The discovery thread!
Nov 28, 2013 at 6:16 PM Post #17,086 of 100,635

The gerenal rule of thumb for headphones and discounts...10% helps define the bass a bit, 20% brings more defined/rich mids and highs, 30% gives more textured bass, more rhythm/bounce, 40% widens the soundstage, 50% and above brings more space between instruments, better imaging/definition, and richness to the whole presentation. I have the graphs to prove it.

very nice observation!  however, if they are free or less than 5.00 they become worthless or will be given away  to non audiophiles as gifts.  at about 75% off there is sweet spot where the sound quality becomes hallucinatory clear.  in fact, you can disconnect them and they continue to play at that high level through the vibrational inspiration of the good deal.
thank you for pointing the hierarchy of discount/sq to our attention .

I generally agree on the low price end, howerver...any headphone list >$150 that one gets $10 or less will automatically transport you to the original studio or concert venue of the recording being listened to, free stuff <$50 list doesn't have this property, but I'll take them if anyone is getting rid of anything good...

Nov 28, 2013 at 6:44 PM Post #17,087 of 100,635
Bummed-was going to purchase the UE 9000, had to stall because company was here for Thanksgiving (my brother-in-law hinted he'd like them as a birthday present, which is soon), when I got back on, deal was over, sold out. Thanksgiving, shmanksgiving, give it all back to the Indians, I say.

Nov 28, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #17,088 of 100,635
OK, gotta regroup, steel myself, steady the hands, there, you can do it...How about the Audeze headphones? On sale at their site, rosewood or bamboo. Still pretty expensive, though marked down considerably. (funny, I spring for many $100-$200 headphones, adds up to the same dinero in the end, but hard to pull the trigger on the big boys. Of course, if I knew that that would end the headphone wanderlust, I'd be better off that way, but odds are I'd still continue to look around, be unfaithful). Maybe HE-400 or 500 might do the trick, not that high in the stratosphere, can get $100 off, anyone know/have experionce with these? Anyone know a good shrink? Having Black Friday Mania ayeeeeeeeeeeeeeee$*&^%$*&

Nov 28, 2013 at 7:40 PM Post #17,089 of 100,635
  OK, gotta regroup, steel myself, steady the hands, there, you can do it...How about the Audeze headphones? On sale at their site, rosewood or bamboo. Still pretty expensive, though marked down considerably. (funny, I spring for many $100-$200 headphones, adds up to the same dinero in the end, but hard to pull the trigger on the big boys. Of course, if I knew that that would end the headphone wanderlust, I'd be better off that way, but odds are I'd still continue to look around, be unfaithful). Maybe HE-400 or 500 might do the trick, not that high in the stratosphere, can get $100 off, anyone know/have experionce with these? Anyone know a good shrink? Having Black Friday Mania ayeeeeeeeeeeeeeee$*&^%$*&

You stole EVERYTHING that you said above straight from my head. STAY OUT OF MY HEAD DOC - you'r freaking me out!

ps Please PM me once you find that good shrink.
beerchug.gif

Nov 28, 2013 at 9:37 PM Post #17,090 of 100,635
My Astrotec AX60 impressions from the Tour thread:

First impressions:
Wow! The bass! My ears were drawn straight to it. Bass-lovers (particularly sub-bass) will find what they are looking for here. It has that cavernous quality which will definitely attract a lot of people. You can really feel it pulsating which is a nice sensation that I often miss from tighter, higher end headphones - it's nice to hear it again!
Even though the notes aren't completely tight (they do linger a bit), it's extremely well done! It's a very nice natural decay
Soundstage is extremely nice :) 
Everything seems relatively balanced, female vocals and sub-bass/mid-bass are a touch forward, really nicely done (not overblown) emphasis
Not hearing the treble spike, little sibilance heard. Not really annoying at all, only the most fussy will be annoyed. :p
Fit is comfortable, not too finicky. Stock silicones fit nicely, haven't tried foams yet.
Build quality and aesthetics are gorgeous, really well-machined stuff - impressed!
Seriously, I'm just having a rocking good time with these IEM's, just enjoying my music and forgetting all about the nitpicky stuff

Nov 28, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #17,091 of 100,635

im not a shrink, im an expander!  but again i quote the Reveend Billy of the STOP SHOPPING CHURCH:  "STEP AWAY from the object of desire , move back from the connection,  move back into the light...." or not  some more expensive phones are worth it...which ones..???????

