The discovery thread!
Jun 6, 2012 at 12:04 PM Post #2,041 of 102,913
Quote:
I feel like you're describing the fx40s.
How are you driving them? What sort of music do you listen to?

I found the fx40s extremely sibilant, sharp and crisp in the highs, while the fx101s are much more tame in that area. I can't keep the 40s in my ears for more than 1-2 songs, while the fx101s are among the least fatiguing. 

I've found that the 101s have the same amount of extension as the 3850, but are significantly less bloated and overbearing. Not that the 3580s are bad to begin with, but that the 101s come across more musically realistic.

That's very interesting. To me the FX40s definitely have a lot of sparkle in the highs, but the balanced sound and clarity make up for it. The highs on the FX40 cleared up for me with only about 20 hours of burn and are easy to listen to. I also think the FX40s have nearly as much sub-bass as the SHE3580s, but without any mid-bass hump and a lot less V shape.

I've tried driving the FX101s with just the output on my phone, the soundmagic A10, and the ZO2.3. All of them portray the same noisy "crashy" sibilance in the highs. One thing I did notice is that the hiss from the ZO is VERY pronounced with the FX101s and added to the sibilance.

All of my files are 320 or 192 MP3/WMA. Listening to everything from Minnesota, Pretty Lights, and Figure to Crosby Stills & Nash and The Nylons. Seal definitely isn't an issue. I'm getting a surprising amount of driver flex on insertion. The driver flex is along the same lines as the MMDTs.

Tough to say at this point if it's a bad pair or not. I'd err on the side of them being okay and it just not being an IEM that works for me. I'll just keep burning the bejeezus out of them.

I'd be interested to hear the Fx3x. I would think that the carbon nanotube driver in a bassy profile is something right up my alley.

Jun 6, 2012 at 12:09 PM Post #2,042 of 102,913
Quote:
Just wondering are there any bi-flanges/tri-flanges tips that fit the fx40 without changing the sound significantly to improve the isolation as I am going to use them on a plane soon?

Both the BI and Tri flanges from my MEE M6s fit without issue. The BIs were a little tougher to get on, but both should slide on with a little futzing.

The sound with the Tris wasn't really impacted at all, I couldn't get a decent seal with the bis.

Jun 6, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #2,043 of 102,913
How does a person know that driver flex occurred? Is it something you feel or hear upon inserting?

Jun 6, 2012 at 12:30 PM Post #2,044 of 102,913
Driver flex happens usually on insertion. You can hear a pop sound from the side that has the flex. I have this issue with my MG7.. While this doesn't effect the sound it does get annoying. When you get a good sound seal and you smile or move your face if the flex is really bad you can hear it every time..I noticed this happens usually with closed in designs. One of the reasons why manufacturers put vents in the back sides or in front of the housing is so there is no driver flex.

Jun 6, 2012 at 12:45 PM Post #2,045 of 102,913
Quote:
That's very interesting. To me the FX40s definitely have a lot of sparkle in the highs, but the balanced sound and clarity make up for it. The highs on the FX40 cleared up for me with only about 20 hours of burn and are easy to listen to. I also think the FX40s have nearly as much sub-bass as the SHE3580s, but without any mid-bass hump and a lot less V shape.

I've tried driving the FX101s with just the output on my phone, the soundmagic A10, and the ZO2.3. All of them portray the same noisy "crashy" sibilance in the highs. One thing I did notice is that the hiss from the ZO is VERY pronounced with the FX101s and added to the sibilance.

All of my files are 320 or 192 MP3/WMA. Listening to everything from Minnesota, Pretty Lights, and Figure to Crosby Stills & Nash and The Nylons. Seal definitely isn't an issue. I'm getting a surprising amount of driver flex on insertion. The driver flex is along the same lines as the MMDTs.

Tough to say at this point if it's a bad pair or not. I'd err on the side of them being okay and it just not being an IEM that works for me. I'll just keep burning the bejeezus out of them.

I'd be interested to hear the Fx3x. I would think that the carbon nanotube driver in a bassy profile is something right up my alley.

Interesting... How'd you burn them in?

Coming from the she3580 i can sort of see how you're finding them sibilant, although I think that the 3580 is a tad veiled in the top-end.
They are withing what i can only assume at this point is the JVC sound, so the highs are crisp. When compared with the fx40s the 101s sibilance is non existent. I'm wondering whether you've got a bad pair, because i've gotten the exact opposite results.
After 100 hours of pink noise, at moderate volume, and 5 hours of bass drive, the FX40s have definitely smoothed off some, but are still painful to listen to.

Songs like John Mayer's "No Such Thing" have me clawing at my ears, while bassy trance/progressive house doesn't bother me. Whenever the vocals have a lyric ending with "s", it comes across as a pin to the eardrum.
The fx101, differs significantly,  especially unamped in that you can hear the letter "s", but not feel it. Amped, you can hear the tinge but not feel it.

I'm beginning to think that the john mayer song was poorly mastered, as i've started using it as my treble tolerance test. Keep in mind my ears are really sensitive.

