The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
May 3, 2013 at 7:53 AM Post #10,981 of 21,761
Wow, that was fast! And oh yeah, gotta PM Currawong for them. :)

May 3, 2013 at 7:57 AM Post #10,982 of 21,761
Quote:warrenforrabbits
I would think that (a) as long as everything else is exactly the same, and (b) for as long as you're the only one aware that you are different; then it's simply a case of mind over matter.  In other words, if you don't mind, it don't matter.

In essence you would still have to be unique even if you are an exact copy..
The difference between logical absurdities and reality is in their definitions.

May 3, 2013 at 8:29 AM Post #10,984 of 21,761
In more Bioshock Infinite inews, I was shocked to discover that Jennifer Hale voices Rosalind Lutece. Then I'm not great at recognising her voice unless it's the Shepard or the Bastilla Shan voices.

Daisy Fitzroy is also voiced by the same VA as Ashley Williams.

May 3, 2013 at 8:55 AM Post #10,985 of 21,761
Has anyone heard of the Tzar 350? I believe Muppetface said it was sibilant and harsh (on some tracks?) but I wonder if it has technical problems like the 4Ai/3Ai. The idea of an easy-fitting ER4S has been plaguing me for the past week. 

May 3, 2013 at 9:20 AM Post #10,986 of 21,761
Quote:
Has anyone heard of the Tzar 350? I believe Muppetface said it was sibilant and harsh (on some tracks?) but I wonder if it has technical problems like the 4Ai/3Ai. The idea of an easy-fitting ER4S has been plaguing me for the past week. 

I heard it last week, while I quite liked it, I do agree with MF that it was rather treble happy and  could get unpleasant and fatiguing with certain material. Bowei has a full comparison of the Heir universal range(sans the 5.0) here.

May 3, 2013 at 9:30 AM Post #10,987 of 21,761
Quote:
On a completely different topic, would anyone here say that a Sony XBA-1 is worth $30?  I've already got two single BAs, a Fischer Audio SBA-01 and a Mee A151.  I'm also listening to my UE700 almost daily.  And of course, I could always apply that $30 towards the Flat4 or a decent audition with the RE-400.  But here's the thing, I'm a sucker for cheap deals.  Should I just let the XBA-01 pass, or jump on it?

I think the XBA-1 for $30 makes for a comfortable and nice backup earphone, but only get it if you are super curious about the sound, otherwise they will probably spend life unused like my pair. If I had a spare $30 I would put it towards an RE-400 no question. Someone I know ordered an XBA-10 though so I'm curious how they compare.

Edit: By backup pair I mean that I literally stow spare headphones away in various places in case I forget to bring a pair out for the day.

Also, I uploaded a CKN70 review! :3

May 3, 2013 at 9:33 AM Post #10,988 of 21,761
Quote:

Because it would take a lot longer to get either of those, and a little bit of immediate gratification keeps the crazy away.  Plus, as I recall, Mupps didn't exactly give ringing endorsements of those, though she did mention them once or twice.

IIRC, the JH13 has a place on your list Mupps, but nothing particualrly mind-blowing right?  And your recent exploits with the JH16 don't exactly make them sound terribly perfect (as least in terms of build).

I haven't heard the JH13Pro, but I do own the JH16Pro. It actually sounds very good with a bit of high end emphasis giving it a more over sense of detail. Not sure it has all that much air, though it has a lively presentation. Bass is pretty significantly boosted, which to my understanding is the biggest difference with the JH13Pro (less bass emphasis). While it definitely packs a ton of bass, it thankfully manages to keep from flopping all over the place for the most part. Imaging is spot on and the sense of space is really well defined, what I presume to be an effect of their "Freq-Phase."

Build quality is mediocre at best. The tips of the stems in particular are rough and have pockmarks. The cables are also really difficult to insert and remove, and they don't sit flush with the sockets, always sticking out partially.

The biggest issue I have is with the JH-3A amp. Based on my experience with the unit I was sent, I have to say it's essentially a failure. Which is a shame because the JH16Pro does sound marginally better when paired with it.

Quote:

What do you mean by technical problems, exactly? I recall that the US tour unit of the 4Ai had some funky channel imbalance. Others have said things like "the crossover is flawed," but I'm not so sure that's the a reasonable conclusion. Mostly just curious if there's something else I hadn't heard about.

The Tzar 350 is one of the most hyper-revealing earphones I've ever encountered. It's also one of the most sibilant. Pretty much anything setting that region off will be potentially problematic. It's definitely a "listen mostly to mid-centric audiophile recordings" kind of thing in my opinion. That, or a diagnostic tool. Or a torture device.

If you're looking for an ER4S with a more forgiving fit, you might want to consider the FitEar F111. It's similar to the Etys in some respects, though it's a bit more refined and, compared to the Heirs, a more balanced listen.

At this point, my customs stable (this term is kind of cheesy; I think I'll use "bordello" instead) consists of the JH16Pro, MH335DW, and forthcoming C435.

The Aurisonics AS-2 with gold faceplates is my primary consideration at the moment when it comes to additions to the bordello. I'm also considering the SE5 once again, though as I said before, my overly straight and narrow ear canals might make acquiring them problematic. I suppose I'll send them photos just to get an initial assessment of the feasibility.

