The discovery thread!
Oct 24, 2013 at 6:52 AM Post #15,767 of 103,109
I see them at the old $60 price as well, still a great deal imo (curious what others think)

Oct 24, 2013 at 9:03 AM Post #15,768 of 103,109
If I can get a barely used pair of Focal Spirit Ones for $50 USD do you guys think it would be a good bet, coming from V-moda M80s.

Oct 24, 2013 at 10:33 AM Post #15,769 of 103,109
If I can get a barely used pair of Focal Spirit Ones for $50 USD do you guys think it would be a good bet, coming from V-moda M80s.

Woah that is an amazing price! I want in on that deal
biggrin.gif
 The Focals would be more neutral than the M80s though.

Oct 24, 2013 at 10:39 AM Post #15,770 of 103,109

Woah that is an amazing price! I want in on that deal :D  The Focals would be more neutral than the M80s though.

Father got a pair and figured I'd want them. He just wanted 1-Day Shipping Fees and a steak dinner. Look's like I'll be buying these. They should match my Gratitude's really well.

Oct 24, 2013 at 11:31 AM Post #15,771 of 103,109
I like the sound of the XBA-H1s but they don't work very well on my phone due to them being 40Ω. Bit of a bummer to be honest since I don't want to be carrying a portable amp around with my phone, my pockets are already full enough during the day.

Oct 24, 2013 at 11:46 AM Post #15,772 of 103,109
to judge the Sony XBA H1 without substantial burn in is really wrong.  My CKS 1000 sounded terrible out of the box, but after 200 hours of burn in they were pleasant.  after 400 hours of burn in they were TROPHY MONSTERS, a totally unique soundstage, controlled bass and pleasant midrange.an audio treasure.  those who don't believe in burn in and are discouraging people from exploring a mature product after burn in are not
doing a favor to anyone by dissing them.  If you aren't willing to burn high tech headphones in substantially, you should defer to reviews in which burn-in was done.  Their is substantial evidence from listeners in this forum that burn in is real and makes a potentially huge difference in the potential sq of a device. Of course if wish to steer everyone away from a product and say you are disappointed with a product out of the box you
have that right, but its really not a fair shake to the product.  some phones won't become gems from burn in and some will.
"some they do and some they don't, and some you just can't tell,  some they will and some they won't, and some its just as well"--breakfast in america, by supertramp.  

Oct 24, 2013 at 11:50 AM Post #15,773 of 103,109
drbluenewmexico you're opening up a new/old can of worms. It's useless. People on this website are either for burn-in or against it. And there's very little middle ground. I mean they will fight to the death regarding their opinions on burn-in (which I believe in of course). Don't get them started. lol

Oct 24, 2013 at 12:01 PM Post #15,774 of 103,109
  drbluenewmexico you're opening up a new/old can of worms. It's useless. People on this website are either for burn-in or against it. And there's very little middle ground. I mean they will fight to the death regarding their opinions on burn-in (which I believe in of course). Don't get them started. lol

All right you have my curiosity aroused. What would be the middle ground between burn in and no burn in?
biggrin.gif

Oct 24, 2013 at 12:04 PM Post #15,775 of 103,109

All right you have my curiosity aroused. What would be the middle ground between burn in and no burn in?
biggrin.gif

Not going there. 
beerchug.gif

deadhorse.gif

Oct 24, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #15,777 of 103,109

LOL Too late - I'm pretty drunk and ready for a deathmatch. 

biggrin.gif

It's the golden mean - sometimes burn-in works and sometimes it doesn't.  IMO it depends on the product you're burning in. Here on head-fi some people will tell you that only the cable breaks in and that might lower its resistance. Other will claim that ridiculous 200+ hours of burn-in make a huge difference. A lot of people will tell you BA drivers don't change after burn-in (my experience with BA iems makes me agree with them). 
Overall, I let people believe what they want coz even when it's placebo most of the time - as long as they are happy with the "results" why no just let them enjoy these "huge improvements" in the sound. IMO burn-in works but even if it does it's never to the extent the pro burn-in crowd claims. It's usually very mild changes that happen mostly within the first 20-30 hours. 

Oct 24, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #15,778 of 103,109
sorry to open up a can of worms, but dissing a highly engineered product right out of the box
seems like putting a worm back in the can to me!  but i will let it go and continue to burn
in my new phones and cables as needed and enjoy the results.  I'm an expert on placebo
responses and burn in is not a placebo response for most oems and cables.  its like opening a
fine bottle of wine and tasting it without airing the wine properly....and condemning it as
a poor vintage.  time to move on
to more rumors and emotional responses to new products then....ho.

Oct 24, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #15,779 of 103,109
Just to elaborate, I'm not for or against burn-in, I simply stated that they sounded worse on my phone than on my PC with a sound card after the same amount of listening. 

Basically, they sound better amped than unamped. Think you got the wrong end of the stick..

Oct 24, 2013 at 1:42 PM Post #15,780 of 103,109

LOL Too late - I'm pretty drunk and ready for a deathmatch. 
It's the golden mean - sometimes burn-in works and sometimes it doesn't.  IMO it depends on the product you're burning in. Here on head-fi some people will tell you that only the cable breaks in and that might lower its resistance. Other will claim that ridiculous 200+ hours of burn-in make a huge difference. A lot of people will tell you BA drivers don't change after burn-in (my experience with BA iems makes me agree with them). 
Overall, I let people believe what they want coz even when it's placebo most of the time - as long as they are happy with the "results" why no just let them enjoy these "huge improvements" in the sound. IMO burn-in works but even if it does it's never to the extent the pro burn-in crowd claims. It's usually very mild changes that happen mostly within the first 20-30 hours. 

AGREED OVA' 900000000000000000000000000!!!

It all depends on the tech/ material employed. If it is a cheapo turd without much fancy tech behind, a polished/ burnt turd is still a turd.
tongue.gif

1. [img]http://cdn.head-fi.org/7/7e/100x100px-LS-7e855721_Unknown-1.jpeg[/img]
  1. drbluenewmexico
  2. badge_100.v1509773630.png

sorry to open up a can of worms, but dissing a highly engineered product right out of the box
seems like putting a worm back in the can to me!  but i will let it go and continue to burn
in my new phones and cables as needed and enjoy the results.  I'm an expert on placebo
responses and burn in is not a placebo response for most oems and cables.  its like opening a
fine bottle of wine and tasting it without airing the wine properly....and condemning it as
a poor vintage.  time to move on
to more rumors and emotional responses to new products then....ho.

^ Good points mexico dood, i guess i am kinda in the middle ground regarding burn-in. It's all relative i guess.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back