The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Jul 23, 2013 at 11:54 PM Post #16,216 of 21,761
The Sony RX1 & RX1R remind me of some of those great old film viewfinder cameras from Leica, Contax, Yashica, Konica, etc, etc. Really excellent fast & sharp lenses put onto simple and bulletproof bodies.

Jul 23, 2013 at 11:58 PM Post #16,217 of 21,761
Quote:
Wait a second, you drove with your customs in your ears!!!! To think you once gave me a big brotherly talking to concerning the perils of walking down the street deaf due to me bopping to my music. I'm calling your mom dude, you're so grounded.

It was early in the morning with minimal traffic on the road. I just wanted to try it out one time lol. I just did a quick run to the post office to drop off a package. But oh boy was I ****ting bricks when I started driving off. Felt so off :p.

Jul 24, 2013 at 12:01 AM Post #16,218 of 21,761
I'd also consider the FujiFilm X10 or X20. It has a quality, versatile lens, and a nice sensor that does away with the low-pass in the X20. The RX100/II probably has marginally better IQ, but the X10/20 is the way to go if people want to learn how to use a camera. All the dials are readily accessible, has a pretty optical viewfinder, and it's ergonomically designed for shooting. As cute as the RX100 looks, I anticipate running into problems holding it in my hands.

Jul 24, 2013 at 12:09 AM Post #16,219 of 21,761
Quote:

It was early in the morning with minimal traffic on the road. I just wanted to try it out one time lol. I just did a quick run to the post office to drop off a package. But oh boy was I ****ting bricks when I started driving off. Felt so off :p.

Here's a good one for you, every day I see cyclists zooming in and out of traffic wearing earbuds deaf to the world. Makes me wonder how there isn't more deaths in our city.

Jul 24, 2013 at 12:45 AM Post #16,220 of 21,761
Quote:
Here's a good one for you, every day I see cyclists zooming in and out of traffic wearing earbuds deaf to the world. Makes me wonder how there isn't more deaths in our city.

I hear ya! :p. I remember coming home from Costco recently when this crack-head started crossing the street. Ok I have the green light but he does have the right of way. Well when I'm about to make my turn he zooms across the main street which he does not have the right of way to do lol. I could have ran his ass over. Must have been chasing a rock or something :wink:. It was totally random. He literally just finished crossing the street and then immediately starts crossing the other street.
rolleyes.gif

Jul 24, 2013 at 2:28 AM Post #16,221 of 21,761
The Sony RX1 & RX1R remind me of some of those great old film viewfinder cameras from Leica, Contax, Yashica, Konica, etc, etc. Really excellent fast & sharp lenses put onto simple and bulletproof bodies.

ISO 25600? Who needs that? :eek:

Jul 24, 2013 at 3:44 AM Post #16,222 of 21,761
Quote:
ISO 25600? Who needs that?
eek.gif

If a camera can get that high with usable results, it can be extremely liberating. In this set and this one, there are shots that went that high, and higher. It's hard to tell from the photos (because of how high the ISO was in some of those shots) just how little light there was to work with. Below a certain level of darkness, my camera's dozens of focus points become increasingly useless, except the center focus point that just continues to focus at crazy low light levels I can barely see in.

This shot is at ISO 40637 (1/80, 14mm, f/2.8); and, again, it was much darker in reality than the photo would indicate:

The shots below were at ISO 25600:

I had speedlights with me, but being able to move around and shoot freely (even though it was dark), without losing the feel of the actual ambient lighting, is really fun and liberating.

I just did an Adobe Lightroom filter of my library to show all photos at or above ISO 25600, and there's a whole lot of them there. If your camera can get up that high with usable results (and what's "usable" is up to each person), you might be surprised how much you use it.

Jul 24, 2013 at 3:55 AM Post #16,223 of 21,761
Quote:

You should only bother with lenses if you pretend to take photography a bit more serious, the RX100II have an amazing value, good, sharp lens, really nice sensor and a very compact body. For this sensor size you shouldn't expect a shallow depth of field, unless you're taking some close-up portraits or doing macro photography, for most situations works fine.

