The Decware TABOO MK 111 Thread
Jul 11, 2013 at 7:23 AM Post #916 of 2,115
Quote:
Congrats negura! The black on black looks great! Welcome to the club and I sure you won't be tempted by the soon to be available NEW and EXCITING CSP3+...
evil_smiley.gif

Damn you! 
smile.gif
 I've placed an order for the CSP as I am not thrilled with adding the solid state preamp in the chain, although as I said adding a preamp does kick things up a notch with speakers. But what it also does, it takes away from the Taboo magic. I am actually preferring to listen to the Taboo on its own for the sound signature at the moment.

Jul 11, 2013 at 7:43 AM Post #917 of 2,115
I am not an engineer, so I have no idea about the science of different tubes. However, each does provide their own sonic signature. Sometimes it is a subtle difference. Once in a while you will find one that makes things ..right.. I am very pleased with my current configuration so I find I don't roll a lot now.

Jul 11, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #918 of 2,115
So has anyone figured a good quick way to connect/disconnect the speakers when you only want to listen to headphones on the Taboo? Anything clever like a small switchbox/whatever that won't pollute the sound?
Wife/neighboors aren't that much into metal music I'm afraid.

Jul 11, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #919 of 2,115
Got my CSP2+ today to go with my Taboo 3.  Haven't listened long enough to know for sure whether or not I like the Taboo better with or without it but I am leaning toward with...

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to set the various gain pots for the best sound?  The CSP2+ has input and output pots in addition to the Alps volume control and my Taboo has a stepped attenuator in addition to the two output gain pots.  My first thought was that the Alps volume control might be the weakest link (so I planned to set it wide open) , certainly not as clean as the Taboo attenuator but then the preamp came and I realized it had input/output pots which probably aren't as high a quality as either volume control.

Any help greatly appreciated!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 11, 2013 at 6:19 PM Post #920 of 2,115
So has anyone figured a good quick way to connect/disconnect the speakers when you only want to listen to headphones on the Taboo? Anything clever like a small switchbox/whatever that won't pollute the sound?
Wife/neighboors aren't that much into metal music I'm afraid.

I use banana plugs for quick speaker removal. Early AM listening needs to be quiet.

Jul 11, 2013 at 6:21 PM Post #921 of 2,115
Got my CSP2+ today to go with my Taboo 3.  Haven't listened long enough to know for sure whether or not I like the Taboo better with or without it but I am leaning toward with...

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to set the various gain pots for the best sound?  The CSP2+ has input and output pots in addition to the Alps volume control and my Taboo has a stepped attenuator in addition to the two output gain pots.  My first thought was that the Alps volume control might be the weakest link (so I planned to set it wide open) , certainly not as clean as the Taboo attenuator but then the preamp came and I realized it had input/output pots which probably aren't as high a quality as either volume control.

Any help greatly appreciated! :)

I spent several listening sessions playing with the CSP2+ settings and finally found what worked for me. I have the Taboo attenuator at max so the CSP2+ controls all volume.

Jul 11, 2013 at 10:25 PM Post #923 of 2,115
Quote:
Was that the most convenient or best sounding?

I wonder if it will matter that my Taboo has a higher quality volume control than the CSP2+ ?

Most convenient and best sounding. I am not going to drop $2700 on amps and ham string them for convenience. The benefit of not having the stepped attenuator is being able to listen at any volume level without constraint of a step. 

Jul 11, 2013 at 11:08 PM Post #924 of 2,115
I just set mine up the same way and agree 100%.

I think the best way to go is the Taboo fully open with the CSP2+ controlling volume.  Its sounding pretty good now even though the new tubes I put in are far from broken in.

Thanks for the tip.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 11, 2013 at 11:50 PM Post #925 of 2,115
Quote:
I just set mine up the same way and agree 100%.

I think the best way to go is the Taboo fully open with the CSP2+ controlling volume.  Its sounding pretty good now even though the new tubes I put in are far from broken in.

Thanks for the tip.
smily_headphones1.gif

beerchug.gif

Jul 12, 2013 at 12:17 AM Post #926 of 2,115
I need a favor, and thought I'd ask it here since this thread seems to be getting a lot of posts from people who may know what I need to know.

If anyone here has a CSP2+ with the Beeswax cap's, could you peek under the hood and tell me what the value is. The film coupling cap's in
mine are stock, and are .68uF, but the Jensen cap's only come in .47uF and 1.0uF.

Thanks.

Jul 12, 2013 at 3:26 AM Post #927 of 2,115
I don't think the beeswax version has been released yet. Might be worth checking the decware forums - link at decware's site.

Jul 12, 2013 at 7:15 AM Post #928 of 2,115
Quote:
I don't think the beeswax version has been released yet. Might be worth checking the decware forums - link at decware's site.

+1

Jul 12, 2013 at 8:19 AM Post #929 of 2,115
Quote:
I need a favor, and thought I'd ask it here since this thread seems to be getting a lot of posts from people who may know what I need to know.

If anyone here has a CSP2+ with the Beeswax cap's, could you peek under the hood and tell me what the value is. The film coupling cap's in
mine are stock, and are .68uF, but the Jensen cap's only come in .47uF and 1.0uF.

Thanks.

Do you have the CSP2+? Mine came with 0.33uf, not Beeswax though. Is this the cap on the pins 1/7 of output tubes? or the output cap to preamp?
The value in Morgan jones headphone amp (similar design) is 0.47uf.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back