The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Dec 15, 2012 at 3:26 AM Post #3,571 of 21,761
Quote:
You speak Chinese?
blink.gif
Yeah, I know, "look at my last name", but I've known a lot of Chinese Americans who couldn't order at a restaurant.
Yeah, I'm still up, my wife won't go to bed until she's done watching this stupid movie that's on.

What movie? I'm up because I'm slowly developing insomnia :/

Dec 15, 2012 at 3:32 AM Post #3,572 of 21,761
Quote:
Quote:
Kiteki, the above translations are correct.  "色" is a modifier meaning color or hue.  "橙" means orange, and "红" means red.  So, what you're indicating with the phrases above are "orange color" and "red color" respectively.

However, I do feel compelled to mention that the "橙色" (orange color) mentioned above tends to translate into a lighter shade of orange, somewhat like the peel of an unripened or early orange (fruit).

If you're looking for something that is more bold, more akin to a nuclear orange, more like a carrot, you may wish to indicate "橙红色" instead.  Literally, it translates as "orange red color".  But tonally, it equates to a darker and more intense shade of orange.

You speak Chinese?
blink.gif
Yeah, I know, "look at my last name", but I've known a lot of Chinese Americans who couldn't order at a restaurant.

Yeah, I'm still up, my wife won't go to bed until she's done watching this stupid movie that's on.

Yup.  I guess the cat is out of the bag now.  Guess why I got chosen to be the liason to our Chinese manufacturing facilities?  Lucky me.  Having said that, I don't have a very deep vocabulary.  And any grade school Chinese kid would make me sound like an idiot by comparison, but I can get by okay if need be.

Bet you're pretty tired after the day you've had. 
wink.gif
  And what stupid movie might that be?

BTW, I take it little Emma is sleeping soundly throughout most of the night these days?

Dec 15, 2012 at 4:09 AM Post #3,573 of 21,761
Yeah, lucky you. :wink:

I have no idea what movie it is, it's B&W w/ subs and looks like it was filmed in the 60s. Thank God it's almost over, I'm bushed.

Yeah, the baby sleeps most of the night now, only wakes up once or twice.

Dec 15, 2012 at 5:58 AM Post #3,574 of 21,761
It's kind of bad when most of your passwords are stored in your muscle memory, but you don't actually remember them mentally. The other day I completely forgot one of my passwords, and the more I actually tried to remember it, the more I couldn't. Only when I stopped trying to remember was I able to "remember."

I just purchased some tea online. In the past I've always gone to local tea shops for my tea exploration needs, so this should be an interesting experience. I already own several Gaiwans (as well as some Yixing and cast iron teapots, tea sets, and infusers) and am familiar with Gongfu tea preparation, but I may try to find another one to mark this latest "re-entry" into my hobby since several have mentioned them in this thread.

I realized I sort of go about my tea and head-fi hobbies in a similar way.

Dec 15, 2012 at 7:24 AM Post #3,580 of 21,761
It's kind of bad when most of your passwords are stored in your muscle memory, but you don't actually remember them mentally. The other day I completely forgot one of my passwords, and the more I actually tried to remember it, the more I couldn't. Only when I stopped trying to remember was I able to "remember."

That's happened to me too a few times, most recently a few months ago when I had to take out money from an ATM in the middle of nowhere, I typed in the wrong PIN twice, so I didn't risk the third time when it swallows your card.  I realised later I was trying too hard to remember, and typing in a much older PIN.

Dec 15, 2012 at 7:30 AM Post #3,581 of 21,761
Quote:

That's happened to me too a few times, most recently a few months ago when I had to take out money from an ATM in the middle of nowhere, I typed in the wrong PIN twice, so I didn't risk the third time when it swallows your card.  I realised later I was trying too hard to remember, and typing in a much older PIN.

I am actually writing an academic paper on this topic. In short, it describes how biometrics will become the future (things like facial verification, etc). It will solve all those problems of forgetting PINs and passwords.

Dec 15, 2012 at 7:53 AM Post #3,582 of 21,761
I am actually writing an academic paper on this topic. In short, it describes how biometrics will become the future (things like facial verification, etc). It will solve all those problems of forgetting PINs and passwords.

Make sure you include the scene from Demolition Man (the 90's movie with Wesley Snipes and Ms. Bullox).

Dec 15, 2012 at 8:03 AM Post #3,583 of 21,761
This thread moves way too slow.

Reminds me of this book, highly recommended read. Puts things into perspective, in a very informative and (believe it or not) entertaining way.

Thanks James, that looks quite interesting.  Have you seen the movie Demolition Man. =p

Dec 15, 2012 at 9:09 AM Post #3,585 of 21,761

Biometrics are fine and dandy on paper, especially when thinking of how futuristic they feel. However, they will introduce other problems. Personally, I'd rather have to order a new card because of me forgetting my PIN, than having some server god-knows-where available to god-knows-who with the security configured by god-knows-who at god-knows-what-company, and so on. I'm not really trusting in these kinds of things, and when biometrics becomes the norm, I hope it will be able to recognize my face despite me wearing a tinfoil hat. I suppose that my background in university that was geared towards infosec (and systems development) does give me a couple of very different opinions on biometrics - at times very conflicting opinions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back