The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
May 16, 2013 at 12:04 AM Post #12,136 of 21,761
Quote:
... The lady at the post office had to black out the shipping label lol. I taped up the box before thinkin I should have removed the label :l

I've definitely done that before.  I always feel a little bad, but they don't seem to be too put out.

In other news, I've got an appointment with an audiologist in the morning.  I've never had my impressions taken before, so wish me luck.

May 16, 2013 at 12:07 AM Post #12,137 of 21,761
Quote:
Dammit, just when I thought I was starting to fit in...

Never fit in - fit ears. 

Yup, I can imagine some of the responses she'd get too... "Um thanks, but I don't think you understand what I want.  I asked for in ears, not out of head."  Annnnddd... facepalm.

I think I'd cry of joy.

The JATPS part.  I mean, I know what it stands for and all... but I don't know what that thing is.  Or why it's important.  Or is it?

My unbridled hatred for Jazz At The Pawnshop? Apparently my comment for that was extremely reputable so might want to backtrack to that.

May 16, 2013 at 12:08 AM Post #12,138 of 21,761
Quote:
... The lady at the post office had to black out the shipping label lol. I taped up the box before thinkin I should have removed the label :l
LMAO, actually the address is on the other side of the box. I'm guessing Idsychrono made a mistake addressing the package and had to black it out and redo it on the other side of the box.

Ohhhh... I thought you did it for the pic. 
redface.gif
  Which was kind of confusing because I didn't understand why you wanted to take a picture of the box.

Quote:
In other news, I've got an appointment with an audiologist in the morning.  I've never had my impressions taken before, so wish me luck.

Make sure to tell them "if you touch my ear drum I'm going to KICK YOUR ASS!  Nothing personal, just a reflex."

And good luck! 
smile.gif

May 16, 2013 at 12:13 AM Post #12,139 of 21,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenpchi /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Okay, so I'm not being all lazy and apathetic then?

Hardly! No time for useless interruptions, no no. You're simply living in the moment, intimately involved in the familiar. 
thumbsup.gif

May 16, 2013 at 12:14 AM Post #12,140 of 21,761
Quote:
LMAO, actually the address is on the other side of the box. I'm guessing Idsychrono made a mistake addressing the package and had to black it out and redo it on the other side of the box.

I generally cover up old labels with the new shipping label (I usually print the labels opposed to my chicken scratch :wink:. I also was recommended to not put the phone number next to the shipping address. But to put it on another side of the package as this will cause delays on your shipment getting to its locations. Basically the lady said the phone number will cause errors in the automated machines and thus it will get held back...

May 16, 2013 at 1:14 AM Post #12,141 of 21,761
Alright, I'm back with more SM64 shenanigans. I was playing around with some tip rolling and discovered a few interesting things. A lot of people on the SM64 have commented this IEM's housing looks like a W4 clone. It may look like a clone but it sure as heck doesn't fit like a W4 housing. The tips on these IEM's are all useless to me with the exception of one pair of long deep seating Comply's. On my W4's I have a pair of medium T-400 Comply's. I use the shallower fitting T-400 on the W4's to bring out the highs more and try and give it a slightly more balanced sig. The T-400's tips fit quite nicely on the SM64 bore but no matter how hard I try I cannot get a seal while with the W4 I get a nice fit and seal. The outside housing of the SM64 may look like the W4 but the inside (the part that seats against your ear) is very different. It's completely flat while the W4 isn't. Because of this I'm guessing it's interfering with the fit of the SM64 and making it a lot harder to get a proper seal. I wanted to try and use the same tips on these two IEM's so as to level the playing field and see how they scored against one another. The bass on the SM64 is more prominent to my ears then on the W4 so I was wondering if a more shallow fit might push back the bass a tad and bring up the treble(hopefully not to much). I don't know, maybe I should order a few sets of T-400's in large size and see if that works for me? It would be nice to maybe push that bass back a couple of steps.

Since I bought the W4 into the discussion, based only only a short A/B listening session it's no contest, the SM64 owns the W4. The W4 treble energy isn't even close to the SM64 and it extends and has tons of detail while the W4 sound like a tizzy recessed mess. Mids, albeit more forward, the W4 mids sound veiled and jumbled next to the SM64. Bass, SM64 extends deeper has more texture and hits harder and tons of reverb while the W4 has no reverb. Soundstage, SM64 easily has more air between the instruments and sounds far wider. I'm surprised how far ahead the SM64 excelled over the W4, what a slaughter.

May 16, 2013 at 3:00 AM Post #12,142 of 21,761
Quote:
Welp, I got my K550 video up:

If only the K550 sounded like how I would like it to sound; then it would be a prize jewel in my collection. :p

Nice review again a_recording.

May 16, 2013 at 7:41 AM Post #12,143 of 21,761
Quote:
Can someone please explain to me how two sources which at a glance are ruler flat and measure well can sound markedly different?
Please.

