The Decware TABOO MK 111 Thread
Jul 10, 2013 at 2:44 PM Post #903 of 2,115
Yeah that looks fantastic.

Jul 10, 2013 at 3:22 PM Post #904 of 2,115
I just had to get my speakers on the Taboo. These are 96db Horn Loaded, bespoke British design.

First impressions:
Volume wise, Taboo drives them to fill the room with no problems and it gets very loud. Definetely louder than my listening levels.
I happen to be able to leverage the preamp inside the Burson Conductor which is supposed to be a very capable one. Using the preamp output + the Taboo it's simply magic. You get clearly better dynamics, details, better defined soundstaging and imaging and of course even more volume. I think a good preamp is very worthwhile when using the Taboo with speakers. I have not had the time to decide whether I prefer the preamp out with headphones and it's way too early for this assessment. 

But since I am also using the speakers I am now also very tempted by the CSP. Decisions, decisions...

The untidy side of my setup:

Jul 10, 2013 at 3:27 PM Post #905 of 2,115
I just had to get my speakers on the Taboo. These are 96db Horn Loaded, bespoke British design.

First impressions:
Volume wise, Taboo drives them to fill the room with no problems and probably significantly louder than I would prefer to listen regularly.
I happen to be able to leverage the preamp inside the Burson Conductor which is supposed to be a very capable one. Using the preamp output + the Taboo it's simply magic. You get clearly better dynamics, details, better defined soundstaging and imaging and of course even more volume. I think a good preamp is very worthwhile when using the Taboo with speakers. I have not had the time to decide whether I prefer the preamp out with headphones and it's way too early for this assessment. 

But since I am also using the speakers I am now also very tempted by the CSP. Decisions, decisions...

The untidy side of my setup:

Looks very inviting. I wanna hear.

Jul 10, 2013 at 4:15 PM Post #907 of 2,115
Jul 10, 2013 at 4:16 PM Post #908 of 2,115
Quote:
Probably old news to some, but thought to share some pics.

Congrats negura! The black on black looks great! Welcome to the club and I sure you won't be tempted by the soon to be available NEW and EXCITING CSP3+...
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 10, 2013 at 5:36 PM Post #909 of 2,115
Quote:
Congrats negura! The black on black looks great! Welcome to the club and I sure you won't be tempted by the soon to be available NEW and EXCITING CSP3+...
evil_smiley.gif

Thanks bud. Good day to have to work from home today. 
evil_smiley.gif
 The wife asked for impressions about the Taboo earlier on. I was pleased to be able to invite her to hear it herself without having to take my headphones off. She was very assertive, I think there were a few wows and she thought the Soloist sounds muddy and "unclear" in comparison. She also loved the bass on the Taboo. That was with the LCD-3s, apparently her new favourite headphones.... 
rolleyes.gif

Jul 10, 2013 at 5:40 PM Post #910 of 2,115
Quote:
Quote:
evil_smiley.gif

Thanks bud. Good day to have to work from home today. 
evil_smiley.gif
 My wife asked for impressions about the Taboo earlier on. I was pleased to be able to invite her to hear it herself without having to take my headphones off. She was very assertive, I think there were a few wows and she thought the Soloist sounds muddy and "unclear" in comparison. She also loved the bass on the Taboo. That was with the LCD-3s, apparently her new favourite headphones.... 
rolleyes.gif

Soooooo.....His and Hers pairs of LCD-3's?  
biggrin.gif

Jul 10, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #912 of 2,115
Mine....My Own....My PRECIOUS!!

Jul 10, 2013 at 10:46 PM Post #914 of 2,115
Jul 11, 2013 at 6:46 AM Post #915 of 2,115
Gotta ask...there's a ton of people that hear zero difference between rectifiers, be it an SS diode or tube.  Others as has been discussed here can hear differences.  Is this something to do with the fact that the voltages change OR are we talking that if we have an amp that uses say, 5AR4 type rectifier tube, there is an audible difference between different 5AR4's that are tested/spec out identically, but simply sound different?

I have heard a great difference between SS and tubed rectification but do not know if it is a result of voltage changes at the circuit itself...like if I used a different resistor value in my circuit, I'm sure to hear the same kind of sound difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back