The discovery thread!
Nov 4, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #16,321 of 100,528
they sound good out of the x3, but better with a good headphone amp in the loop.
but they really shine with XD50, much better really, and with a good amp in that loop
they are reference class! (e.g. a ray samuels amp).  hallucinatory.  as DS nuts pointed
out more flat response phones sound better with with the x3 and warmer ones with the DX50
its really true, and worth the investment in the DX50 if you have the X3 and want to brining out
the best in phones like the cks1000s and gratitudes....its not a subtle difference, its a magical
synchroniicty difference....

I had a feeling that they would pair better with the DX50. I'm trying to figure out if I should purchase the X3 or the DX50. At the moment I don't wanna purchase both of them so I'm trying to figure which one would be the best. I'm leaning toward the X3 right now because it would make my AD900X sound amazing

Nov 4, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #16,322 of 100,528
So what is about the Gratitude many of you are digging so much? Bass? Mids? Highs? Thickness of notes? I'm resisting still (AX-60 is really shining for me) but curious.

Nov 4, 2013 at 4:06 PM Post #16,323 of 100,528
I had a feeling that they would pair better with the DX50. I'm trying to figure out if I should purchase the X3 or the DX50. At the moment I don't wanna purchase both of them so I'm trying to figure which one would be the best. I'm leaning toward the X3 right now because it would make my AD900X sound amazing

Since I don't have the DX50 I cannot make any comparision but I trust Doc's impressions. That being said I really love the Gratitudes with the X3 so it won't be a miss match that's for sure. I'll guess it's also a matter of personal preferences (as always).

Nov 4, 2013 at 4:18 PM Post #16,324 of 100,528
  So what is about the Gratitude many of you are digging so much? Bass? Mids? Highs? Thickness of notes? I'm resisting still (AX-60 is really shining for me) but curious.

They've got big quality bass with a lot of texture while still sounding very open and wide. The sound is just aggressive enough to have a good sound without hurting your ears. Cymbals have a little bit of a fizz to them, but they sound amazing and clear. The vocals are as if JVC and AT had a baby. They are throaty and deep while being whispery and sweet. Female vocals still edge out male vocals slightly though. I like the sound because it is bright and warm, it's definitely not neutral it is very colored. It does remind me of Audio Technica in a lot of ways. It's like everything is forward while still retained depth, width, and openness which is what is really blowing my mind.

Nov 4, 2013 at 5:33 PM Post #16,325 of 100,528
After spending the weekend with my new phones I just put in the Gratitudes again, I really love the sound signature of these babies!

Nov 4, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #16,326 of 100,528
After spending the weekend with my new phones I just put in the Gratitudes again, I really love the sound signature of these babies!

I know. I mean I really love my AD900X and CKN70s, but after listening to those for a while then putting my Gratitudes in it makes me realize how amazing they are.

Nov 4, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #16,327 of 100,528
  They've got big quality bass with a lot of texture while still sounding very open and wide. The sound is just aggressive enough to have a good sound without hurting your ears. Cymbals have a little bit of a fizz to them, but they sound amazing and clear. The vocals are as if JVC and AT had a baby. They are throaty and deep while being whispery and sweet. Female vocals still edge out male vocals slightly though. I like the sound because it is bright and warm, it's definitely not neutral it is very colored. It does remind me of Audio Technica in a lot of ways. It's like everything is forward while still retained depth, width, and openness which is what is really blowing my mind.

I LOVE that statement, "its as if JVC and  AT had a baby"  thats a golden nut quote!!!  very nice description 7S Cameron,
excellent writing! and a very accurate assessment. giving gratitude for the gratitudes gratefully!

the X1 and Gratitudes  were pleasant,
but its the DX50 and Gratitudes that made me hallucinate and lose time and space......

Nov 4, 2013 at 6:21 PM Post #16,328 of 100,528
Hello my friends; 
I'm in a dilemma right now. I'm mostly listening trance and EDM, while I was buying Audio Technica CKS77x (which is very suitable for trance I guess) I saw this Zero audio Basso DX210 and I can't decide now which one is a better choice for trance music. Can you compare this iems for me I would be very grateful. Also I'm open to different iem suggestion. Thank you so much in advance.

Nov 4, 2013 at 6:29 PM Post #16,329 of 100,528
What makes them even cooler is that you kind of get 2 iems depending on your seal. If you shove them way deep they sound like balanced armatures and a correct seal makes them full of amazing everything but less analytical.

Nov 4, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #16,330 of 100,528
  Hello my friends; 
I'm in a dilemma right now. I'm mostly listening trance and EDM, while I was buying Audio Technica CKS77x (which is very suitable for trance I guess) I saw this Zero audio Basso DX210 and I can't decide now which one is a better choice for trance music. Can you compare this iems for me I would be very grateful. Also I'm open to different iem suggestion. Thank you so much in advance.

