The discovery thread!
Nov 29, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #17,146 of 100,366

LoL you're sure you ain't my evil good twin???
evil_smiley.gif

Cheers meng, happy modding/ listening. But mod/ listen safely.
tongue.gif

Super twins! But I'd rather be the monkey than the girl twin... 
wink.gif

Nov 29, 2013 at 9:56 PM Post #17,147 of 100,366

Super twins! But I'd rather be the monkey than the girl twin... 
wink.gif

Or this Twin. LMAO
http://www.head-fi.org/u/275867/twinqy

Course i would too cuz dat monkey can get some action and not have to feel being weird out/ a freak by it if you knowhatimeng.
wink.gif

Just look @ how those two are eyeing one another. YOU SICK screw!!!
triportsad.gif

Dem visuals boi!!!
deadhorse.gif
Oh and i just added a horse to make it even mo' interesting/ fun. hoho
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 30, 2013 at 12:01 AM Post #17,148 of 100,366
OK, lotta activity...wound up biting on the M200, got pages of notes on the Yamaha HPH-200, this holiday/family stuff is crimping my style, though...generally don't have a ton of time free, have long weekend and even less time than usual (family time has been really nice, though). Try to put all those pages together in the next few days (work and family stuff again tomorrow, Sunday at the earliest), hope everyone had a really nice Thanksgiving!

Nov 30, 2013 at 1:31 AM Post #17,149 of 100,366
Well, you all got me to bite on a pair of HPH-200s. Coming from an SR80i, the budget headphones everyone was raving about when I first got into high quality audio, I'm hoping to hear a big improvement. And looking forward to the comfort factor as well. I never did change the pads on my Grados. (shudders)
The Pioneer SE-A1000 looked good at first, but based on the impressions from more experienced and jaded Head-Fi folk I decided against it. I dislike those who hype without experience and those who shoot down hype in dastardly and angry ways... And the OPs who defend their position until their last breath, crippling the honest potential of their hyped product. It obscures things for me as I try to make a little cash go far by buying the headphones that possess truly exceptional price/performance ratios.

Music is subjective, after all. -smiles- I fall under the "inexperienced" category, so I only compare to 'phones I have when I review. Unless you can A/B for your writing or have a god's sonic memory, things seem iffy to me.
I also ordered a pair of Samson SR950s, which I'm assuming are a Superlux HD662 rebrand. Velour, here I come! My friend has them (and loves them) so I decided to bite the bullet... If they sound decent, they may be worth bringing up again on this thread. After the Superlux 668B rebrand that is the Samson SR850 (I paid extra for the company's semi-reliable q/c, warranty, and customer support), I figured they might have a sonic signature worth pursuing. I think Samson may change the drivers, as the SR850 specifies 32 ohms while the 668B states 56.

Little info exists about them on Head-Fi, so I'm doing a favor for the community too. *ahem* Yeah, that's it.

(Using a Sabre U2 > JDS cMoyBB as the DAC/amp pair.)

Nov 30, 2013 at 11:16 AM Post #17,150 of 100,366

What are X1's advantages/disadvantages compared to HPH-200? (please disregard the price difference).

It's simply on a whole different level in clarity, details, imaging, instrument separation, and fullness of sound. There are better sounding headphones out there, I believe, but this is the best I've ever heard. It's an open headphone with great bass, mids and highs.I can place the location of musicians easily front back and side to side. Fantastic weight on notes. The HPH-200 is not  on the X1's level at all to my ears.

Nov 30, 2013 at 11:25 AM Post #17,151 of 100,366
  OK, lotta activity...wound up biting on the M200, got pages of notes on the Yamaha HPH-200, this holiday/family stuff is crimping my style, though...generally don't have a ton of time free, have long weekend and even less time than usual (family time has been really nice, though). Try to put all those pages together in the next few days (work and family stuff again tomorrow, Sunday at the earliest), hope everyone had a really nice Thanksgiving!

Thanks and same to you doctor jazz. looking forward for your reports on the HP200 and the M200. throw some notes in there
on the Mikinos90 if you got those also. Happy post thanksgiving weekend.

Nov 30, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #17,152 of 100,366

It's simply on a whole different level in clarity, details, imaging, instrument separation, and fullness of sound. There are better sounding headphones out there, I believe, but this is the best I've ever heard. It's an open headphone with great bass, mids and highs.I can place the location of musicians easily front back and side to side. Fantastic weight on notes. The HPH-200 is not  on the X1's level at all to my ears.

yes it is. the X1 is simply bigger, more powerful, has bigger soundstage etc.and is more expensive.  but the HPH200 has a sweet spot for natural sound, balance,instrument separation and musicality that is simply unmatched and delightful.  i have trouble stopping listening to both, but the EPH200sdetain me in musical paradise more often, and i forget i am wearing them and start dreaming with the music.  kudos to both, and both
are worth listening to for hours and hours, and one should not have to make a choice., cause both are jewels.

