The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Jan 12, 2013 at 2:10 AM Post #4,621 of 21,761
Do they serve good beer, wine and food? $5 is a more appropriate price, IMO, for the movie. And if the food and drink is good enough to justify its own price, then I would probably think that's a better value than what we get here in our regular theater.

The beer is great, local microbrews, pints. The food is adequate, but they've also got couches and other comfy seating.

Jan 12, 2013 at 2:17 AM Post #4,622 of 21,761
We were known to always sneak in hotdogs and moochi-crunch & arare to mix in with the popcorn we bought from the theaters. My Uncle even saves the bag for a refill later lol. I remember the dollar theater I use to sneak in a 1lbs of Ahi-shoyu poke and grind that during the movie :). I miss Daie (originally Holiday Mart but now Don Quijote lol).

Jan 12, 2013 at 2:29 AM Post #4,623 of 21,761
Quote:
The beer is great, local microbrews, pints. The food is adequate, but they've also got couches and other comfy seating.

Sounds like a good enough deal to me. I probably wouldn't feel bad about paying $5 per ticket and having a drink or two as I enjoy the film. It'd be worth the money.

Jan 12, 2013 at 3:49 AM Post #4,624 of 21,761
Ahhh, amping is such a pain. Romy, what's your preferred amp/dac for the Z1000? I was looking into the Schiit stack but it seems that even the more technical reviews state that they're slightly bright, which I could only imagine would be detrimental to the already slightly bass-light sound of the Sonys.

Jan 12, 2013 at 4:43 AM Post #4,625 of 21,761
Quote:
Ladies and gentlemen we have the makings of a heck of a snowstorm in my city tonight. It's been gusting all day with light snow which has steadily increased as the night wears on. Forecast for tonight more wind and snow well into tomorrow bringing in an estimated 20cm of snow. You gotta love Canadian winters.

We have a snowstorm too. It's rare that we have strong winds in winter. It's been very windy in the morning.

I think that Sony's priorities at the moment are digital image ( photo/video cameras, censors) and mobile ( smartphones). TV business is not profitable for them.

It's hard for Sony to compete in mobile because in this sector software and content ecosystem are more important than hardware. In this regard  Asian and European ( Nokia) companies are dependent on American software giants like Google and Microsoft.

God bless Google and Microsoft!

Jan 12, 2013 at 5:34 AM Post #4,626 of 21,761

Quote:

In part of a much longer dream last night there was a story in the news paper about how you won second place in a DAC design contest for making this thing that looked like a brushed aluminum moai.  Your prize was a DAC-2 and I was eager to ask you how it compared to your Invicta.  The article quotes posts of yours from here saying you were pissed off to only get second after all that metal work you did.

That's hilarious. Now I want a DAC that looks like a moai.

I had a head-fi related dream a few nights ago. It involved various amp designers, a birthday party, and a striptease routine. I should stop there.

Quote:

Romy, what's your preferred amp/dac for the Z1000? I was looking into the Schiit stack but it seems that even the more technical reviews state that they're slightly bright, which I could only imagine would be detrimental to the already slightly bass-light sound of the Sonys.

i just use the Onkyo / Zana which I use for everything else, but the Leckerton UHA-6S ($350?) works just fine too. The Modi / Magni ($200-ish) will probably sound great.

Jan 12, 2013 at 6:34 AM Post #4,627 of 21,761
Quote:

To be fair, if you're a fan of their game systems, those things can last for a pretty long time. My PS2 ran for much longer than I owned it. My old PSP (I bought it used) that I sold to a friend about five years ago is still running just fine. Many people still own the early production PS3 and have not suffered many, if any, issues with the system. I agree that most of their consumer electronics are not built to last any longer, but they have still not failed when it comes to producing long-lasting game systems.

My first gen PS3 lasted 5 years, but my PS2 (on its last leg) is on its tenth year 

Jan 12, 2013 at 8:35 AM Post #4,630 of 21,761
Quote:
So the GR07 "Bass Edition" isn't that bassy. Maybe marginally bassier compared to the standard GR07 (going on memory), but it's nowhere near as emphasized as I thought it would be.

I do like the sound and the candycane cable.

Wow that's interesting. The person I talked to (he had all GR07 models) said the bass on the Bass edition started bleeding into the mids and led to a slightly muddier sound.

Jan 12, 2013 at 9:10 AM Post #4,631 of 21,761
Quote:

Wow that's interesting. The person I talked to (he had all GR07 models) said the bass on the Bass edition started bleeding into the mids and led to a slightly muddier sound.

Yeah, that's sort of what I was expecting, but it's not what I'm hearing. Maybe I'll throw some comply foam tips on which should bring out the bass considerably. Could be a fit problem. However the sub bass region seems more enhanced relative to what I remember from the normal GR07, but not so much the mid bass which is what would lead to gunking up of the midrange. The treble region seems a bit tamer compared to the normal GR07, so maybe the "muddier sound" impressions are due in part to that? The midrange sounds fine to me.

Edit: Reading some other impressions, it seems I'm not alone in thinking this isn't a basshead IEM. People claim it fills in with use, so I suppose we'll see. Er, hear.

Edit #2: This is in line with my thoughts, taken from a Chinese forum:

"Compared with the GR07, subbass is deeper, while bass quantity doesn't changes much. The transient response/dynamic range is enhanced, and vocals are not covered by the bass. Otherwise, there's not much change for other factors, just a touch more boosted in the bass frequencies."

Jan 12, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #4,635 of 21,761

That's hilarious. Now I want a DAC that looks like a moai.

I had a head-fi related dream a few nights ago. It involved various amp designers, a birthday party, and a striptease routine. I should stop there.

eek.gif
 Huh?! It took me months to finally afford High-speed Internet service this month! And you're going to make us wait?! 
deadhorse.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back