The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Nov 18, 2012 at 1:45 PM Post #2,641 of 21,761
So if someone REALLY likes 'x' product and you don't, you automatically believe that people opinions have influenced that someone?!?

All people's opinions are influenced by someone, that's unavoidable. My issues are with Audeze HP's recessed treble (that's confirmed by measurements) and their boomy, flabby bass (also measured). Also, there's weight, which causes discomfort, and funky distribution of that weight, which causes them to seem even heavier than they actually are. If I can't wear a set of cans for more than an hour without pain, which is a very common complaint with LCDs, even among their fans, there's a problem with the fundamental design of the things.

But, as my sig says, any and all observations are stated "IMO". "Sweet dreams are made of these..." and all that sort of thing.

Nov 18, 2012 at 2:03 PM Post #2,642 of 21,761
All people's opinions are influenced by someone, that's unavoidable.

This is where your own testing and filtering must make the difference. And there is always good influence and bad influence. And of course, on that logic you have been influenced yourself in your opinions. Who is to say yours are better, or less influenced ?

All people's opinions are influenced by someone, that's unavoidable. My issues are with Audeze HP's recessed treble (that's confirmed by measurements) and their boomy, flabby bass (also measured). Also, there's weight, which causes discomfort, and funky distribution of that weight, which causes them to seem even heavier than they actually are. If I can't wear a set of cans for more than an hour without pain, which is a very common complaint with LCDs, even among their fans, there's a problem with the fundamental design of the things.
But, as my sig says, any and all observations are stated "IMO". "Sweet dreams are made of these..." and all that sort of thing.

From what I know the measurement of the bass is one of the best there is. Nothing from the measurement shows "flabby" bass.
I and many other happen to like more recessed treble. IMO it is just as much as I need. I like other treble better but not for long listening sessions.

I have tested the previous R2 version.

I have the Bamboo version which is lighter and their grip is not so tight as the previous version.

They are not the most comfortable pair of headphones out there. It cannot be compared with hd800 on that matter for example, but I have my pair for over 3 ours on my head and I am just fine :D

Almost everybody make statements "in their opinion". That does not mean that some of those opinions couldn't be more carefully stated in a matter others wouldn't find them offensive.

Nov 18, 2012 at 2:06 PM Post #2,643 of 21,761
Interesting. A new Apple Store just happened to open up in my local mall yesterday, so maybe I'll pick them up today when I check the store out, so long as I am able to get inside the place :D

I'd like to compare them to my old Sony earbuds (Sony MDR-E434/Sony MDR-E575) too. I'd be happy if they were an upgrade on the old early 90's Sony earbuds, as the old Apple iBuds were no such thing.

Note though that I'm going from my memory to whatever head-fi stuff that passed my way in the <$100, i.e. not a lot. But for what it is, it's really truly good.

Nov 18, 2012 at 2:44 PM Post #2,645 of 21,761
Quote:
Almost everybody make statements "in their opinion". That does not mean that some of those opinions couldn't be more carefully stated in a matter others wouldn't find them offensive.

THIS!

Nov 18, 2012 at 3:26 PM Post #2,646 of 21,761
This is where your own testing and filtering must make the difference. And there is always good influence and bad influence. And of course, on that logic you have been influenced yourself in your opinions. Who is to say yours are better, or less influenced ?
From what I know the measurement of the bass is one of the best there is. Nothing from the measurement shows "flabby" bass.

You can't see the flabby bass with the FR chart, though the recessed treble is rather obvious. If you don't like much treble, that's great, but for my cash I want a $1k set of audiophile headphones to be neutral.

Their often sited "flabby" nature is caused by a couple factors; their transducer design (they're heavier and larger than the "competition") and poor driver control due to low damping factor (amp problem). The first is made worse by the second and this causes nasty impulse response:

Which comes across as muddy bass. Part of this can be remedied by a high voltage, low impedance amp, but some of it can't be fixed.

Anyhow, as this discussion is causing ire, I'll drop it. No reason to irritate the local residents any further.

Nov 18, 2012 at 11:53 PM Post #2,647 of 21,761
I just had someone message me offering to take my Ortofon e-Q7 IEM's which are valued at over 200 bones and in return he was offering me a pair of 60 dollar Sony IEM's as trade. Either someone has been drinking to much this Sunday evening or I just got trolled. Why anyone would want to troll little old me is the question.

Nov 19, 2012 at 12:07 AM Post #2,648 of 21,761
Quote:
Why anyone would want to troll little old me is the question.

You ask for the lost wisdom of ages past.  Who knows such things? 
confused.gif

Nov 19, 2012 at 12:15 AM Post #2,649 of 21,761
Quote:
I just had someone message me offering to take my Ortofon e-Q7 IEM's which are valued at over 200 bones and in return he was offering me a pair of 60 dollar Sony IEM's as trade. Either someone has been drinking to much this Sunday evening or I just got trolled. Why anyone would want to troll little old me is the question.

Doesn't that happen a lot? I get offers like that all the time. It's kind of ridiculous.

Nov 19, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #2,650 of 21,761
Quote:

You ask for the lost wisdom of ages past.  Who knows such things? 
confused.gif

Probably no one in our time. The best defense against an onslaught of trolls is a good offense. I move we band our little group together and get better organized. Time to form a common front against the enemy.

Nov 19, 2012 at 12:22 AM Post #2,651 of 21,761
Quote:
Doesn't that happen a lot? I get offers like that all the time. It's kind of ridiculous.

You ever bother answering back? I'm half tempted to answer back demanding the he sweeten the deal with 5 dancing girls, a jumbo jet, and a house in the Bahamas just for the yuks I would get from his reaction.

Nov 19, 2012 at 12:25 AM Post #2,653 of 21,761
Quote:
DigitalFreak said:
   You ever bother answering back? I'm half tempted to answer back demanding the he sweeten the deal with 5 dancing girls, a jumbo jet, and a house in the Bahamas just for the yuks I would get from his reaction.

I do, but I think I'm too polite for my own good. I should try your strategy next time.

Nov 19, 2012 at 12:52 AM Post #2,654 of 21,761
Hmph, I remember Headphone Addict raving about this at CamJam and the thread concerning this DAC/amp has been followed rather enthusiastically by Centrance fans. Looks interesting love the features but looks a little bulky. Mind you from what I've been gleaming from the thread this thing should be able to drive just about anything

EDIT
Crap I can't seem to post the video. Follow the LINK

Nov 19, 2012 at 2:14 AM Post #2,655 of 21,761
Quote:
Hmph, I remember Headphone Addict raving about this at CamJam and the thread concerning this DAC/amp has been followed rather enthusiastically by Centrance fans. Looks interesting love the features but looks a little bulky. Mind you from what I've been gleaming from the thread this thing should be able to drive just about anything

EDIT
Crap I can't seem to post the video. Follow the LINK

Does anyone know where Michael Goodman is from? In all the videos I've seen featuring him, his English contains some kind of eastern European, Slavic-ish twang --- not that there's anything wrong with that, but I thought it was interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back