The discovery thread!
Jan 28, 2014 at 8:52 PM Post #20,701 of 100,511
And I thought that I was decided on getting the Tenores, but now you make me want the bx510 more. By the time I decide to order iems I will have thought about getting the doppios, then the heaven V everyone likes and what do you know, in one year I may end up with $1,000 ciems as my first taste of good sound quality! How do the veterans make quick decisions?

Jan 28, 2014 at 8:58 PM Post #20,702 of 100,511
And I thought that I was decided on getting the Tenores, but now you make me want the bx510 more. By the time I decide to order iems I will have thought about getting the doppios, then the heaven V everyone likes and what do you know, in one year I may end up with $1,000 ciems as my first taste of good sound quality! How do the veterans make quick decisions?

He he he, welcome to head-fi!

If it makes you feel any better, it doesn't stop after one year. Especially when you have drblue professing BX510 hype like that!
beerchug.gif

Jan 28, 2014 at 9:14 PM Post #20,703 of 100,511
I've already got baseball and golf to spend my money on and I am only in high school with no job, this hobby was bad for me to investigate and this site was the last nail in the coffin... Well I found this thread and you guys, I like to think of this thread as the freedom fighters of head-fi who fight for equality between bang or the buck and summet-fi :)

Jan 28, 2014 at 9:27 PM Post #20,704 of 100,511
  Very good impressions on the AX35 through the first hour. I normally can't stand single BA sets, and the R-50 was way too harsh and shrill for me. This is my favorite in-ear with a BA unit to date.

I liked the clarity of the A161P/Somic MH407, but single BA's just don't have enough bass for me. The AX35 slaughters the Hisoundaudio BA-100 too.

As far as being labeled neutral, it isn't. The main review of the AX35 here on Head-Fi mentions "huge" bass. I disagree with that. It is nicely lifted, but far from being powerful. The Piston has more impact. The lift is just the right amount that I don't need to add any extra boost of my own, which is perfect.

The signature is a slight V. I would have preferred actual neutral, but the slight V works. Vocals are clear and present. Imaging is spot on. They scale with better recordings, and point out most of the flaws in crappier ones. Some rock music can get slightly shrill on distorted guitar parts, but I expect this to improve a little with burn in or the right tips.

They seem to work best using triple flanges and shoving them deep into your skull, a la Monster Gratitude style. The stock silicone is meh, and the stock foam is ok, but it dampens brightness, so treble lovers might not be into them. Going to try hybrids and bi flanges later.

A comparison between these and the Inearpeace or the Dunu-1k would be nice. If they are on par withe the IEP, at $68, they make the IEP irrelevant at twice the cost. Initial assessment... they are worth up to twice the cost... so far.

Great impressions so far, makes me want to buy them, but My heart is already set for another :wink:.
  after a few hours of playing, the BX510 Carbon Singulos are becoming smoother, better bass.  most amazing though is their SPEED on highly rhythmic music\
they drive the music and have peaks and crescendos that feel like a live concert. the soundstage is amazing and the music flows through the front of your head
like a wave...the reverb echoes through your whole head...voices come at you from the top and center of a stage....i might not get much sleep tonight.....
the merging of Tenore and Basso sound signatures in these is uncanny....

The same reaction can be said to your impressions drblue, only a minor difference can be said here.

YOU MADE THIS EXTREMELY HYPED! I want it! But I have enough resistance to say no!

Great impressions, I'm enjoying how they sound and regret not buying them or the doppios, but the im02s make me happy for now. Besides, the re700s keep up the sound sig for me to be entertained. :) 

Thanks for the report audio soldier, at ease!
emoticon_soldier_by_mirz123-d32lzus.png

Most headfiers should just "eat" up dr.blue's impressions of the singolos. After all, they're not that much money for a great sound!

Jan 28, 2014 at 9:50 PM Post #20,707 of 100,511
Has anyone seen an MMCX cable with 3-button iphone remote?

You know, for the FX850 that I will resist buying...

Jan 28, 2014 at 9:51 PM Post #20,708 of 100,511
Has anyone seen an MMCX cable with 3-button iphone remote?

You know, for the FX850 that I will resist buying...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/390741577167?lpid=82 ???

Of course man, just giving you a hypothetical cable for a hypothetical purchase. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

http://www.onkyousa.com/Products/model.php?m=IE-CTI300+(S)&class=Headphones&source=prodClass 

the onkyos also have a recplacable cable, maybe you can contact them....hypothetically of course. You're not going to buy the jvcs without someone else to take the fall, right? 
wink_face.gif

Jan 28, 2014 at 10:29 PM Post #20,709 of 100,511
I should be getting a Westone 40 from the magazine I write for off and on (been off for a while, just submitted this week), that is The Audiophile Voice, to write up for the magazine in a comparison with the W4 (only a loaner,alas, but should be fun to hear), I'll post some here when they come as well.
Waiting, waiting, lots of stuff coming, go listen to the Om's a bit, see if the Pistons are fully cooked, new CD I;m looking forward to hearing as well, Matt Wilson Quartet + John Medeski, both very cool artists
More later...

Jan 28, 2014 at 11:03 PM Post #20,710 of 100,511
Eric, how does the thinksound on1 reproduce this song?

Inquiring minds would like to know. 
atsmile.gif

That horn, those guitar crunches, cymbals, that voice, tell us the details! (if you may).

I should be getting a Westone 40 from the magazine I write for off and on (been off for a while, just submitted this week), that is The Audiophile Voice, to write up for the magazine in a comparison with the W4 (only a loaner,alas, but should be fun to hear), I'll post some here when they come as well.
Waiting, waiting, lots of stuff coming, go listen to the Om's a bit, see if the Pistons are fully cooked, new CD I;m looking forward to hearing as well, Matt Wilson Quartet + John Medeski, both very cool artists
More later...
Can't wait to hear improvements from the 40s, hopefully it's worth a buy!

Going to listen to those artists, hope they are awesome (not that I doubt it).

Jan 29, 2014 at 6:38 AM Post #20,712 of 100,511
Is it me, or are the Pistons quite V-shaped?
Coming from the vsd1s, I miss the fullness and detail of guitars chords. Luckily a bit of EQ helps.
For example, the part just behind the chorus on The Strokes' Machu Picchu, sounds quite thin.

I find the bass on the Pistons exceptional, even after just 24hrs of burn in.

Jan 29, 2014 at 8:03 AM Post #20,713 of 100,511
  Is it me, or are the Pistons quite V-shaped?
Coming from the vsd1s, I miss the fullness and detail of guitars chords. Luckily a bit of EQ helps.
For example, the part just behind the chorus on The Strokes' Machu Picchu, sounds quite thin.

I find the bass on the Pistons exceptional, even after just 24hrs of burn in.

Burn them in for at least 50 hours and they'll fill in quite nicely.

Jan 29, 2014 at 8:36 AM Post #20,714 of 100,511
Curse you Verizon, all Internet dead in my house, called them for mild WIFI problems, their fix crashed everything, including some electrical outage in my house. Stuck using an old cell phone that is ready to crash as well.

Jan 29, 2014 at 8:55 AM Post #20,715 of 100,511
Great tracks, Trombone Shorty track rocks! Strokes cool too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back