The discovery thread!
Jan 19, 2014 at 7:37 PM Post #19,636 of 100,819
Like the song, definitely quite strong treble, I'd argue maybe too strong. Cymbals really stand out, somewhat tizzy at time, but I did listen through a laptop, to a Vevo video, throuigh Monster Gratitudes, which tend to be tizzy themselves (especially early on, and mine just came a few days ago to replace my previous pair.). Do like this music, though, gotta look into the band some more.

I wanted to thank you for that earlier music of the day post you made, I need to look into that jazz artist as the sounds were amazing on the H3s, the depth, accuracy, speed of the instruments made me in love with the instrumental! 

And I agree about the cymbals standing out, but the sonys do it beautifully that it doesn't hurt, :')

lol, the laptop and the youtube page are the culprit, go use them players meng! That and spotify if you can...

Those gratitudes sound awesome, I wish I bought it at the time of the hype, but I already have the iems I want. 

Glad you liked the music post, Dave Douglas has been around for a while, incredible artist. I post music fairly regularly, generally don't get comments so I'm never sure if anyone even listens (I still have fun posting, though). If you want any info on Dave Douglas, or other similar artists, let me know (though, I can probably recommend enough to keep you busy for years LOL)

Jan 19, 2014 at 7:39 PM Post #19,637 of 100,819

The issue with these being so awesome and not getting any hype could be the $240+ price tag for a single armature driver,and granted head-fi'ers give these huge love and say the bass is off the hook for a single BA, but for so many competitors in the single BA world, including the ZA singlos, the Klipsch X11, ect ect, that price is really steep, and you can get some wicked awesome dual driver IEMs at the same price point. If not for that price, I'd be really interested in picking them up.

Yeah you may be right, but these aren't your run-of-the-mill single BA and I believe that, at their pricepoint, they're an incredible value. On Amazon Jp right now they're only 20,580 yen, which is way cheaper than the $270 I paid for mine. I've learned that one should never judge FAD's products in the same way you judge similar products from other manufacturers since FAD always does it a bit different (and usually better).

Jan 19, 2014 at 7:43 PM Post #19,638 of 100,819
Yeah it does move fast, becUse the Piston have been reviewed, impressed, and processed like Christmas Carols at the holidays. They are highly detailed, strong bass but no bleed, lively and timbre accurate highs, smooth mids, and mildly if just minutely v-shaped.

thanks, sounds like my kind of sound, mic control is a plus
lets see how the bassos do.

Jan 19, 2014 at 7:45 PM Post #19,639 of 100,819
So would you say that the FA V aging is better with a single BA at that price point than the KEF M200, ZA Doppios, or DUNU DN-1000, all three at roughly the same price point as the V aging?

eric? Your thoughts?

Jan 19, 2014 at 7:49 PM Post #19,640 of 100,819
The issue with these being so awesome and not getting any hype could be the $240+ price tag for a single armature driver,and granted head-fi'ers give these huge love and say the bass is off the hook for a single BA, but for so many competitors in the single BA world, including the ZA singlos, the Klipsch X11, ect ect, that price is really steep, and you can get some wicked awesome dual driver IEMs at the same price point. If not for that price, I'd be really interested in picking them up.

+1 the single ba is what also put me off on the ortofons and heavens, but it isn't bad to be honest, except that the im02s do better than the ortofons.
Glad you liked the music post, Dave Douglas has been around for a while, incredible artist. I post music fairly regularly, generally don't get comments so I'm never sure if anyone even listens (I still have fun posting, though). If you want any info on Dave Douglas, or other similar artists, let me know (though, I can probably recommend enough to keep you busy for years LOL)

I had a feeling Douglas has been around, I'm just oblivious to some artists unfortunately. I have seen some and enjoyed them thorougly, as I am aware that some people did as well. Sometimes just a comment about the artist comes up and not the song itself, lol. It's cool though, it's better to provide some songs here, regardless of comments. I'll let you know soon enough to be honest, I'm hungry for music, and those ath-re700s are coming sooner than I thought!

