The discovery thread!
Mar 7, 2014 at 10:01 PM Post #22,921 of 100,098
Hmmm, didn't take them out of the bag and look that closely, some are wider, some narrower (though not really small). Vwinter did seem to be saying that only the wider bore would work without wreaking havoc on the higher treble, so I compared those to the UE tips. I didn't measure, but they look to be about the same width as the wide Heaven tips. Now I'm curious to try the narrow tips, see what they do to the sound...

Mar 7, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #22,922 of 100,098
Hmmm, didn't take them out of the bag and look that closely, some are wider, some narrower (though not really small). Vwinter did seem to be saying that only the wider bore would work without wreaking havoc on the higher treble, so I compared those to the UE tips. I didn't measure, but they look to be about the same width as the wide Heaven tips. Now I'm curious to try the narrow tips, see what they do to the sound...

Haha, I like this spirit of adventure and curiosity.

Mar 7, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #22,923 of 100,098
@ ericp - I've just placed an order for the IM70 from AccessoryJack. Thanks for your PM's and impressions over the past few weeks which ultimately led me to purchasing them
smile.gif

Mar 8, 2014 at 1:11 AM Post #22,924 of 100,098

Ghost. You can't leave these threads for 3 years and come back thinking everything is OK.! Unforgivable.

Gosh !   ....has it been that long already !!!
eek.gif

Time certainly flies on this thread !   ....I didn't log in for 3 days and I'mma swamped with 600 posts when I do !

D**n, between Whatsapp and Head'fi, there isn't any time left for any other things in me life !
confused_face(1).gif

...anyway Ds, how is the studying getting on, have you graduated ?

Mar 8, 2014 at 1:19 AM Post #22,925 of 100,098
Nope got one more year more or less. My externship is coming up that should be interesting. Poor student work for free for no pay. I pay for the semester to work for free.. Guess it is the experience that counts.

Mar 8, 2014 at 5:10 AM Post #22,926 of 100,098

Haha, I like this spirit of adventure and curiosity.

Interesting, pulled out the smaller bore tips, tried them, they do sound different. Not all the change was bad...the soundstage was wider, bass more impactful. The treble does become problematic, though. Harsh, not pleasant.was listening to the new Beck (1st impression: really like the album), has wide dynamic range (hi-Rez HDTracks download),I found when the music got louder, I had to turn the volume down, it got uncomfortable to listen to, harsh. Switched back to the UE tips, ahhhhh....
OK, I'm a believer:cool:

Mar 8, 2014 at 8:26 AM Post #22,927 of 100,098
Interesting, pulled out the smaller bore tips, tried them, they do sound different. Not all the change was bad...the soundstage was wider, bass more impactful. The treble does become problematic, though. Harsh, not pleasant.was listening to the new Beck (1st impression: really like the album), has wide dynamic range (hi-Rez HDTracks download),I found when the music got louder, I had to turn the volume down, it got uncomfortable to listen to, harsh. Switched back to the UE tips, ahhhhh....

You got Morning Phase from HDTracks? You should be more careful when purchasing stuff from them coz lately the studios seem to be sending them only low quality highly compressed stuff http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/57491 and the DR is ridiculously compressed - definitely far far away from audiophile quality and not worth the extra money and IMO shouldn't be used for auditioning and evaluation of iems and headphones.

Mar 8, 2014 at 8:52 AM Post #22,928 of 100,098
@ ericp - I've just placed an order for the IM70 from AccessoryJack. Thanks for your PM's and impressions over the past few weeks which ultimately led me to purchasing them :smile:

Cool! I think you will enjoy it as I have. Happy listening.

Mar 8, 2014 at 10:09 AM Post #22,929 of 100,098

You got Morning Phase from HDTracks? You should be more careful when purchasing stuff from them coz lately the studios seem to be sending them only low quality highly compressed stuff http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/57491 and the DR is ridiculously compressed - definitely far far away from audiophile quality and not worth the extra money and IMO shouldn't be used for auditioning and evaluation of iems and headphones.

You could be right...it does have good dynamic range imo, but I often don't get blown away by sonic improvement listening to HD downloads (I generally wonder if they would sound better on the big rig at home with a good Hi REz DA converter, which I lack). Still, even if it's not Hi-Rez, if it's as good as CD, that's the standard most people use these days, don't see many people walking around with portable LP players, so it shouldn't be WORSE automatically than most of the reference discs people use on CD. I was comparing the sound, casually, of small bore tips and large bore tips, happened to be listening to the Beck, which is a nice sounding disc imo, even only at Red Book quality, and could hear clear differences. Don't think the HDTracks scam affects this in any way, though the warning is well taken, I'll hold back from buying stuff from them from now on if they are using CD masters. Thanks.

