The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Jan 11, 2013 at 5:21 AM Post #4,606 of 21,761
Quote:

Interesting, the Flat4 are even more dynamic than the IE800? I believe the Senns have very good dynamics, and as a result, impressive depth. Don't remember where I got that impression from, but I thought the Flat4 sound rather 2D with little depth, which usually goes hand in hand with limited dynamics. May have been wrong about them all along. 
blink.gif

The Flat4 have what I tend to call "inner depth." Compared to the IE800 they sound a lot more like they're inside your head, between your ears. For me however this isn't the same as flat. The RedGiant A03 for instance sounds like it's outside your head, but it lacks depth, so the effect is like watching a big movie screen.

Quote:

Dunno, but I had that gut feeling regarding the FXZ200 which made me stay away. Would be interested in hearing your thoughts on the supposed similarity to the IE800, after you've spent some time with both.

Maybe I need to spend more time with them, and maybe fit is playing a big part, but so far I don't think the FXZ200 and IE800 sound remotely like each other.

Jan 11, 2013 at 5:25 AM Post #4,607 of 21,761
Quote:
* I'm just waiting until my Electra's nearing completion and watching FS and such just in case.  I think PC -> Aqvox -> Stello U3 -> W4S DAC-2 -> Electra -> SR-009 will be a stopping point for me for a good long while since I don't know which uber DACs I can trust yet and for all I know that field will be different in a year or two.  Also bypassing its USB chip made my DAC-2 pretty darn nice sounding. 

These would be a good step up from your W4S:

PerfectWave DAC Mk2
NAD M51
Resonessence Invicta
Resolution Cantata

I would happily have any one of those in my system.

Jan 11, 2013 at 5:59 AM Post #4,608 of 21,761
I think I'm officially sick of the AD700 after having used them exclusively for the past week. At least, that's what I thought a moment ago until my library shuffled to an old ZARD song that sounds really nice on them:

Somehow that large, grainy, smeared wall of sound actually brings in lots of energy to this track. It isn't the kind of presentation that I'd call "correct" in anyway, but it's messy and powerful sound just feels good to me for some reason.

The funny thing is that lately I haven't been listening to jpop at all; but rather traditional and power metal
tongue_smile.gif

Jan 11, 2013 at 8:02 AM Post #4,610 of 21,761
Quote:

These would be a good step up from your W4S:

PerfectWave DAC Mk2
NAD M51
Resonessence Invicta
Resolution Cantata

I would happily have any one of those in my system.

In part of a much longer dream last night there was a story in the news paper about how you won second place in a DAC design contest for making this thing that looked like a brushed aluminum moai.  Your prize was a DAC-2 and I was eager to ask you how it compared to your Invicta.  The article quotes posts of yours from here saying you were pissed off to only get second after all that metal work you did.

Jan 11, 2013 at 9:59 PM Post #4,611 of 21,761
Ladies and gentlemen we have the makings of a heck of a snowstorm in my city tonight. It's been gusting all day with light snow which has steadily increased as the night wears on. Forecast for tonight more wind and snow well into tomorrow bringing in an estimated 20cm of snow. You gotta love Canadian winters.

Jan 11, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #4,612 of 21,761
Quote:
Ladies and gentlemen we have the makings of a heck of a snowstorm in my city tonight. It's been gusting all day with light snow which has steadily increased as the night wears on. Forecast for tonight more wind and snow well into tomorrow bringing in an estimated 20cm of snow. You gotta love Canadian winters.

It's 70 F here in Louisiana, but it was in the 40s yesterday. I'd rather wake up knowing what to expect, than having to wear a summer tee shirt under my thick jacket.

Jan 11, 2013 at 10:48 PM Post #4,614 of 21,761
Ok guys, how about we infiltrate Sony's HQ and factories and designers' houses for the blueprints to the 1R and qualia and their older phones? >:D Bring back the age of good phones n sony with them :D

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/01/10/us-sony-asset-sale-idUSBRE90904020130110

Emergahd Sony! Are they really that much in trouble?