Edit: I also saw the rolling stones video you posted, along with Cyrus Chestnut yesterday, but I didn't get to hear it with the xba-h3s, I will give my thoughts on those as they seem promising (that and I love rolling stones). 
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah you may be right, but these aren't your run-of-the-mill single BA and I believe that, at their pricepoint, they're an incredible value. On Amazon Jp right now they're only 20,580 yen, which is way cheaper than the $270 I paid for mine. I've learned that one should never judge FAD's products in the same way you judge similar products from other manufacturers since FAD always does it a bit different (and usually better).

+1 I have a good feeling about this ba.

As for the price, I say you are talking blasphemy!
I will sell of the im02s if this is the case you dirty dealer. 
cool.gif

Wait, the heaven V or the heaven V aging?

Jan 19, 2014 at 7:58 PM Post #19,641 of 100,819
Originally Posted by vlenbo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

As for the price, I say you are talking blasphemy!
I will sell of the im02s if this is the case you dirty dealer. 
cool.gif

I'm talking about the Heaven V, not the Aging. The difference between them is only cosmetic so if you just want the sound for the lowest price, go for the normal version. I actually prefer the regular Heaven V since I like the color scheme much more and the metal finish doesn't change. Quoted from Rin's review of the Heaven V Aging: "bodily fluid from a normal usage causes oxidation of the brass housing, leaving gooey green residue underneath the ear sleeve. Users must pay attention to any possibilities of the residue getting into the driver." This won't happen for the normal version. Also I've found that the finish for the normal version is highly scratch resistant, as I take mine everywhere with me and there's not a single mark on the housing anywhere.

Jan 19, 2014 at 8:11 PM Post #19,642 of 100,819

It's definitely the price lol.

But you don't understand. Firstly, the bass isn't off the hook for a single BA, it's off the hook period. It's organic. And It's not about the minutia. The sound is holistic. It makes you want to just close your eyes and listen, not have the urge to AB for hours.

You have no guarantee of anything by just having an extra driver. It's not like an extra driver will instantly give you more of anything.

So here's the thing, MF has heard both and has said that the sound for all intents and purposes is the same between them. I can't say personally because I haven't heard both.

For anyone about to jump on the Heaven V train, please be aware of the fact that the Aging model might patina and then you have possible upkeep involved. So it might be worth looking into the regular Heaven V if that isn't your cup of tea.

Jan 19, 2014 at 8:17 PM Post #19,643 of 100,819
I'm afraid to read your writeup vwinter!

Jan 19, 2014 at 8:22 PM Post #19,644 of 100,819
Hmm $216 CD + $20 tenso = $236. Hmm!

Jan 19, 2014 at 8:26 PM Post #19,645 of 100,819
vwinter, or someone else, you should just quote your impressions and put them here. then watch the madness begin. 
biggrin.gif

Jan 19, 2014 at 8:30 PM Post #19,646 of 100,819
Whoa, I stop reading this thread for two days and all of a sudden the FAD Heaven V is finally getting some major hype in here! Never thought this day would come haha. Yeah vwinter's impressions got to me too, never read a writeup like that on head-fi before, so good job vwinter! About time more people heard about the FAD Heavens.

Thanks!

I'm afraid to read your writeup vwinter!

Haha
What doesn't kill you... makes you poorer?

Jan 19, 2014 at 8:36 PM Post #19,647 of 100,819
Yes, IEMagnet01 is right, I'm asking if you could give us an update in your IEM expierence list.

So where would you place the Pistons in this list:XBA-H3 = Cardas EM5813 = Aurisonics AS-2 (hybrid) > KEF M200 > ATH-IM70 > RE-400 > ATH-CKS1000 > JVC FXZ-100 > Aurisonics ASG-1.2 > TDK IE800  

And where would you place the Doppios in this list: 1964 EARS V6 > 1964-Q >Dunu DN-1000 (hybrid) > T-PEOS H-200 (hybrid) = W4 = FI-BA-SS > TDK..

Curious to how you would rate them purely based on SQ, irrelevant to the price.

Too early to answer that question other than to say the Piston competes withe them all except Asg-1(from memory).

Jan 19, 2014 at 8:42 PM Post #19,650 of 100,819

...on the XBA-H3...

Ha ha. But yup, H3's way at the top of the radar. Will be interested in Danny's comparison of the two.

Have you heard the V's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back