Mar 8, 2014 at 10:44 AM Post #22,930 of 100,098
You could be right...it does have good dynamic range imo, but I often don't get blown away by sonic improvement listening to HD downloads (I generally wonder if they would sound better on the big rig at home with a good Hi REz DA converter, which I lack). Still, even if it's not Hi-Rez, if it's as good as CD, that's the standard most people use these days, don't see many people walking around with portable LP players, so it shouldn't be WORSE automatically than most of the reference discs people use on CD. I was comparing the sound, casually, of small bore tips and large bore tips, happened to be listening to the Beck, which is a nice sounding disc imo, even only at Red Book quality, and could hear clear differences. Don't think the HDTracks scam affects this in any way, though the warning is well taken, I'll hold back from buying stuff from them from now on if they are using CD masters. Thanks.

Honestly, I wasn't trying to bash on HDTracks - they are just selling what the studios send them but often it's not really of audiophile quality. 
It's not about whether hi-res is better than CD or whether they've used the CD master as much as that the CD master used is of sub-par quality and is highly compressed. CDs aren't automatically worse and they are fine for all audiophiles but in this case with Beck's album the issue is that the the CD has been mastered poorly and they should have used the vinyl master, which has more decent dynamic range and apparently there is a "Vinyl experience" mp3 download of the album available that is using the better master that you get if you purchase the vinyl. So again - not a matter of hi-res or CD quality coz there is a lossy mp3 version out there that sounds better than both.
Anyway, this thread isn't exactly the place to discuss this - I just think people should learn to check online forums and sites before paying premium for something that isn't worth it but that doesn't mean HDtracks doesn't have some very high quality albums for sale and that people shouldn't be buying from them. 

Mar 8, 2014 at 11:27 AM Post #22,931 of 100,098
Intreresting, actually I appreciate you mentioning all this stuff here, it's all "Discovery" to me! You ar right, should be investigating this stuff more, but, you know, between a fairly busy work day, lots of music and equipment to hear, and keeping up with just 3 or 4 threads on Head-Fi, not to mention the family, there just ain't no time! The information about the MP3's included in an LP purchase is particularly interesting. I naturally assumed, as is Audiophile Doctrine, LP>CD>MP3 (of course, LP's are not all the same, mastering and other variables make for varying sound quality, so always possible to have a well pressed CD sound better than a poor, late pressing LP). In fact, I assumed I was better off using a CD to rip and listen to on my X3 than using the LP download, and I have bought a number of LP's that come with the download. You make the case for the LP as preferred purchase now, from both the vinyl listening perspective and also even the digital file on DAP would be better. WHOD'A THUNK IT!!! I'll go back to some of the LP's and get the downloads now. Curioser and curiouser...

On another front, Delivery from Japan just arrived...JVC HA-FX850!!! Still in the box, have to go to daughter's fencing match in a few, pull them out later and give a listen.

Mar 8, 2014 at 11:34 AM Post #22,932 of 100,098
(ordered from BuyJapan.com, same as than Kakakakukka whatever site, haven't compared to Tenso in terms of cost, but really easy to order, and really quick delivery, think I ordered it early in the week, didn't expect them for a while).

Mar 8, 2014 at 11:40 AM Post #22,933 of 100,098
(ordered from BuyJapan.com, same as than Kakakakukka whatever site, haven't compared to Tenso in terms of cost, but really easy to order, and really quick delivery, think I ordered it early in the week, didn't expect them for a while).

Don't you mean BuySmartJapan.com ?
https://www.buysmartjapan.com

Mar 8, 2014 at 12:12 PM Post #22,934 of 100,098
Intreresting, actually I appreciate you mentioning all this stuff here, it's all "Discovery" to me! You ar right, should be investigating this stuff more, but, you know, between a fairly busy work day, lots of music and equipment to hear, and keeping up with just 3 or 4 threads on Head-Fi, not to mention the family, there just ain't no time! The information about the MP3's included in an LP purchase is particularly interesting. I naturally assumed, as is Audiophile Doctrine, LP>CD>MP3 (of course, LP's are not all the same, mastering and other variables make for varying sound quality, so always possible to have a well pressed CD sound better than a poor, late pressing LP). In fact, I assumed I was better off using a CD to rip and listen to on my X3 than using the LP download, and I have bought a number of LP's that come with the download. You make the case for the LP as preferred purchase now, from both the vinyl listening perspective and also even the digital file on DAP would be better. WHOD'A THUNK IT!!! I'll go back to some of the LP's and get the downloads now. Curioser and curiouser...

On another front, Delivery from Japan just arrived...JVC HA-FX850!!! Still in the box, have to go to daughter's fencing match in a few, pull them out later and give a listen.

Congrats on the woodies..Let us know on the thread how they are. Open box sound is interesting.

Mar 8, 2014 at 12:21 PM Post #22,935 of 100,098

Then I'm glad that I could be of assistance. There can be earlier or later CD masters or remasters of some albums that can be better than vinyl and vice versa. And yeah, vinyl is not actually always better than digital releases but often is because of better dynamic range. Also, LP's coming with digital download codes and the digital download being better than the CD isn't a universal thing. In the case of Beck's album it seems the LP was the way to go and that's why even the teaser of the whole album was of the cutting of the vinyl. Also apparently the "Vinyl experience" download is not just using the better master - it's a vinyl rip itself, so people can get that "vinyl experience" when listening to it in digital format.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back