The discovery thread!
Jan 22, 2014 at 12:57 AM Post #20,056 of 100,489

You are seriously out of control doc! Lol!
beerchug.gif

GO DOC GO.  serious phone research in front of you.  thanks for all the time, effort, expense and analysis you are about to do.  and enjoy the music through
all of those great research tools.  you are on the edge of the sound shamanic quest for vibrational portals to ecstasy!

Jan 22, 2014 at 1:02 AM Post #20,057 of 100,489

So then, they don't get high honours in the HYPE thread then?

It depends the final verdict is still not out............................................................ cuz i haven't reviewed them yet.
tongue.gif

Fiio x3 = organic ...not warm but natural sounding...and no thanks in a married man :sunglasses:...the fiio x3 sound beery beautiful after about fitty hours of use and is becoming so nice:blush:....im so done head fi...the on ear is killer :smiling_imp:

^ OK BYE!!!
rolleyes.gif

Jan 22, 2014 at 1:17 AM Post #20,062 of 100,489
I love my Sony Z series because it has that beautifully warm touch. Warm and well presented bass, with tamed highs and lush mids. The way I like my music presented. The sansa is more transparent and less lush and warm, but i still like it. If my HiFiMan can provide a nice slot in between, then I'll be a very happy man with no need for a DAP upgrade. 

Jan 22, 2014 at 1:32 AM Post #20,063 of 100,489
If it's HM-601, I found it rather average unfortunately. It leans warm bassy with rolled off treble, detailing levels aren't much better than an iPod 5.5 classic or iPod video. With 6-8 hour run times mine was never off the charger, like a slave I gave up on it rather quickly. It performs better from line out. Personally I found the Colorfly C3 quite a bit better.

Jan 22, 2014 at 1:46 AM Post #20,065 of 100,489
There's some links here I remember seeing regarding HM-601, showing it's flaws.

This one here from ABI: http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62111

And if the HO output impedance is anything like HM-602, (which is most likely) that's 11.4ohms which is terrible for low impedance IEM's, especially those like the 10ohm Dunu DN-1000.

Link: http://www.head-fi.org/t/524012/review-hifiman-hm-601/915#post_7559579

Anyway, carry on with your discovery thread, sorry for intruding. 

Jan 22, 2014 at 3:44 AM Post #20,066 of 100,489
If it's HM-601, I found it rather average unfortunately. It leans warm bassy with rolled off treble, detailing levels aren't much better than an iPod 5.5 classic or iPod video. With 6-8 hour run times mine was never off the charger, like a slave I gave up on it rather quickly. It performs better from line out. Personally I found the Colorfly C3 quite a bit better.

the colorfly is too basic. No album covers or anything else that I like. It might not be important to sound, but I could go with quite a few good sounding DAP's that have pretty much no tag recognition. I'm someone who likes tags, which is why I enjoy my Sony and my Sansa. Warm is how I like it too. The X3 was so far from warm, with such weak bass response, that I just couldn't dig it. But thanks for the heads up. If the ^01 turns out to be cruddy, I'll sell it and move on to something else. The battery life worries me some, but then again the battery life in the sansa isn't that great either. 

Jan 22, 2014 at 3:45 AM Post #20,067 of 100,489
   Are you getting the 601 LE?  I believe the LE model uses the same amp chip as the 602.

it's the 601 slim. Not sure if that's anything like the LE?

Jan 22, 2014 at 5:23 AM Post #20,068 of 100,489
  the colorfly is too basic. No album covers or anything else that I like. It might not be important to sound, but I could go with quite a few good sounding DAP's that have pretty much no tag recognition. I'm someone who likes tags, which is why I enjoy my Sony and my Sansa. Warm is how I like it too. The X3 was so far from warm, with such weak bass response, that I just couldn't dig it. But thanks for the heads up. If the ^01 turns out to be cruddy, I'll sell it and move on to something else. The battery life worries me some, but then again the battery life in the sansa isn't that great either. 

Oh, so that's why you didn't like the Pistons when you listened to them through your X3. You a basshead, meng?

Jan 22, 2014 at 5:38 AM Post #20,069 of 100,489
  Oh, so that's why you didn't like the Pistons when you listened to them through your X3. You a basshead, meng?

not exactly that. The X3 doesn't present bass in a well rounded way. It lacks weight and sub bass extension. It presents bass in a very lazy, almost dry way. You listen to the Piston with the Sansa Fuze or Sony, and you can feel the sub bass and mid bass, and get that feeling of weight and speed. The X3 presents it more linear. More like bass from a HiFiMan RE product...if you follow?

Jan 22, 2014 at 5:42 AM Post #20,070 of 100,489

Kinda' disappointing that these piston don't even best the ATH CKN70s tbh. If true that is....
ph34r.gif

I prefer thew Piston's over the CKN70's 
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back