Quote:
so @veryron, I got a reply from Shigzeo on twitter:

So no free lunch!

Damn 
frown.gif

Jun 13, 2013 at 6:40 AM Post #14,118 of 21,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_recording 

They are related, but you can have anappetite without being hungry... for instance when you are really full after Mains but the idea of desert still appeals. :3

Whaqt about hungry/thirsty..???

Jun 13, 2013 at 7:03 AM Post #14,121 of 21,761
Quote:
Anyone else here explore their diet (food-drink-sleep-lifestyle) to their ability/inability to critical listening?
popcorn.gif

Yes. If and when modding or developing any piece of audio equipment, setting up microfones for the recording, setting up turntables - ETC - there is a limit how much time I can rely on the impression(s). After too much exposure to sound, either live or reproduced, things become ever more blurry and unreliable. An empty stomach will find that fact much more relevant than minute and not so minute audio differences - the same goes for the opposite scenario.

Critical listening and intense sport like cycling clash. If I do say 50 or 100 miles on bike at anything more than leisure tempo, my body does not "find" small audible differences as relevant as in "neutral" condition. Furthermore, it is damn possible to get slight "cold in the ears" on bike - therefore I started avoiding bike a day or two at least prior to some important recording. On the other hand - after a good workout en plaine air one usually feels better and more alert etc - resulting in better ability to listen closely. Decisions, decisions...

An interesting observation regarding alcohol. We had recording of a choir scheduled in a church well in advance - end of November. BEAUTIFUL SUNNY DAY - not something one would expect at that time of the year. We arrived at 10:00 AM as planned - only to find they decided to take advantage of superb weather and repair the church roof, with some 6-7 workers banging like crazy atop of that roof ! It took all the nogotiating skills to 
allow us to start recording at 3:00 PM - by that time repairs and all that banging were supposed to be finished. Somehow, we had to kill those 5 hours.
One of the singers had a birthday on that very day and had prepared some snacks and some adult beverages, meant to be "destroyed" after the completion of the scheduled recording. Well, what better way to kill the time than to take care of premature demise of that food and drink ! 

Sure, we all had a ball recording "fortified" to far above average level, which is to say 00 alco on any other ocassion I can remember. After about half an hour, I began noticing that singing is not ...ahmmm... QUITE as good as it should have been - specially not for something meant to eventually land on issued CD. To cut the long story short - it took about two hours to get back to normal concentration etc required to record properly.

So - yes, everything you mentioned does affect one's ability to listen critically. And stress - if you are under pressure for whatever reason, EVERYTHING will sound bad - on a really good excellent day/feeling, EVERYTHING, even total crap might pass as adequate. 

So, employ Personal Currawong whenever you really need to listen critically - like auditioning new equipment, buying recordings, deciding on the final form of the rocording you will let out in the world - according to your own observation of your own (cap)abilities.

Jun 13, 2013 at 7:19 AM Post #14,122 of 21,761
Quote:
So, employ Personal Currawong whenever you really need to listen critically - like auditioning new equipment, buying recordings, deciding on the final form of the rocording you will let out in the world - according to your own observation of your own (cap)abilities.

My own personal Currawong, who sits perched on my shoulder, watching....

Jun 13, 2013 at 7:25 AM Post #14,123 of 21,761
Holy crap... I had forgotten just how awesome Kayo Dot is.

"Don't Touch Dead Animals"

This track was taken from a split with Bloody Panda, and both bands here present this incredibly abstract take on doom metal. Jazz doom? Dead animal ghost doom?

Love how the track has so much going on, this voodoo wake beat subtly nestled in the background, all sorts of voices from the great beyond. It builds with strings into this wall of nervous breakdowns, and then it erupts in the middle into this absolutely amazing invocation, like some kind of ritual bukake ceremony performed by occult wizards.

Toward the end after some more poetry about playing vinyl records (!!!) it gets all thrashy.

So many feels. <3

Jun 13, 2013 at 8:00 AM Post #14,124 of 21,761
Quote:
I've been reading up on it and the more I read the more scarred I get to consume soy anymore.... Supposedly any soy that is unfermented is bad for you (Tofu, Soy milk etc). But isn't soy a pretty substantial part of the Asian cultures diet? I may end up just buying more coconut milk instead lol. Will look into goats milk as well :p

I'm not a doctor or a scientist, but I really have my doubts that a product consumed by Asian cultures for many, many centuries (or perhaps millennia) would have detrimental effects that have thus far escaped detection. On the contrary health scientists are trying to work out why the Japanese have comparatively lower rates of cancer despite higher rates of smoking. Every single media article I have read about the issue is a horribly, grossly simplified understanding of the published studies that exist - and the studies are already horribly contradictory.

