The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Sep 22, 2012 at 7:58 AM Post #1,021 of 21,761

Sep 22, 2012 at 8:30 AM Post #1,022 of 21,761
Quote:
Well I don't have any iPhone 4S near me at all (none of my friends took the iP4 to 4S upgrade) so how do you think the 4 compare screen-wise? Or is the 4S and 4 the same in that regard?

To the 4S, or to the 5?

Well the 4 and 4S share exactly the same screen. Compared to the 5, they just look 'crisper' though after awhile, the colors look washed out versus the 5. My girlfriend took a picture of her house as her background, and is using it on both phones. On the 4, the grass just looks like paste compared to the richer greener one grass on the 5.

It's still going to take some getting used to...

Sep 22, 2012 at 8:31 AM Post #1,023 of 21,761
Quote:
It's a totally unfounded assumption. In lieu of evidence is a claim based on a single teardown by somebody who assumes it's an auth chip purely because he didn't recognize it.

The Thunderbolt connector is also chipped, but it's a multiplexer. After all, with nine pins at the Lightning end and four pins + shield at the USB end, it would make sense to put some logic in the connector, too. You can't simply run a wire from one pin to a totally different pin and expect things to work, the way you can with most analog and some simple digital connectors.

I trust AppleInsider only less than I trust Weekly World News.

It's not about trusting Appleinsider, it's Peter of DHC that did the tear down and speculation.  There's a thread in the cable forum about his tear down with more pics.  But I agree, we don't know what it does.

Sep 22, 2012 at 8:39 AM Post #1,024 of 21,761
So my Koss ESP / 10 arrived, and it looks to be in very good shape along with its matching transformer. This thing is a solid block of wood. Also low and behold, it has a Stax-type termination as standard. I've got the headphones charging, but there's a massive channel imbalance, and I'm hearing sound clearly from the left channel, whereas the right channel is extremely quiet (but audible if I lower the volume on the left side). I'm hoping this is one of those "needs to charge for an hour" things that pops up with vintage stats from time to time, otherwise it's either a cable issue or, worse, a driver issue.

From the side I can hear, these actually sound very nice, so I'm hoping this can be fixed.

Sep 22, 2012 at 9:02 AM Post #1,025 of 21,761
To the 4S, or to the 5?

Well the 4 and 4S share exactly the same screen. Compared to the 5, they just look 'crisper' though after awhile, the colors look washed out versus the 5. My girlfriend took a picture of her house as her background, and is using it on both phones. On the 4, the grass just looks like paste compared to the richer greener one grass on the 5.

It's still going to take some getting used to...

4/4S to the 5. Hmm. Interesting. At least one of my iP4-toting friends is going to get a 5, so probably all of them are going to compare between each other. I'll just wait here nonchalantly.

Sep 22, 2012 at 9:12 AM Post #1,027 of 21,761
Sep 22, 2012 at 9:28 AM Post #1,028 of 21,761
Quote:

Thanks for the link. I meant the gamer one, yeah. For me it's between the Samsung or the Alienware....

I dunno, just not feeling the Asus so much.

No probs. Yeah, I've been looking at the Samsung as well as the others. I really like that the Samsung keeps a somewhat sober design, while letting some parts get the bling-bling treatment, kind of a mix of both worlds. What I really like about the Asus is the design - it actually looks like a laptop. If the Samsung would have a better GPU, I'd become more interested. The GTX 675M is afaik built on the fermi architecture while the 680M in the MSI and Alienware (if one chooses the 680M), and the 660M (to the best of my knowledge) in the cheaper Alienware and the Asus is built on Kepler. The Kepler is a bit more exciting as to performance/energy ratio, so they either get better performance or lower energy consumption which could lead to longer battery life and less heat, but that's really depending on many, many factors other than the GPU itself. It's really up to the implementation of the whole package. The 675M on the Samsung is really not bad, but it's an older technology despite being in the 600 series.

There's another brand, or OEM brand so to say, that you should check out as well - Clevo. Clevo comes actually under many brands (and has historically come under a lot of known computer brands as well). You have the Schenker, Eurocom, and a plethora of smaller boutique brands using Clevo computers. They all have a really good performance for a low price in common, also, they're probably the easiest laptops to upgrade in many ways. I'm intrigued by its price/performance ratio, but a bit put off by its keyboard. 