And for the guy with the RX1R, it's a shame to have such nice camera and waste it on Auto mode. You definitely should learn how to use it on manual mode!

Still learning how to take good pictures changing settings. Reading the Japanese manual is a pain in the XXX for me.

Jul 24, 2013 at 3:59 AM Post #16,224 of 21,761
That may be more light than I know what to do with. 
tongue.gif

Jul 24, 2013 at 4:04 AM Post #16,225 of 21,761
Quote:
I'd also consider the FujiFilm X10 or X20. It has a quality, versatile lens, and a nice sensor that does away with the low-pass in the X20. The RX100/II probably has marginally better IQ, but the X10/20 is the way to go if people want to learn how to use a camera. All the dials are readily accessible, has a pretty optical viewfinder, and it's ergonomically designed for shooting. As cute as the RX100 looks, I anticipate running into problems holding it in my hands.

Ultimately it's pocketability vs ergonomics. The RX100 slips easily into a front jeans pocket. And it's ok to hold, as long as you primarily shoot in auto / program mode. Doing manual adjustments is rather awkward though.

Jul 24, 2013 at 4:08 AM Post #16,226 of 21,761
You should only bother with lenses if you pretend to take photography a bit more serious, the RX100II have an amazing value, good, sharp lens, really nice sensor and a very compact body. For this sensor size you shouldn't expect a shallow depth of field, unless you're taking some close-up portraits or doing macro photography, for most situations works fine.

And for the guy with the RX1R, it's a shame to have such nice camera and waste it on Auto mode. You definitely should learn how to use it on manual mode!

Ahh, that's probably for the best then that I don't bother with lens then, just like why I shouldn't bother with higher end audio gear since I took both hobbies relatively casually.

I am comparing between those two (well, three, with the Panasonic LX7), and it also helps that the non-Sony is cheaper by a bit.
----------------
There's this comparison widget up on DPReview that I find very helpful for image comparison, at least studio pictures, for all three of said cameras, and conveniently enough, they have image samples from my current phone too (though not surprising since I know that they did a camera review on it). Glad to see that what my phone is capable of is slightly below par not too horrible compared to the X20, RX100 and LX7.

It actually makes my purchasing decision harder lol. I should be happy that I don't have to spend money, but I want to... and I sighed disappointingly at that too

Jul 24, 2013 at 4:34 AM Post #16,227 of 21,761
Quote:
Wait a second, you drove with your customs in your ears!!!! To think you once gave me a big brotherly talking to concerning the perils of walking down the street deaf due to me bopping to my music. I'm calling your mom dude, you're so grounded.

Speaking of, just this week a Rice student was likely wearing headphones when she was cut in half by a railcar.

Jul 24, 2013 at 4:37 AM Post #16,228 of 21,761
Quote:

If a camera can get that high with usable results, it can be extremely liberating. In this set and this one, there are shots that went that high, and higher. It's hard to tell from the photos (because of how high the ISO was in some of those shots) just how little light there was to work with. Below a certain level of darkness, my camera's dozens of focus points become increasingly useless, except the center focus point that just continues to focus at crazy low light levels I can barely see in.

This shot is at ISO 40637 (1/80, 14mm, f/2.8); and, again, it was much darker in reality than the photo would indicate:

The shots below were at ISO 25600:

I had speedlights with me, but being able to move around and shoot freely (even though it was dark), without losing the feel of the actual ambient lighting, is really fun and liberating.

I just did an Adobe Lightroom filter of my library to show all photos at or above ISO 25600, and there's a whole lot of them there. If your camera can get up that high with usable results (and what's "usable" is up to each person), you might be surprised how much you use it.

What camera do you use? It seems to have a very good noise filtering. My old trusted D200 couldn't come close to those numbers. In fact, pictures close to 1000 ISO (it's been a while since I took photos, but IIRC my pain treshold was 800 ISO?) are starting to be noisy enough not to use them.

Jul 24, 2013 at 5:18 AM Post #16,229 of 21,761

Speaking of, just this week a Rice student was likely wearing headphones when she was cut in half by a railcar.

Theme song for mood.

Wild MUPPETFACE appears!

What will JGRAY91 do?

JGRAY91 used GREET!

Welcome back!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back