Although the CKS77X is a bass monster and does well with EDM, I'd go with the Basso's, Gratitudes, Nuforce NE700, RHA MA-600 to name a few.  Those have bass but also are smoother and the bass doesn't distract the rest of the sound.  The 77X's can be a bit fatiguing after a short while of listening also.  I guess it depends on how much bass you need

Nov 4, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #16,331 of 100,528
  Although the CKS77X is a bass monster and does well with EDM, I'd go with the Basso's, Gratitudes, Nuforce NE700, RHA MA-600 to name a few.  Those have bass but also are smoother and the bass doesn't distract the rest of the sound.  The 77X's can be a bit fatiguing after a short while of listening also.  I guess it depends on how much bass you need

I want a good sub-bass and tight bass cause this is very important part of EDM. I'm not a basshead so I want good mids and highs ofcourse maybe I can call this type "bassy audiophile sound" Just the important thing is my ears are very sensitive for edgy highs. I hate sibilance issue cause trance already has so much high frequencies.

Nov 4, 2013 at 7:08 PM Post #16,332 of 100,528
^ Price range? 

As per our PM's, you also expressed interest in the VSD1's (which I endorse). Although you may want to look at the VSD1S's or even VSD1 LE's. See that VSD1 link provided.

The Monster Gratitudes should be considered also.

Nov 4, 2013 at 7:09 PM Post #16,333 of 100,528
  I want a good sub-bass and tight bass cause this is very important part of EDM. I'm not a basshead so I want good mids and highs ofcourse maybe I can call this type "bass audiophile sound" Just the important thing is my ears are very sensitive for edgy highs. I hate sibilance issue cause trance already has so much high frequencies.

Basso's are about the least offensive earphones out there and sounds really good with EDM and just about anything else.  Sub-bass is really excellent and not much mid-bass presence.  I wouldn't call the bass tight but it's not too bad.  Gratitudes would be another good one.  Bass has more texture and is faster.  The Zero Audio Tenores are along the lines of the Basso's but has tighter bass and is slightly more aggressive over the Basso's.  Come to think of it, I think the Tenore's might fit your description better.  I would recommend the Gratitudes but sometimes there's an edginess in the vocal region.  I'm quite sensitive to that but it really hasn't bothered me with this pair.  Many of the Audio Technica earphones tend to bother me with that and the CKS77X is borderline for that.  

Nov 4, 2013 at 7:20 PM Post #16,334 of 100,528
  ^ Price range? 

As per our PM's, you also expressed interest in the VSD1's (which I endorse). Although you may want to look at the VSD1S's or even VSD1 LE's. See that VSD1 link provided.

The Monster Gratitudes should be considered also.

for now I limited the range by 75 USD (max 100 USD) cause I have also Sennheiser amperior. Do you think that VSD1 has enough sub-bass / bass for trance music? and also I read that vsd1s has more treble than regular vsd1 this can be a problem for me I don't know.

Basso's are about the least offensive earphones out there and sounds really good with EDM and just about anything else.  Sub-bass is really excellent and not much mid-bass presence.  I wouldn't call the bass tight but it's not too bad.  Gratitudes would be another good one.  Bass has more texture and is faster.  The Zero Audio Tenores are along the lines of the Basso's but has tighter bass and is slightly more aggressive over the Basso's.  Come to think of it, I think the Tenore's might fit your description better.  I would recommend the Gratitudes but sometimes there's an edginess in the vocal region.  I'm quite sensitive to that but it really hasn't bothered me with this pair.  Many of the Audio Technica earphones tend to bother me with that and the CKS77X is borderline for that.  

I saw that some of reviews on Amazon say that Gratitudes has too much treble sometimes. This can be a deal breaker for me cause as I said I'm looking for smooth but detailed trebles. And do you think that Basso would be better choice over cks77x? Not only bass section I mean in terms of all features of sound.

Nov 4, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #16,335 of 100,528
I don't have the D50 for comparison...use the X3 pretty exclusively, most of the time with Cardas line out cable into ALO National...this is a more neutral combo than the X3 is alone. It's not that bad with the X3 and Gratitudes directly, but sing with the amp. AT CKS 1K's sound downright bad through X3 alone, great when connected to the amp. Of course, it means lugging aroung a bigger rig, but doesn't bother me, still pocketable. We have gone over this ground before...The weak link imo of the X3 is the amp section. I did compare the Gratitudes with and without the ALO amp, the sound is perfectly enjoyable to my ears straight out of the Fiio, but does go up a notch amped. Stage widens, more silence between instruments, better focus on instruments. Still, can groove to the music without it with the Gratitudes. As mentioned, the AT 1K's are a different story, can't listen to them without the amp, muddy, confused with the X3 alone.
I like the Tenore, to respond to the above questions, very comfortable (to me) as well, more so than many of the others mentioned that I've tried, including the Gratitudes (sound good, too, crazy wide soundstage. Can't see what the issue is with the Monsters, though. They are $300 iem's that are available (now that they are being discontinued) for about $60 on Amazon US. I've killed more than that on so-so dinners! Movies for 2 here cover half that (eat, park, baby sit as part of the movie night, you've spent more). Even if you decide you hate them, they have a phone mike, make a nice, not exhorbitant present for someone (thinking of getting some for holiday gifts).
just sayin...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back