The discovery thread!
Oct 27, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #15,931 of 99,912
  Here's something I saw on the Deals thread, has a really good review here on Head Fi, and is rediculously cheap today. Any takers?

Stupid Deal of the Day | SDOTD | Musician's Friend
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/stupid/?src=3TP3DRR

That's a rebrand of the Superlux 662F. The 681 has since overtaken it, and is around the same price, but still a very good headphone for $30.

Oct 27, 2013 at 1:01 PM Post #15,932 of 99,912
There are pros and cons of both earphones. To me I like em both equally for different reasons. The MA750 are more sensitive in that they drive very easily on any source. The S2 sounds great on portable gear but truly shine with more power. Both are detail oriented phones that have great imagery and refinement of sound. The S2 is more neutral of the two sonically but also has the greater ability to scale with more equipment..The S2s build is solid but not quite like the MA750. The MA750 is like military spec type build. The S2 by street standard is excellent but the MA750 clearly wins here.

Sonically both are tuned to be more balanced than emphasizing any one region over another but the S2 extends a touch more on both ends of the spectrum..I think the MA750 is the one I would choose if you guys plan on using it for simple plug n play and gets my vote also for outdoor use.. The S2 don't isolate as well but has no issues with using outdoors but where the S2 is absolute best is plugged into my NFB-5.. I haven't had any phone that I can recall that scales or sound as good as the S2 plugged into more powerful gear. The MA750 sound is capped in comparison. The S2 semi open design with larger stage more extension and dual layered diaphragms is my earphones I use to hear the differences in my gears. As they clearly show me how they sound from one another. This is where the S2 separate themselves from many other in ears and not just the MA750. Most in ears BA or dynamic has a cap in the sound.. Not so much the S2. 

I would base it more on what you plan on using the 2 in ears for. For simple plug and play use on a dap the MA750.. If you own a variety of equipment that you want to clearly hear what the particular gears can do the S2.

Oct 27, 2013 at 2:19 PM Post #15,933 of 99,912
I buy headphones and all sorts of other items from Aliexpress all the time. They are as legit as they come. It is basically chinese ebay. Aliexpress' main company is Alibaba, which is huge.

Just keep in mind there are lots of knockoffs. The $30-40 IE80s for example. Not the real thing so don't expect it to be (and they say they aren't), but they actually do sound really good.

I started a chinese brand thread not too long ago on some of the other earphone/headphones available on it. Lots of good discoveries to be made that are practically unknown.

Thanks for the input, sounds promising.

Do you have a link to the thread with Chinese discovery's?

Oct 27, 2013 at 2:29 PM Post #15,934 of 99,912
Thanks for the input, sounds promising.

Do you have a link to the thread with Chinese discovery's?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/684159/chinese-asian-brand-info-thread-headphones-iems-amps-dacs

The other big legit chinese sites are dx.com and focalprice.com. They let you use Paypal.

The biggest chinese site of all is Taobao. It is nearly impossible to read, but there are sites like Mistertao.com and Ugomark.com with english interfaces that will buy the item for you.

Somic and Takstar have been my favorites so far. Lots of good IEMs and headphones from them in all different price ranges.

Oct 27, 2013 at 2:34 PM Post #15,935 of 99,912
http://www.head-fi.org/t/684159/chinese-asian-brand-info-thread-headphones-iems-amps-dacs

The other big legit chinese sites are dx.com and focalprice.com. They let you use Paypal.

The biggest chinese site of all is Taobao. It is nearly impossible to read, but there are sites like Mistertao.com and Ugomark.com with english interfaces that will buy the item for you.

Somic and Takstar have been my favorites so far. Lots of good IEMs and headphones from them in all different price ranges.

Thanks!

I got some Takstar, Somics and Superlux so I know what can be expected:)

Oct 27, 2013 at 2:35 PM Post #15,936 of 99,912
  Ugh, I'm going to have to talk to them about that. First they mail it to the wrong place, then they have that...it's not been the funnest of weeks....

Did you read the one feedback note? Some issues with sale:) Then again he got the sale price of  $9.70

Oct 27, 2013 at 3:03 PM Post #15,937 of 99,912

Cardas-Em5813 earspeakers..I had the opportunity to have these in the house for a couple of weeks and I think I am ready to write how I hear these. These earphones at current cost of $425 are intriguing for several reasons.. It is the type of phones one has to own or have for several weeks to understand what type of sound these earphones portray..

