The discovery thread!
Dec 30, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #17,912 of 102,633
Only way ima upgrade is when dn2k comes out and fiio x5 x7 and saianara headfi
biggrin.gif

you're saying that this will be your final and complete upgrade?? No going up from there??!! GOOD LUCK! 
beerchug.gif

Dec 30, 2013 at 4:27 PM Post #17,913 of 102,633
  I received my FiiO E12 today, and I must say I love what I'm hearing. I've only tested the HPH-200s so far, but dat low end is just awesome. I have a question though that I haven't really found an answer for yet. What should be the volume on the source vs the amp? Just curious if there is a good ratio between the two 
beyersmile.png

I generally set the source to max volume:

- laptop (max volume) -> usb DAC -> E12 (adjust volume)

- Colorfly C3 (max volume) -> E12 (adjust volume)

- Clip Zip (almost max volume) -> E12 (adjust volume

I'm not sure where I got the notion to do that from, but it seems to work well for me. I'm interested in other opinions though. I found this thread, but I don't see a consensus there:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/396139/source-volume-vs-amp-volume

I'm sure there are other threads as well.

Dec 30, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #17,914 of 102,633
  I got love for the TF10, but after I got the M200, and while they were working, I just fell in love with the smooth detailed sound. Then when i went back to my TF10's, I started to dislike the plasticky low end. It's not a natural low end. I love the mids and the highs are golden, but going from the M200 to TF10, the bass is too artificial for my tastes at this time. 

Since I have had about ten of those style UE's, I know it well. The plastic wrap covers all the notes though noticeable more in the bass. It comes from the cable. Better cable, no artificial tone. That stock cable may have been good to add some body to the note of the single and duals but it should have been redone when the TF10 was rolled out. Buuut, that's what you get cause they wanted their customs to be more impressive. Always hated that about UE, leaving some SQ untapped esp. when you wanted $400 for them when they rolled them out. Shure has no excuse since they didn't make customs and, after how long, putting the filters that should have been in the 530/535 to start with and calling them limited edition. Little choice back then and we had to fix stuff they seemingly should have been able to. Be thankful the mid-2000's are long gone!!!

Dec 30, 2013 at 5:26 PM Post #17,915 of 102,633

Since I have had about ten of those style UE's, I know it well. The plastic wrap covers all the notes though noticeable more in the bass. It comes from the cable. Better cable, no artificial tone. That stock cable may have been good to add some body to the note of the single and duals but it should have been redone when the TF10 was rolled out. Buuut, that's what you get cause they wanted their customs to be more impressive. Always hated that about UE, leaving some SQ untapped esp. when you wanted $400 for them when they rolled them out. Shure has no excuse since they didn't make customs and, after how long, putting the filters that should have been in the 530/535 to start with and calling them limited edition. Little choice back then and we had to fix stuff they seemingly should have been able to. Be thankful the mid-2000's are long gone!!!

thanks! I'll look into getting a cable upgrade. If that cable can fix that plastic sound, then I'll be a happy camper. 

Dec 30, 2013 at 5:47 PM Post #17,917 of 102,633
yes and I'm turely done ...the dnk is vastly epic and the dn2k are the upgraded version so they must be the one ....:D

Another happy DN1000 owner! Congratulations meng!

Dec 30, 2013 at 5:59 PM Post #17,918 of 102,633
is it fair to say the dunu dn-1000's are better than the kef m200's? there are a pair of kef m200's on sale on the marketplace here right now for $125 but all the talk of fit issues scares me off, plus it seems as if the dunu dn-1000's are better but i haven't heard for sure that they are.

Dec 30, 2013 at 6:17 PM Post #17,920 of 102,633
  is it fair to say the dunu dn-1000's are better than the kef m200's? there are a pair of kef m200's on sale on the marketplace here right now for $125 but all the talk of fit issues scares me off, plus it seems as if the dunu dn-1000's are better but i haven't heard for sure that they are.

The KEF M200 are amazing, but the LF driver went out on mine after a couple days, and apparently it's an issue that happened with other head-fiers as well, so I would say buy that KEF with extreme caution. I'm sending mine back. 

Dec 30, 2013 at 7:24 PM Post #17,922 of 102,633

I have both and I love them. If you're into clarity and sparkle the dn1000 will suit you. If you want more balanced sound signature with smooth yet detailed resolution, the kef won't disappoint you. Basically it's, more like: you want BA or Dynamic sound? Coz they are both really great especially for the price. Goodluck!

Dec 30, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #17,923 of 102,633
I have both and I love them. If you're into clarity and sparkle the dn1000 will suit you. If you want more balanced sound signature with smooth yet detailed resolution, the kef won't disappoint you. Basically it's, more like: you want BA or Dynamic sound? Coz they are both really great especially for the price. Goodluck!

are you saying the dn-1000's are less balanced? in what way? personally i like as close to to neutral as i can get since i listen to a wide variety of genres. i currently use the re-400's which i feel are great for that but sometimes lack a little in the bass impact department and i want an upgrade. 

Dec 30, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #17,924 of 102,633
Can anyone comment more on the weight of the DN1Ks? I use medium sized eartips on all IEMs and these look ideal but not sure how they'd feel worn straight down?

Also, I want a portable amp to use for my IEMs on my PC (Mainly for the smaller size). Any decent priced recommendations?

Dec 30, 2013 at 8:05 PM Post #17,925 of 102,633

I wouldn't say that at all. I think the M200 are more detailed, more opened and more refined. Yet, the DN-1K is a very good sounding IEM. I was digging it this morning. But going upward in sound (with the caveat that all three are very good) >> DN-1K ....  M200  .... H3 for my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back