Nov 28, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #17,092 of 100,635

im not a shrink, im an expander!  but again i quote the Reveend Billy of the STOP SHOPPING CHURCH:  "STEP AWAY from the object of desire , move back from the connection,  move back into the light...." or not  some more expensive phones are worth it...which ones..???????

That, my dear doctor, is the million dollar question (maybe literally)!!!

Nov 28, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #17,093 of 100,635
Happy Thanks Giving to my Fellow Americanos.. Hope everyone is doing well.

Funny, I drove by the local Best buy and there is a huge line and you can tell folks been hanging out of a long time too..I know folks like a sale but I just don't understand. There is just a good a deals online if not better.. I guess there is something to be said about freezing your arse off and getting a good deal on last years goods. Lol..

Nov 28, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #17,094 of 100,635

I can't answer that. But for some reason I'm on the DT 880 600ohm amazon waitlist (for $229). I'm ascared.

Nov 28, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #17,096 of 100,635
Getting back to "discovery", got a day burn in on the rbh EP1 iem's...put them in to get away from Black Friday deals, get on my exercize bike in a few minutes, watch some football, stop looking at specials and drooling!!! Likely still needs more burn in, also one of those "shallow fit" iems that make me crazy trying to get a fit, changed tips once, may need to play some. Having said all that, seems a bit tizzy on the high end, but these are ALIVE! Open, wide, bass nice, involving. Gonna bike, hopefully sweat a bit, relax some, put these on for burn in, think these are on my "approved" list.

Nov 28, 2013 at 10:09 PM Post #17,097 of 100,635
  Happy Thanks Giving to my Fellow Americanos.. Hope everyone is doing well.

Funny, I drove by the local Best buy and there is a huge line and you can tell folks been hanging out of a long time too..I know folks like a sale but I just don't understand. There is just a good a deals online if not better.. I guess there is something to be said about freezing your arse off and getting a good deal on last years goods. Lol..

Yeah I value my time and comfort much more than a discount.  

Nov 28, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #17,098 of 100,635
  LOL you're scared? I'm seriously considering getting into that Black Friday Noble audio deal and buy an iem that no one here has heard and there are zero impressions of it.

Yeah, scared because it is completely spontaneous and fueled by black friday hype-o-mania, and I know nothing about them lol. I'm pretty sure that I'll let the deal go though considering I am more than happy with my X1's.

Nov 28, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #17,099 of 100,635
Haven't heard them, but I really like the BT-1350 on ears, Beyer seems to know their stuff with these things. (you need people to drop out who got the initial deal, good chance won't happen, though not impossible, of course)

Nov 29, 2013 at 12:48 AM Post #17,100 of 100,635
  ^ Will do. :)

Not need to be jelly, lets just say these are a lil' something something that will bring more joy and unity into this world..... the irony. haha

^ Congrats meng!!!
beerchug.gif

Congrats +2

You should know by now that there is NEVER love for you Canned peps around here.

^ Welp the most obvious traits that jumped out at me was the very sparkly presentation and great instrument layering/ separation, which gives these a really nice 3D sound. They actually sound A LOT better than what Rink's had made them out to be with their graphs or what nots. Bass quality and quantity doesn't feel outta' place nor lacking whatsoever, but they indeed could have use a bit more sub bass emphasis/ extension cuz the mid bass is pretty nicely mixed with the rest of the sound signature. Mids are nicely forward thought not overly lush and treble seems to be on point as well.  

Only listened to them for like a hour or two last night and no ear time today, BUT i can already say these sound better/ more refined than the m200s/ gr07 BEs/ ATH CKS100s/ VSD1 LEs, BUT how much more refined...............

TO BE CONTINUED......

Lets just say they are pretty damn sweet sounding.
ksc75smile.gif

edit: forgot to say happy REAL Thanksgiving ya'll, not the fake Canned one. <333s : P

Turkey is in the oven and is ready to get stuffed!!!
ph34r.gif

Hmmmm? I agree everything you stated about the ASG-2 but more refined (unless we have different definition about what refined mean). Don't get me wrong,  you see where I rank the AS-2/ASG-2 in my signature, but I can't say it's more refined. Nevertheless, a great score for your ears sir. 
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back