The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Jun 22, 2013 at 10:34 AM Post #15,001 of 21,761
Jun 22, 2013 at 10:59 AM Post #15,002 of 21,761
Thankfully my wife never saw it. :p

Haha, all I remember was the price and that I thought it was surprisingly pretty tastefully done, so not all bad.

Jun 22, 2013 at 11:29 AM Post #15,003 of 21,761
Wow... 1,000. About the amount that shoulda gone back in my pocket instead of tradin for the 1P2. It'll be there when I get back from work, and yet... All I can think of is Eke's ASG-2 :l

Jun 22, 2013 at 11:37 AM Post #15,005 of 21,761
Yeah Soundfreaq is making them out to be some sorta transcendent experience. We'll see. I have no doubt that they'll be an insanely technically proficient performer, but I really connected with the G-2 sig like nothing else

Jun 22, 2013 at 12:56 PM Post #15,006 of 21,761
Under the auspice of MuppetFace, I bring to the thread our next theme for our #mixtape project:

[COLOR=77E051]Old [/COLOR]X [COLOR=BA51E0]New[/COLOR]

It could be an old dog that learnt new tricks, or it could be a remix of old songs using modern musical instruments. As long as it is something relatively old and new in a fusion in some fashion, or it gives the impression like it’s a mix of old and new, it counts.

Now, as fun as the first mixtape was, I feel it’s a bit of a mess, in a sense. Again, briefly discussed this with MF, and I propose a few restrictions to put this mixtape in a better focus:

• Of course, try to have the song(s) in question in Youtube for posterity’s sake. If not, I’ll still collect the links into a post after the deadline
  • Yes, there’s going to be a deadline. I like in a month’s time is good.
  • There’s not going to be a length limit, as I think the theme itself is kind of hard, but I propose that each person contributes 3 songs max.
  • For ease of searching (since there’s another thread that does mixtape now :rolleyes:) I suggest we put in #OXN at the end of submission posts. At least for this theme.

Other than that, I feel the last restrictions is how vast your music library is and your imagination.

There’s a month to plunder your musical depths for submissions, so there’s no need to rush. Onwards! Lets strive for wider, brighter musical horizon!

#mixtape; #OXN

Jun 22, 2013 at 1:34 PM Post #15,007 of 21,761
Just to get the ball rolling (and away from my mild-poke-turning-huge post), here's my first submission:

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zPAefHLJss[/VIDEO]

YMO has wormed its way into my heart in some weird way the first few times I've listened to them in the past year. Most likely just being Japanese... Probably. More plausibly because at the time I found YMO, I think I was trying to get into electronic music. I always thought that going to the first of the first to be a good way to start liking something. And it worked, in a sense.

So, as I was listening to this song on youtube one day, I thought, "damn, this old and new **** is amazing". YMO, one of the influential innovators of electronic music, and Vocaloid, one of the more interesting "instrument" to grace the music scene, in a song together. And thus borne from this is our new theme.

#OXN

Jun 22, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #15,008 of 21,761
Quote:
Under the auspice of MuppetFace, I bring to the thread our next theme for our #mixtape project:

Old X New

It could be an old dog that learnt new tricks, or it could be a remix of old songs using modern musical instruments. As long as it is something relatively old and new in a fusion in some fashion, or it gives the impression like it’s a mix of old and new, it counts.

Now, as fun as the first mixtape was, I feel it’s a bit of a mess, in a sense. Again, briefly discussed this with MF, and I propose a few restrictions to put this mixtape in a better focus:
  1. Of course, try to have the song(s) in question in Youtube for posterity’s sake. If not, I’ll still collect the links into a post after the deadline
  2. Yes, there’s going to be a deadline. I like in a month’s time is good.
  3. There’s not going to be a length limit, as I think the theme itself is kind of hard, but I propose that each person contributes 3 songs max.
  4. For ease of searching (since there’s another thread that does mixtape now
    rolleyes.gif
    ) I suggest we put in #OXN at the end of submission posts. At least for this theme.

Other than that, I feel the last restrictions is how vast your music library is and your imagination.

There’s a month to plunder your musical depths for submissions, so there’s no need to rush. Onwards! Lets strive for wider, brighter musical horizon!

#mixtape; #OXN

May as well just use Daft's RAM. Now that they decided to make a career channeling KC and the Sunshine Band.
wink.gif

Jun 22, 2013 at 6:04 PM Post #15,011 of 21,761
Quote:
Jgray picked a really great theme. A lot of potential there for fun sampling / samples (Girl Talk anyone?) or cover songs. Or hell, even some badass hurdy gurdy tracks.

Completely out of your mien I'm sure but I would vote for a track from this.

One of the most fascinating in not outright beguiling albums I've ever listened to. As a blend of ancient and new, music and cultures, it would be hard to find something to equal this.

Jun 22, 2013 at 6:38 PM Post #15,014 of 21,761
Quote:

Completely out of your mien I'm sure but I would vote for a track from this.

One of the most fascinating in not outright beguiling albums I've ever listened to. As a blend of ancient and new, music and cultures, it would be hard to find something to equal this.

Out of my mien? How so? I listen to pianists. Just this morning I was listening to Lubomyr Melnyk's newest album.

When it comes to blending old and new cultures, one of my favorite albums is The Habibiyya's If Man But Knew (1972). It's really an incredible album, with strong Moroccan influences. In fact the band members, from the UK, became members of a sufic order during their travels.

There's a nice translation of "The Eyewitness" in the notes below the video on YouTube. Really, I have fond memories of listening to this music when I was stressed out in grad. school. It has a really calming effect, but it's still engaging and not transitory like a lot of New Age fluff. A beautiful marriage of two different worlds, or rather an interpretation of an old world through the eyes of newcomers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back