May 3, 2013 at 9:49 AM Post #10,989 of 21,761
This morning I'm listening to my vintage Fostex T10 out of the LG.

<3

These vintage orthos really sound amazing, even without extensive modifications. Looking at my collection of stuff from the 70s and 80s---Fostex T10 and T20, Yamaha YH-1000, Koss ESP/10, Stax Sigma Pro, Grado HP1000---it's pretty obvious to me we haven't come a very long with in the realm of full-sized headphones.

I'd like to find more vintage orthos like the Fostex T50 v.1 and perhaps some Soviet-era stuff. Also I've been meaning to get more normal bias Stax like the SR-X at some point.

May 3, 2013 at 10:12 AM Post #10,990 of 21,761
Schiit is now doing upgrades of their Bifrost dac: http://schiit.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=19
If I didn't already have a Gungnir, I would be all over this. The Bifrost is a damn good little dac.

In other news, I may be acquiring a 300 H&H magnum later today. If I'm lucky, that is....

May 3, 2013 at 10:28 AM Post #10,991 of 21,761
Quote:
Schiit is now doing upgrades of their Bifrost dac: http://schiit.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=19
If I didn't already have a Gungnir, I would be all over this. The Bifrost is a damn good little dac.

In other news, I may be acquiring a 300 H&H magnum later today. If I'm lucky, that is....

My boards for the upgrades arrived yesterday.  I plan on installing them over the weekend. 

In other news, I just preordered the UM 3DD.  We'll see what happens with that...

May 3, 2013 at 10:41 AM Post #10,992 of 21,761
@arecording excellent video, very professional.

May 3, 2013 at 10:42 AM Post #10,993 of 21,761
Quote:

What do you mean by technical problems, exactly? I recall that the US tour unit of the 4Ai had some funky channel imbalance. Others have said things like "the crossover is flawed," but I'm not so sure that's the a reasonable conclusion. Mostly just curious if there's something else I hadn't heard about.

The Tzar 350 is one of the most hyper-revealing earphones I've ever encountered. It's also one of the most sibilant. Pretty much anything setting that region off will be potentially problematic. It's definitely a "listen mostly to mid-centric audiophile recordings" kind of thing in my opinion. That, or a diagnostic tool. Or a torture device.

If you're looking for an ER4S with a more forgiving fit, you might want to consider the FitEar F111. It's similar to the Etys in some respects, though it's a bit more refined and, compared to the Heirs, a more balanced listen.

Yes I do mean the channel imbalance, it's quite weird to find them on pairs sent out on the loan tour. The crossover issue is a bit controversial actually, but Heir responded and said it was part of the design (which is still debatable). I personally see the dip to be there by design based on Heir's response. Some people say it led to the "disjointed" sound, while others say they can't hear it or sound like they are unaware of it.

I have been considering the F111. It's still the best universal I've ever heard. It's just that the cost is still too high for me, at around 200 USD more than the Tzar. I was hoping that the Tzar would give a similar performance for much less, and the F111's cable was too springy for my liking the last time I tried it.

As for the treble, I am not exactly sure how sensitive I am. I like the extremely dark ASG-1.2s. I barely notice the peaks on the GR07, while the DBA-02 mk1 was too bright for me. However, I didn't find the ER4P/S to be a sibilant/bright as the DBA-02mk1 when I tried it. I assume it would be a fit issue, but a shallow insertion (as I assume I had) with the ER4P/S would lead to a peaky-er response. 

I guess I would have to find time to demo the Tzar, at this price and reputed sound no one should take a risk. Thanks for the help guys.

May 3, 2013 at 10:57 AM Post #10,994 of 21,761
Quote:
As for the treble, I am not exactly sure how sensitive I am. I like the extremely dark ASG-1.2s. I barely notice the peaks on the GR07, while the DBA-02 mk1 was too bright for me. However, I didn't find the ER4P/S to be a sibilant/bright as the DBA-02mk1 when I tried it. I assume it would be a fit issue, but a shallow insertion (as I assume I had) with the ER4P/S would lead to a peaky-er response. 

Let's just say that tomscy2000, a guy who likes brighter signatures and can tolerate a lot of sibilance, found the Tzar 340 to be too sibilant for general use. Among all the IEMs I've tried over the years, it's definitely up there in the ranks of hard treble. I think Lee730's head would explode if he listened to them.

I remember seeing some posts in the Tzar thread about the 350 being neutral. Um... no.

May 3, 2013 at 12:36 PM Post #10,995 of 21,761
Quote:

Let's just say that tomscy2000, a guy who likes brighter signatures and can tolerate a lot of sibilance, found the Tzar 340 to be too sibilant for general use. Among all the IEMs I've tried over the years, it's definitely up there in the ranks of hard treble. I think Lee730's head would explode if he listened to them.

I remember seeing some posts in the Tzar thread about the 350 being neutral. Um... no.

Is it brighter than the Sui? If so my head probably would lol. I think that is my threshold for treble presence and I'm using them with silicone opposed to complys (couldn't get a seal with large complys).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back