Most of the problem I think is that people try to place limits on what matters, absolute thresholds, blanket statements etc.  If you are looking at two specific pieces of equipment, to be used with specific headphones it becomes much easier to compare on a technical level.  At this point in my journey I find it most useful to use a combination of measurements and subjective listening, measurements are useful to make sense of what is being heard and subjective listening to decide whether the differences in equipment are for better or worse or non-existent.  Personally I tend to prefer listening first, don't let other people tell you what you can or cannot hear - listen for yourself then decide.
Quote:
Because there is more to sound than just measurements alone. Things in audio that I feel we cannot measure.

I agree, which is why I think it is important to test things out even if they seem ridiculous, just as long as they don't cost money...
Quote:
Your own negativity may be your own placebo :wink:.

Expectation bias cuts both ways.  On the other hand I respect people who don't buy into differences because they have done first hand comparisons and actually found zero difference.  More power to them.
Quote:
And sometimes expectation bias. 

Very best,

True, just be careful about putting everything that one can't explain down to some sort of anomaly.  I know a professor who did a back of envelope calculation for the collapse time of the World Trade Center and therefore things there is some kind of conspiracy going on.  
Quote:

Design. Materials. Configuration.

At this point I'm of the "everything matters" school of audiophillia.  I just don't try not to buy a whole lot of tweaks because most of them are overpriced, and the results are unreliable or even unpredictable.  i still say "just listen to it" is the best philosopy   EDIT: I'ma leave that that part out as it kind of missed the point.  I guess what I meant to say is that it's hard to discuss what exactly measurements miss when we aren't discussing anything in particular...
Quote:
Alright, I'm back with more SM64 shenanigans. I was playing around with some tip rolling and discovered a few interesting things. A lot of people on the SM64 have commented this IEM's housing looks like a W4 clone. It may look like a clone but it sure as heck doesn't fit like a W4 housing. The tips on these IEM's are all useless to me with the exception of one pair of long deep seating Comply's. On my W4's I have a pair of medium T-400 Comply's. I use the shallower fitting T-400 on the W4's to bring out the highs more and try and give it a slightly more balanced sig. The T-400's tips fit quite nicely on the SM64 bore but no matter how hard I try I cannot get a seal while with the W4 I get a nice fit and seal. The outside housing of the SM64 may look like the W4 but the inside (the part that seats against your ear) is very different. It's completely flat while the W4 isn't. Because of this I'm guessing it's interfering with the fit of the SM64 and making it a lot harder to get a proper seal. I wanted to try and use the same tips on these two IEM's so as to level the playing field and see how they scored against one another. The bass on the SM64 is more prominent to my ears then on the W4 so I was wondering if a more shallow fit might push back the bass a tad and bring up the treble(hopefully not to much). I don't know, maybe I should order a few sets of T-400's in large size and see if that works for me? It would be nice to maybe push that bass back a couple of steps.

Since I bought the W4 into the discussion, based only only a short A/B listening session it's no contest, the SM64 owns the W4. The W4 treble energy isn't even close to the SM64 and it extends and has tons of detail while the W4 sound like a tizzy recessed mess. Mids, albeit more forward, the W4 mids sound veiled and jumbled next to the SM64. Bass, SM64 extends deeper has more texture and hits harder and tons of reverb while the W4 has no reverb. Soundstage, SM64 easily has more air between the instruments and sounds far wider. I'm surprised how far ahead the SM64 excelled over the W4, what a slaughter.

Sounds like you approve 
biggrin.gif
  By the way is this the first or second revision?

May 16, 2013 at 9:16 AM Post #12,147 of 21,761
Quote:
My ASG-2 is finally on the way! It was overnighted to me, so I'll have it by 3 this afternoon.

The Flat-4 package from James is coming this afternoon as well. Expect a menage a trois later on!

Sounds sweet.  Look forward to reading your impressions.
Quote:
Second revision

Cool.  I really want the SM64 to be good, also I have a W4 so your impressions are greatly appreciated!

May 16, 2013 at 9:33 AM Post #12,148 of 21,761
My ASG-2 is finally on the way! It was overnighted to me, so I'll have it by 3 this afternoon.

The Flat-4 package from James is coming this afternoon as well. Expect a menage a trois later on!

Edit: with the Senn IE800 as well.

Damn! So jelly. I'm gonna send off my G-1 Saturday probably. Did you just buy the G-2 outright?

May 16, 2013 at 10:07 AM Post #12,149 of 21,761
Quote:
Damn! So jelly. I'm gonna send off my G-1 Saturday probably. Did you just buy the G-2 outright?

Nope, I sent mine in a few months ago for a...

chaaange into digital champion, toooo save the digital world.

Sorry, been nostalgically watching DBZ and digimon all morning.

May 16, 2013 at 10:37 AM Post #12,150 of 21,761
Nope, I sent mine in a few months ago for a...

chaaange into digital champion, toooo save the digital world.

Sorry, been nostalgically watching DBZ and digimon all morning.

Damn, several months ago? Talk about gettin ahead of the pack. I'm expecting a lot out of them after readin JpMilner and GnarlSagan's impressions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back