Nov 30, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #17,153 of 100,366
  yes it is. the X1 is simply bigger, more powerful, has bigger soundstage etc.and is more expensive.  but the HPH200 has a sweet spot for natural sound, balance,instrument separation and musicality that is simply unmatched and delightful.  i have trouble stopping listening to both, but the EPH200sdetain me in musical paradise more often, and i forget i am wearing them and start dreaming with the music.  kudos to both, and both
are worth listening to for hours and hours, and one should not have to make a choice., cause both are jewels.

beerchug.gif

Nov 30, 2013 at 1:30 PM Post #17,154 of 100,366

I have suspected that the fascination with HPH-200 is mostly due to the 100$ price tag.
If it was sold at its intended price of 200$, it wouldn't get any attention, as it's obviously not a "giants killer".

HPH-200 is an oxymoron - an open portable headphone.
It can't be used as most portables on the go, and due to the small size, it won't compete with good full-size open ones.

Nov 30, 2013 at 1:53 PM Post #17,155 of 100,366

I have suspected that the fascination with HPH-200 is mostly due to the 100$ price tag.
If it was sold at its intended price of 200$, it wouldn't get any attention, as it's obviously not a "giants killer".

It can't be used as most portables on the go, and due to the small size, it won't compete with good full-size open ones.

That's your opinion on headphone I believe you haven't heard yet. It's a good headphone. You need to hear it for yourself before jumping to all of those conclusions. You certainly can't pull out of that from my comments. Plus, I don't recall anyone stating that it's a giant kller. Some did type that is goes head-to-head with some headphones causing hundreds of dollars more. I don't think that's an untrue statement. My contention is that I don't need it since I have other headphones that suit me fine sound signature-wise. But all headphones, of course, don't sound the same. The HPH-200 may suit someone else's sound signature than say the X1. We all have different expectations when it comes to audio equipment enjoyment (I don't like cold analytical sounding headphones too much as an example, but I know plenty who love that type of sound signature). 

Nov 30, 2013 at 2:22 PM Post #17,156 of 100,366

For some people, they would fill a niche. I like to wear headphones around the house. I do that with any of them that have a short enough cable. I could see myself enjoying the HPH-200's around the house due to their size, weight, comfort and SQ. I do use my X1's portably around the house, but they are somewhat huge, so I tend to use them more often at the desk. My point: different strokes for different folks.

Nov 30, 2013 at 3:36 PM Post #17,157 of 100,366

For some people, they would fill a niche. I like to wear headphones around the house. I do that with any of them that have a short enough cable. I could see myself enjoying the HPH-200's around the house due to their size, weight, comfort and SQ. I do use my X1's portably around the house, but they are somewhat huge, so I tend to use them more often at the desk. My point: different strokes for different folks.

How you doin', Wayne-calmed down yet? (starting to settle a bit myself). Don't have a shrink that travels to the Great North Way yet, so figured I'd post this for you in the meantime...

Nov 30, 2013 at 3:54 PM Post #17,158 of 100,366
thought i'd put some impressions about these new iems. here you have Danny! 
wink.gif

the Moe Audio SS01. 
the original thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/689069/mini-review-moe-audio-ss01-warning-tongue-in-cheek-and-tacky
got'em a week and half ago. truly impressed for the $60 or less price!! 
first listening: Amazing low-end. the bass is so full and engaging. like the old Fischer audio Eterna with it's crazy bass. mids are very forward. so thick and sick! highs were too smoothed down, even more than the RE400 with sony hybrid tips
after some short burn-in, they show some nice serious improvements. vocals have better presence and great texture. but i feel they still need a lot of burn-in to shine, specially the male ones.
highs are  brighter now, and keep opening up.
details are hidden at first, but slowly show up.
oh, and stage is really big. 
fit is great, very ergonomic. at least for me. some might have problems, like my cousin had. 
isolation is impressive, even with just stock tips, and i dont need to tip-rolling at all.
flat cable, but no microphonics even worn down
i think these beat the VSD1-S already

the only issue is the mild driver flex. but for the thick and fun sound it's easy to forget about

full review soon, but let them burn more!

just GET'EM now. 

Nov 30, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #17,159 of 100,366
  thought i'd put some impressions about these new iems. here you have Danny! 
wink.gif

the Moe Audio SS01. 
the original thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/689069/mini-review-moe-audio-ss01-warning-tongue-in-cheek-and-tacky
got'em a week and half ago. truly impressed for the $60 or less price!! 
first listening: Amazing low-end. the bass is so full and engaging. like the old Fischer audio Eterna with it's crazy bass. mids are very forward. so thick and sick! highs were too smoothed down, even more than the RE400 with sony hybrid tips
after some short burn-in, they show some nice serious improvements. vocals have better presence and great texture. but i feel they still need a lot of burn-in to shine, specially the male ones.
highs are  brighter now, and keep opening up.
details are hidden at first, but slowly show up.
oh, and stage is really big. 
fit is great, very ergonomic. at least for me. some might have problems, like my cousin had. 
isolation is impressive, even with just stock tips, and i dont need to tip-rolling at all.
flat cable, but no microphonics even worn down
i think these beat the VSD1-S already

the only issue is the mild driver flex. but for the thick and fun sound it's easy to forget about

full review soon, but let them burn more!

just GET'EM now. 

Wonder how these compare to the ATH IM 50. they are in the same price range and both are dual dynamic :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back