Where sub bass is concerned, I have to agree that the FX40s get similarly low as the FX101s. The difference i've noted is the the simple character difference between the two. With bassy music:
The fx40 gets low and extended, yet maintains clarity because of it's incredible speed. synthetic bass is very quick, punchy; almost a jab.
The FX101 on the other hand gets a tad lower (which isn't as important), but also has wonderfully realistic decay, and really fills the music out. It's not slow so much as it is smooth. They sound fantastic when listening to jazz or any music with a floor bass, as they really convey the natural warmth and resonance that those instruments have in person. They also pack one heckova wallop with D&B.

I've come to the conclusion that the fx101s are "good" from my iphone, but an entirely different class through my c421. they really open up, in the direction of the FX40s clarity-wise.

This is getting addicting. Oh well, better than the more nefarious alternatives that a college kid could get into.
I'm trying to decide what my next fix will be... fxc51 maybe?

Are there any new gems coming out?

Jun 6, 2012 at 12:59 PM Post #2,046 of 102,913
I would hold off on that FXC51. While I like them a lot I can't say they are better than the FX40. Similar sound signature by the way. Using older Carbon Micro HD tech. I would wait a bit until the newer FXD80s come around. Which will be very soon.

While I love the top end sparkle and precision of them the mids are somewhat lean and the bass just not as good as the FX40s. You would essentially be downgrading your sound from the FX40.  The overall sound is a bit thin too on the FXC51. So I expect nice improvements on the FXD80.

Jun 6, 2012 at 1:26 PM Post #2,047 of 102,913
Good to know,

I've still got my fx40s thundering away on bassdrive. I hope at least, i can't remember if i clicked play this morning. I turned them off overnight, as i can't possibly sleep with that ruckus, even after i wrapped it in a towel.

I might have to try one of the cheaper v-sonics, or perhaps a Meelec. Some of the budget-phones from outside this thread. I'm beginning to doubt my prior list of "to-try" phones, after these last two phones i'm having a hard time imagining anything better.
No reviews comparing any of the vsonics to these new JVCs yet.

I've taken a serious liking to dynamic drivers, that's for sure. But there's still something for the BA sound. Someone needs to start making budget hybrids.

Jun 6, 2012 at 1:32 PM Post #2,048 of 102,913
Getting close to 60 hours of burn on the 101's and though it has tamed down some, I still find the highs to be piercing.  This makes me afraid of the FX40's which are yet to arrive.  I like everything else about the sound but the treble spike.  I wonder if the FX3X has this problem taken care of.  

Jun 6, 2012 at 1:36 PM Post #2,049 of 102,913
That is weird. I have no treble spike on mine that I can hear. I am starting to think maybe there is some QC issues happening here. I have absolutely no harsh treble on my pair at all. You and Bjaardker. Both seem to be having sharp highs that does not exist on my pair. Interesting. What color you get Danny. Also do you get noticeable sibilance on your pair?

Jun 6, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #2,050 of 102,913
Quote:
Good to know,

I've still got my fx40s thundering away on bassdrive. I hope at least, i can't remember if i clicked play this morning. I turned them off overnight, as i can't possibly sleep with that ruckus, even after i wrapped it in a towel.

I might have to try one of the cheaper v-sonics, or perhaps a Meelec. Some of the budget-phones from outside this thread. I'm beginning to doubt my prior list of "to-try" phones, after these last two phones i'm having a hard time imagining anything better.
No reviews comparing any of the vsonics to these new JVCs yet.

I've taken a serious liking to dynamic drivers, that's for sure. But there's still something for the BA sound. Someone needs to start making budget hybrid

Hey i have meelec m6, vsonic gr06, fx40 and 101's here right now.  maybe do a bit of a/b ing later.

Jun 6, 2012 at 1:49 PM Post #2,051 of 102,913
Quote:
That is weird. I have no treble spike on mine that I can hear. I am starting to think maybe there is some QC issues happening here. I have absolutely no harsh treble on my pair at all. You and Bjaardker. Both seem to be having sharp highs that does not exist on my pair. Interesting. What color you get Danny. Also do you get noticeable sibilance on your pair?

I got the blue one.  There is definite sibilance.  I am also very sensitive to sibilance and treble peaks.  I could not enjoy the CK10's and EX1000's because of this issue.  I notice this on the CKM1000's also but its very minor and tolerable.  I can also notice the sibilance on the CKM500's but it doesn't bother me at all on those.  I know this issue has to do with my tolerance more than the earphones itself.  

Jun 6, 2012 at 1:52 PM Post #2,053 of 102,913
Quote:
Getting close to 60 hours of burn on the 101's and though it has tamed down some, I still find the highs to be piercing.  This makes me afraid of the FX40's which are yet to arrive.  I like everything else about the sound but the treble spike.  I wonder if the FX3X has this problem taken care of.  

What songs are you listening to when you hear the piercing highs? I'd like to give it a shot just so i'm not missing something here.
The 40s are sharp, but my ears are sensitive.

Quote:

Same thoughts here. I've got my FX101s on right now, and they do have what some would characterize as crisp highs, they don't have piercing highs.

For the sake of comparison, I ordered the Black ones (cheapest). I'm considering stopping at sears on the way home to pick up a pair of FR201s on the way home.

Hey dsnuts, do you own any of the cheaper v-sonics, meelecs, vsonics, or the likes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back