I went to a dinner party yesterday and it was interesting that the host of the party had a old family RCA Victorola phono player that was owned by his father in the living room. Looked kinda like this

Had and integrated tube amplifier and speakers within the unit playing some old 60s records. Needless to say I was pleasantly surprised with the warm full bodied sound this thing played in the background while we was enjoying some Lasagna and wine. It has been a while since I heard something like this..As old and analog the sound was it was captivating and just added to the charm of the familys house. He wasn't too much of an audiophile but he had his fathers collection of old records and this box to add to the ambiance of the living room..That was when it hit me.. I was thinking about the Cardas.

These Cardas have an old school sound to them. I immediately equated the full bodied sound to what I was hearing on the Cardas. To me what is interesting about the Cardas is it is not tuned like your average in ears..I think some of the old time guys we have on the threads will appreciate the sound of these Cardas to the fullest. And even younger guys that are more in tuned with how music was portrayed in the past will appreciate the sound of the Cardas.. A warm full bodied deep and wide sound that captivates you.. These do sound like speakers in your ears vs earphones that just have a big sound. The sound presentation is a grand one and one that you have to get used to in order to fully appreciate the sound they emit..Once you do adjust to the sound. Other earphones like the MA750, S2 XBA-3. All sound like small fry sound. Lol. Well like earphones..

These are not a neutral reference type sound or do they claim to be. As much research and delay of the phones there is some split in how guys view the sound but to me it was more of how enjoyable the sound ultimately is. And enjoyable they absolutely are..Now one thing I did notice when I first got them was the need for burn in. They already had 200 hours on them but to me they had a bit of a veil going on so they have had an additional 150 plus hours on my burning station..

So one word for guys that own these. These absolutely require a large amount of burn in. I noticed with almost 400 hours of burn in the sound has opened up big time. The mids especially has cleared up tremendously. Cleaner clearer tighter which lets more treble presence play a part of the sound. I don't know if it was intended by Cardas to include such a driver to perform better over time but these earphones are exactly that. The more you get them drivers loose the better and better these sound.. The mids of the earphones are where they shine. the sheer range of emotion in the mid range is at a grand scale. The bass end has foundation in the presentation but done in a tasteful way. Where music bass notes are fluid and don't over step the overall sound in presentation.

This sound sticking to a true old school sound has the highs and treble as accents for the music. The highs are not hidden or missing but these are clearly not a highs first earphone..Treble range has ample presence on this sound and is just as deep as the other ranges. Though not emphasized more than the mids or the bass end. One might think. Well this might sound off. But it don't. The sound is fluid. Smooth dimensional full of body and warmth...Yes this sound is not for everyone but for guys that are good with and old school presentation of sound. These are stunning in ears.. They don't have the best treble refinement or bass refinement but they have arguably one of the most unbelievable mid sections for in ear phones I have ever heard. The meat of your music is portrayed in a grand scale unlike anything else I have ever heard.. Now comes the negatives. They do cost a lot of money but for sound purists. These are a must own. The bulk of the cost was in the materials used for these in ear. As for all the research done for these..

They have a one of kind sound that is absolutely enveloping and done in such a big scale. They literally sound like I have a warm tube amplifier hooked up to them..And it sounds marvelous.  It is hard to hear regular in ears after getting used to the sound..Mine are borrowed but I don't want to return them. lol.

Oct 27, 2013 at 3:09 PM Post #15,938 of 99,912
So, like wine, the Cardas-Em5813 gets better with age. They sound like they sound amazing. I might have to add them to my Wishlist.

Oct 27, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #15,939 of 99,912
That is a great way of putting it. I think if the Cardas sounded like another audiophile neutralized in ears they wouldn't be as unique in sound. But as they are I have grown immensely fond of them. When I first got them I didn't think they were worth the money spent.. That has changed completely with more burn in and listening.

For the guys that own these. Put them back on the burn in. I am willing to bet you guys. You need at least another months worth. Lol. That cord alone probably needs 200 hours.  You have everything to gain from a long burn in with these. I now feel they are starting to actually sound like they were intended and also feel they will get even better with more burn in.

The pair I have is 100X better sounding than the demo they had at the Cardas table at CanJam by the way. I don't think those they had at the show was amply burned in.