Sep 22, 2012 at 10:18 AM Post #1,029 of 21,761
Can the two guys who got the iP5 test if this is true? http://www.slashgear.com/your-8mp-iphone-5-may-only-give-you-4mp-photos-but-its-not-broken-21248848/

EDIT: oh wow, that article is getting a beating from the Nokia fans LOL. Also here's another one with picture comparisons. http://hiblue.com/2012/09/21/first-iphone-5-images-appear-online-pixel-oversampling-confirmed-offline-comparison-of-sensitivity/

Sep 22, 2012 at 10:53 AM Post #1,030 of 21,761
Can the two guys who got the iP5 test if this is true? http://www.slashgear.com/your-8mp-iphone-5-may-only-give-you-4mp-photos-but-its-not-broken-21248848/
EDIT: oh wow, that article is getting a beating from the Nokia fans LOL. Also here's another one with picture comparisons. http://hiblue.com/2012/09/21/first-iphone-5-images-appear-online-pixel-oversampling-confirmed-offline-comparison-of-sensitivity/

The reviewer at the second link keeps saying that to use OIS the subject needs to "stay still" - that's not always true - it depends on the implementation of IS. For the low-cost IS that would be in a phone or P&S camera, it's probably true - but not with a good DSLR.
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/standard_display/Lens_Advantage_IS

Sep 22, 2012 at 11:19 AM Post #1,031 of 21,761

The reviewer at the second link keeps saying that to use OIS the subject needs to "stay still" - that's not always true - it depends on the implementation of IS. For the low-cost IS that would be in a phone or P&S camera, it's probably true - but not with a good DSLR.
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/standard_display/Lens_Advantage_IS

In the context of HiBlue (the second link), it is correct. But I can see how it can be misleading.

Sep 22, 2012 at 12:37 PM Post #1,032 of 21,761
Quote:
So my Koss ESP / 10 arrived, and it looks to be in very good shape along with its matching transformer. This thing is a solid block of wood. Also low and behold, it has a Stax-type termination as standard. I've got the headphones charging, but there's a massive channel imbalance, and I'm hearing sound clearly from the left channel, whereas the right channel is extremely quiet (but audible if I lower the volume on the left side). I'm hoping this is one of those "needs to charge for an hour" things that pops up with vintage stats from time to time, otherwise it's either a cable issue or, worse, a driver issue.

From the side I can hear, these actually sound very nice, so I'm hoping this can be fixed.

Seems it's broken. I've e-mailed Koss about possible repairs, but I'm not holding my breath considering it's from the late 70s. The seller claims it was working just fine when he sent it, of course.

This hobby is really annoying. I'm done buying vintage gear.

Sep 22, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #1,033 of 21,761
Quote:
This hobby is really annoying. I'm done buying vintage gear.

LOL.  No, it's not.  And no, you're not. 
wink.gif
  But taking a little break is a good thing now and then... 

Sep 22, 2012 at 3:37 PM Post #1,034 of 21,761
Quote:

LOL.  No, it's not.  And no, you're not. 
wink.gif
  But taking a little break is a good thing now and then... 

You know, a "sorry to hear you were ripped off, MF" would have been appreciated.

Having dealt with the collector's market and invested a not insubstantial amount of time and resources for years now, I've come to be of the opinion that yes, this hobby has a definite annoying side to it. The return isn't worth the hassle for me anymore. Perhaps my perspective will change again down the road, but for now I need stability in my life and less things to waste energy fussing about.

Sep 22, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #1,035 of 21,761
Quote:
You know, a "sorry to hear you were ripped off, MF" would have been appreciated.

I didn't want to assume that the seller was outright lying.  I have been on the other side of this story before and I can assure you that sometimes a thing can be perfectly functional when shipped... only to arrive somewhat less so.  I have since learned to insist on insurance - not so much to protect the buyer - but to help protect the integrity of the transaction.

But in the case that it was fraud, then you most certainly have both my sympathies and empathies - especially if it was something you've been looking forward to for some time.  Dashed expectations can be a real downer. 
frown.gif
  Oh, and for the record, the "LOL" wasn't regarding the experience you went through.  It was about the statement that you're done.  Hazarding a guess here, but I think that deep down, you're probably not done - just exasperated for the time being - or am I way off?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back