The phytoestrogens in soy definitely appear to have some kind of endocrine effect but there is no consensus to support the idea that they are harmful in any real way at normal consumption levels. It's especially evident that soy does not have the same kind of harmful effects that the seriously bad stuff we actually have to worry about - the xenoestrogens we consume from pesticides and other chemicals.

A lot of what we consume actually has an endocrine effect. Milk, for example, seems to have an effect on testosterone levels! 

I think the tendency is for people to think of testosterone as the 'male hormone' and estrogen as the 'female hormone' and we want to avoid one or another and that's really a simplistic understanding of how hormones actually work, since men and women have levels of both hormones in the body that regulate proper function of various processes. The body actually does all sorts of neat things on its own, via conversion of testosterone to estrogen and DHT, so by increasing or decreasing the activity of one hormone you tend to effect the activity of the others in sometimes unpredictable ways.

For instance, administration of testosterone in men seem to reduce levels of visceral (belly) fat levels, but increase visceral fat in women. 

Sometimes you hear that bald men have more testosterone. From what I understand, DHT is a derivative of testosterone produced by the body that causes body hair growth. Males produce more DHT from puberty onwards and DHT seems to be responsible for a lot of male secondary sexual characteristics. But DHT it also is what seems to cause male pattern baldness! The drugs that they prescribe for baldness by blocking the conversion of testosterone to DHT actually increase levels of free testosterone (since it isn't being converted into DHT) but the body might respond by converting the excess testosterone into estrogen. (Which is why some people suggest these baldness drugs cause things like depression or breast growth). 

Alcohol seems to have the effect of blocking DHT activity but not testosterone which is why it seems to reduce the ability to 'perform' despite not supressing the actual sex drive itself. (Tell me when was the last time anyone reported that soy milk had a similar effect). 

I find this stuff endlessly fascinating because the endocrine system is the biological basis of binary sexual characteristics, but you can see many different effects in people when the endocrine system has been modified - transgender folk, bodybuilders, heavy drinkers, people on AIDS retrovirals.

You really don't see those kinds of effects in people who drink soy milk in normal levels. If anything the general thrust of evidence is that soy is good for you. :p

Quote:
Whaqt about hungry/thirsty..???

Rant:

I hate those ads so much. They make me angry every time they come on TV / in the cinema. Firstly, they seem to be one of those flaccid attempts to tap into the whole 'viral / disruptive marketing' thing by hoping that non-sequiturs are the magic formula for Facebook likes. The second thing is the attempt to tie chocolate milk into this image of male machismo without really being thoughtful or ironic about it. IT'S CHOCOLATE MILK. Yes, oak is very very rich but I don't think "Wow this chocolate milk is thick and flavoursome - LIKE A MAN" when I drink it. I'm especially annoyed with the insinuation in the second ad (the carnival one) that the narrator's son is a crossdresser because he failed to drink enough chocolate milk as a child. It's a facile and cheap laugh.

Next they will start to market the strawberry milk flavour to girls.

Compare it with the old spice commerical, which actually did go viral, and was actually smart about playing with this kind of thing:

Jun 13, 2013 at 8:03 AM Post #14,125 of 21,761
@a-recording I hope you are right because I don't want to stop drinking soy milk lol. I really enjoy the taste. I do know that moderation is key though and I don't see that as an issue for me... :3

Jun 13, 2013 at 8:03 AM Post #14,126 of 21,761
Quote:
Holy crap... I had forgotten just how awesome Kayo Dot is.

"Don't Touch Dead Animals"

This track was taken from a split with Bloody Panda, and both bands here present this incredibly abstract take on doom metal. Jazz doom? Dead animal ghost doom?

Love how the track has so much going on, this voodoo wake beat subtly nestled in the background, all sorts of voices from the great beyond. It builds with strings into this wall of nervous breakdowns, and then it erupts in the middle into this absolutely amazing invocation, like some kind of ritual bukake ceremony performed by occult wizards.

Toward the end after some more poetry about playing vinyl records (!!!) it gets all thrashy.

So many feels. <3

I will need to listen to this with a good source and good iems.

Jun 13, 2013 at 8:15 AM Post #14,128 of 21,761
Yeah I've read that. Also it's not a good idea to give it to young children. Something to do with a chemical that acts like a fake estrogen. Thus for the reason of drinking it in moderation. Especially for males. But if you overindulge in anything these days it won't be pretty. Well maybe besides water lol (unless you get inebriated :wink:.

Jun 13, 2013 at 8:20 AM Post #14,130 of 21,761
On soy I discovered something (since my wife is expecting). You are supposed to avoid it while pregnant because it tends to favor the development of hermaphrodite characters. True...my best friend's wife is a twice pregant gynaecologist and confirmed it...weird isn't it...soy blurs genders.

This info is conflicting too long and too hard in my mind...

This is troubling............

Users who are viewing this thread

Back