Oct 27, 2013 at 3:25 PM Post #15,940 of 99,912
^ Awesome stuff Ds, keep us updated if you hear more changes with mo' beat down.

So you mentioned the mids are the most sweet you have heard on these crustaceans how do would you compare them to the mids of the ATH ES700s??? Cuz the mids on those are the most sweet/ amazing i have heard from all of my gears.

Also you mentioned the old school speaker like sonic presentation of these Cardas so how do they compare with the FXZ200s which is the closest "speaker-like" sound i have heard so far. 

DAT CRUSTACEAN GOTS ME HYPED!!!
triportsad.gif
But not sure if my noob @ss will appreciate such an unique sound tbh. haha

Oct 27, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #15,941 of 99,912
The problem with the FXZs is they have a sound cap to their sound stage even though those have a big sound too and while amping helps in this regard.. The cardas on the other hand don't sound like they have a sound cap. The stage is immense for earphones. Probably one of the biggest and largest scale of sound I have ever heard in any earphones. The Mids of the Cardas takes time for them to sound like the pair I have.. While there is sweetness to the ES700s mids. The mids of the Cardas is more dimensional and warm and fuller in presentation. Now that I think about it. That right there makes the Cardas stand out to me more than anything on the sound presentation.. It is like a highly evolved FXZ in sound..

It is a lot of scratch to throw out for a unique set of in ears.. I think the Cardas are more for guys that add to their collections of fine in ears more than anything.

Oct 27, 2013 at 3:40 PM Post #15,942 of 99,912
That is a great way of putting it. I think if the Cardas sounded like another audiophile neutralized in ears they wouldn't be as unique in sound. But as they are I have grown immensely fond of them. When I first got them I didn't think they were worth the money spent.. That has changed completely with more burn in and listening.

For the guys that own these. Put them back on the burn in. I am willing to bet you guys. You need at least another months worth. Lol. That cord alone probably needs 200 hours.  You have everything to gain from a long burn in with these. I now feel they are starting to actually sound like they were intended and also feel they will get even better with more burn in.

The pair I have is 100X better sounding than the demo they had at the Cardas table at CanJam by the way. I don't think those they had at the show was amply burned in.

Finally! Someone is hearing the Cardas like myself, DannyBai, Carlsan, and few others. And an opinion I really trust. Glad you get them Dsnuts.

Oct 27, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #15,943 of 99,912
See now this is the shame of it. I am a poor non working student. I can't afford no $425 iems. But with the current lameness that is happening on the Sony XBA-H3 front. I now find myself wanting a pair for me. Lol.

Vocals. On the Cardas. Oh man.

Oct 27, 2013 at 3:49 PM Post #15,944 of 99,912
  The problem with the FXZs is they have a sound cap to their sound stage even though those have a big sound too and while amping helps in this regard.. The cardas on the other hand don't sound like they have a sound cap. The stage is immense for earphones. Probably one of the biggest and largest scale of sound I have ever heard in any earphones. The Mids of the Cardas takes time for them to sound like the pair I have.. While there is sweetness to the ES700s mids. The mids of the Cardas is more dimensional and warm and fuller in presentation. Now that I think about it. That right there makes the Cardas stand out to me more than anything on the sound presentation.. It is like a highly evolved FXZ in sound..

It is a lot of scratch to throw out for a unique set of in ears.. I think the Cardas are more for guys that add to their collections of fine in ears more than anything.

^ Indeed that is A LOT of cabbage for an iem. But man just imagine one of these highly evolved critters in your ears!!! 
eek.gif

... ears are gonna bleed from eargasmic_ness!!! 
triportsad.gif

Quote:
Finally! Someone is hearing the Cardas like myself, DannyBai, Carlsan, and few others. And an opinion I really trust. Glad you get them Dsnuts.

^ HE HE HE maybe you can hook me up with your set ericp so i can further confirm what you are hearing.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Don't you want Da' Masta'..... troll's seal of approval. hoho
tongue.gif

Oct 27, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #15,945 of 99,912
See now this is the shame of it. I am a poor non working student. I can't afford no $425 iems. But with the current lameness that is happening on the Sony XBA-H3 front. I now find myself wanting a pair for me. Lol.

Vocals. On the Cardas. Oh man.

:beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back