:/

Jan 12, 2013 at 1:01 AM Post #4,615 of 21,761
Quote:

I want that. It's basically 80 in Florida. Ugh, and I got a nice wool coat for Christmas too :frowning2:

Jan 12, 2013 at 1:41 AM Post #4,616 of 21,761
I've asked adults that know Sony what they think of the company and if they aren't a fan, I almost always get the same response:

"They used to make quality products until they got greedy in the late 90's. Now their stuff isn't worth buying anymore because even though it looks or sounds great, its designed to brake down."

But I think today's generation is different. People don't expect their tv to last 10+ years anymore. My parents 32 inch Sony Trinitron lasted nearly 15 years with 3 repairs. People wouldn't even consider getting a repair now. We replace everything. 3 years life for any product seems to be the limit right now.

They need regular people buying their consumer products. You don't really see Walkman's or Bravia's in places like targets and costcos anymore. I haven't seen a walkman on display/for sale in Bestbuy in a while, and when I do its usually a low end competitor to the iPod Nano. For all the RnD Sony had to put into the X series, why would the average person care if it isn't readily available and can't do what an iTouch can?

Now that Sony can depend on Android maybe they'll reach a bigger consumer base. I Hope the Z Yuga and Zl Odin sells well for them. If Verizon does decide to work with them and release a CDMA version it will probably be my first smartphone.

Jan 12, 2013 at 1:50 AM Post #4,617 of 21,761
Quote:
I've asked adults that know Sony what they think of the company and if they aren't a fan, I almost always get the same response:

"They used to make quality products until they got greedy in the late 90's. Now their stuff isn't worth buying anymore because even though it looks or sounds great, its designed to brake down."

But I think today's generation is different. People don't expect their tv to last 10+ years anymore. My parents 32 inch Sony Trinitron lasted nearly 15 years with 3 repairs. People wouldn't even consider getting a repair now. We replace everything. 3 years life for any product seems to be the limit right now.

They need regular people buying their consumer products. You don't really see Walkman's or Bravia's in places like targets and costcos anymore. I haven't seen a walkman on display/for sale in Bestbuy in a while, and when I do its usually a low end competitor to the iPod Nano. For all the RnD Sony had to put into the X series, why would the average person care if it isn't readily available and can't do what an iTouch can?

Now that Sony can depend on Android maybe they'll reach a bigger consumer base. I Hope the Z Yuga and Zl Odin sells well for them. If Verizon does decide to work with them and release a CDMA version it will probably be my first smartphone.

To be fair, if you're a fan of their game systems, those things can last for a pretty long time. My PS2 ran for much longer than I owned it. My old PSP (I bought it used) that I sold to a friend about five years ago is still running just fine. Many people still own the early production PS3 and have not suffered many, if any, issues with the system. I agree that most of their consumer electronics are not built to last any longer, but they have still not failed when it comes to producing long-lasting game systems.

Jan 12, 2013 at 1:56 AM Post #4,618 of 21,761

Yeah /: I've got a plasma that's been here for 12 years now that's still running fine. Also have CRT that's probably been around 16 years. Also have an LCD Bravia that's been around for quite some time now 2-3 years? I don't really see it going down soon though.

As for audio, today's generation of kiddies and young adults just fall for what they hear n for what's trendy, wasting hundreds on bad phones. Although semi released their Orpheus, they haven't gone down cause of microphones n the fact that they've been specializing in audio n making quality products that sell. Sony on the other hand went downwards after R10. Even their lower end phones were good, but now it's just "what just happened?"after a decade. A company that was decades ahead :s

Jan 12, 2013 at 2:09 AM Post #4,620 of 21,761
Quote:
My Nintendo 64 and PlayStation lasted longer than I decided to keep them. Kinda wish I kept the N64 though :frowning2:...

Oh yeah. Nintendo 64 and PS1... Some of those systems will probably outlive me. They're some of the most durable and most well-built gaming consoles out there. My friend bought an N64 from Goodwill for about $15. It looked like it had just come back from Hell. Plugged it in, threw in an ancient-looking Starfox64 cartridge and turned the system on. It played like it was brand new. It's hard to believe any of those things ever failed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back