap....a worthy investment
for multiuse....remember they need lots of breaking though, being carbon nano based...

Huh what? Singolo is single BA and Doppio is dual BA.

Apr 16, 2014 at 10:53 AM Post #23,886 of 100,483
Don't know if this was mentioned, but Sony XBA-H3 dropped $100 on Amazon to $249.

Apr 16, 2014 at 11:17 AM Post #23,888 of 100,483
Been on a shopping spree/buying binge since around Black Friday, I'd figure, gotten a bunch of stuff...including Doppios, SM64, Heaven V, JVC Woodies, AT-IM70, Sony H3, and others too lazy/tired to dig up right now (late night, Passover Seder, great eats, company until night...dead the next day), have to say, of all the iem's I've tried, think I like the Westone W40 best (which of course makes sense, as it is the only one on loan, don't own it...time to schedule an extra session with the shrink :k701smile:
They are incredibly open,quiet-they get rid of noise you didn't know you had until you hear the sound without it.
Haven't compared to many of the upper echelon iems, though, the ASG-2 and the like may be competitive, can't say (we're talking $599 list, seen it generally at $499). Still, that's the price of getting, say, JVC Woodies and IM70, if you go in for multiple headphones. Haven't tried my other gear through the Geek Out yet, only W4, W40, and Senn 650's (I've always been on a fence on the Senns, heard the Senn with iPod Touch, X3 with ALO Continental, sometimes love it, sometimes hear the Senn "haze" which others have reported on the Senns, takes out some excitement, makes them overly polite (on the 650 thread lots of ink is dedicated to amps that bring out the 650's potential, lose the "haze"; Schitt stuff is supposed to be great for them). I have to say, the Senns through the Geek are great; present, dynamic, bass, detail, they drive it like it wants to be driven. Still working on the W4 vs W40 review (finally got a 1st draft down, that's usually the hardest part for me, knocking it into shape afterwards is much easier), Anyway, GEEK seems to make whatever I have played so far shine, but differences are quite apparent, it's not masking bad stuff. The Geek Out Signature is calling my name, pretty loudly, (and I never even was looking for a usb dad/amp, I'm a portable kinda guy...)

Apr 16, 2014 at 11:22 AM Post #23,889 of 100,483
My daughter, home from college for the holiday, is listening to her favorite music from PC, Geek Out, Senn 650's, is raving about hearing all the things in music she knows well that she never heard before, unsolicited testomonial (we, sort of unsolicited, if you don't count dad hounding her past 2 days, "you gotta hear my new toy!!!" She is a non audiophile, though, I'm the lone audionut in the house:)

Apr 16, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #23,890 of 100,483
You can get the H1 for $93 on Amazon now too.

Apr 16, 2014 at 12:55 PM Post #23,891 of 100,483
So fellas, I do have FAD Pandora Hope VI (hybrid 50mm/BA) headphone on its way to me. This will be interesting to see how a BA helps a full size headphone in sound. I've been reading very refined, spacious and deep sound. I'm hooked on FAD's sound from what I've heard thus far.

Apr 16, 2014 at 1:05 PM Post #23,892 of 100,483
  So fellas, I do have FAD Pandora Hope VI (hybrid 50mm/BA) headphone on its way to me. This will be interesting to see how a BA helps a full size headphone in sound. I've been reading very refined, spacious and deep sound. I'm hooked on FAD's sound from what I've heard thus far.

They're absolutely amazing and have a very large soundstage for a closed headphone. I loved them but the weight and issues with the earpads made it too uncomfortable for long-term listening so I had to sell them =/

Apr 16, 2014 at 3:28 PM Post #23,893 of 100,483

They're absolutely amazing and have a very large soundstage for a closed headphone. I loved them but the weight and issues with the earpads made it too uncomfortable for long-term listening so I had to sell them =/

Yeah, I think I can deal with the weight. The M500s are heavy to me. I'll find ways to shift it on my head as long as the sound is worth it. 

Apr 16, 2014 at 3:40 PM Post #23,894 of 100,483

Yeah, I think I can deal with the weight. The M500s are heavy to me. I'll find ways to shift it on my head as long as the sound is worth it. 

If you thought the M500 was heavy at only 208g, the PHVI at 480g is gonna feel like a brick on your head... just a warning.

Apr 16, 2014 at 4:02 PM Post #23,895 of 100,483
Anyone gonna get the ath ax5 in 2weeks when it releases. Im just a little confused as these are appx $90, but the axo5 is 2x as much. Are these different drivers? It thought ax5 is just over ear version, as both are sonic fuel line. Usually over ear is more expensive, as in momentums. Or are these 2 completely seperate models with similar lettering/numbering. I really like the ax5 black and blue coloring, and generally enjoy A.T. sound.

The AX5 is a NA release and is already out.
http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-AUD-ATHAX5-LIST?src=Y0802G00SRCHCAPN&gclid=CIzYrKXm5b0CFaLm7AodclcA-A

AT told me they are totally different and the specs seem to bear that out. That they are released in Japan obviously confirms they are not the same. Not a NA conversion thing but different phones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back