The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Feb 10, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #5,762 of 21,761
Feb 10, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #5,763 of 21,761
Quote:
The Nobel Prize Foundation decided to use my interview as a part of their official video. I appear for about 10 seconds from 01:11. Fame!
http://www.nobelprize.org/mediaplayer/index.php?id=1918

An achievement indeed. 

Finally got a decent seal on the IE80 with the new sony hybrids in medium. The extra 1.2mm length over the old hybrids helps. I'll have to try the tape mod, they're too dark for my taste even with the bass tuning on the lowest setting.

With regards to the MDR 7550 is it worth picking up or is it just a classic studio monitor sound, which I have enough examples of already?

Feb 10, 2013 at 7:11 PM Post #5,764 of 21,761
Quote:
An achievement indeed. 

Finally got a decent seal on the IE80 with the new sony hybrids in medium. The extra 1.2mm length over the old hybrids helps. I'll have to try the tape mod, they're too dark for my taste even with the bass tuning on the lowest setting.

With regards to the MDR 7550 is it worth picking up or is it just a classic studio monitor sound, which I have enough examples of already?

Personally I really like the MDR-7550s sound. I mean I sold my FX700s for them and I prefer the MDR-7550s. In regards to the Sony hybrid tips I recommend you pick up some JVC tips. They are on sale on ebay from a seller in the UK (links are provided towards the end of the IE80 appreciation thread).. They work the best on the IE80s IMO. Also try that tape mod out and let me know what you think. :)

Feb 10, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #5,766 of 21,761
Quote:
The Nobel Prize Foundation decided to use my interview as a part of their official video. I appear for about 10 seconds from 01:11. Fame!
http://www.nobelprize.org/mediaplayer/index.php?id=1918

Cool!

Congrats!

smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 10, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #5,767 of 21,761
Quote:

The EX800 is the same as the 7550; it's just the name it goes by in Japan.

Quote:
Uncouth lol.
As MF, said it's the same. Heck, my 7550 is labeled 7550 on the IEM bodies and EX800 on the Y-split plastic.

Well that's news to me. I've read posts where people have called them the 800 or the 7550 and impressions have were always so different I thought they were 2 different IEM's. Thanks for filling me in MF/jgray I would have never guessed.

Hey guys I went into my CLAS box and broke out thhe second LOD to mini USB  interconnect (the CLAS gives you two) and I think my signal cut out problems are solved. I've tapped it countless times and the music doesn't cut out like it does with the first one. I must have just had a dud interconnect.

Feb 10, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #5,768 of 21,761
Quote:

Well that's news to me. I've read posts where people have called them the 800 or the 7550 and impressions have were always so different I thought they were 2 different IEM's. Thanks for filling me in MF/jgray I would have never guessed.

Hey guys I went into my CLAS box and broke out thhe second LOD to mini USB  interconnect (the CLAS gives you two) and I think my signal cut out problems are solved. I've tapped it countless times and the music doesn't cut out like it does with the first one. I must have just had a dud interconnect.

You can hear the difference lol. :p

Feb 10, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #5,769 of 21,761
RE: the 7550 and EX800ST:

I've heard both. They're identical.

Edit: Though I'm not discounting differences between units. I could show you three Edition 8s or T1s that all sounded and even measured differently. My guess is that Sony has stricter standards with their "ST" line than they do the 7550, so there's probably less variation from one EX800ST to the next than there is from the EX800ST to 7550 or one 7550 to another. But I don't think there's an intentional difference. As jgray says they even label the 7550 the EX800 at times.

Feb 10, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #5,771 of 21,761
Quote:
You can hear the difference lol. :p

Yeah one whispers I'm a dud and the other whispers I was built well enough to do the job properly. What can I say the silver plating I had done on my ear canals paid off. The next plan of action is to rewire my house with silver cable so everything looks brighter
biggrin.gif
By the way I'm curious has your 8A left China yet?

Thanks for the info MF and nice new avatar.

You guys think if I messaged Todd and told him I got a dud CLAS interconnect he might snail mail me out a replacement?

Feb 10, 2013 at 11:08 PM Post #5,772 of 21,761
Decided to pass on the EX800/7550. Don't need another studio sound, especially for a portable IEM. A mid-range custom and possibly the TH600(reviews and funds depending) and I'll be sorted for a few months. :)

You guys think if I messaged Todd and told him I got a dud CLAS interconnect he might snail mail me out a replacement?

Worth a shot, it's only an email.

EDIT: I didn't recognise MF with the new avatar. Used to the old one, I guess. It's quite vibrant and makes me feel like I'm being told off. 
tongue.gif

Feb 10, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #5,773 of 21,761
Quote:
Decided to pass on the EX800/7550. Don't need another studio sound, especially for a portable IEM. A mid-range custom and possibly the TH600(reviews and funds depending) and I'll be sorted for a few months. :)

Now that the TH600 has been released in Japan I'm looking forward to reading impressions. For whatever reason the all black TH600 appeals to me. Very Darth Vaderish would be a good way to describe them in my book

Feb 10, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #5,774 of 21,761
Quote:
Now that the TH600 has been released in Japan I'm looking forward to reading impressions. For whatever reason the all black TH600 appeals to me. Very Darth Vaderish would be a good way to describe them in my book

I would probably chrome the centre ring and the fostex logo first chance I got. The all black is nice, but I want an accent of some kind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back