The Decware TABOO MK 111 Thread
May 19, 2013 at 11:52 PM Post #631 of 2,115
Quote:
OPR8R,

Does this mean that you have kept it ON or OFF since the first day? Also, which headphone outputs are you using?

I keep Old Lucid turned ON (and New Lucid OFF).

To my ears, the new mode sounds unnatural with most of the music to which I listen: like I'm always in a cathedral, except there's no echo.  The old mode sounds more or less natural.  For the last day or so, I've been using 4-pin XLR connector, but I thought old mode was the way to go with the single-ended connector as well.  It seems like a few people who have recently received their Taboo 3 prefer the new mode though, so take that with a grain of salt. 
size]

May 20, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #632 of 2,115
I just realized I hadn't really spent any time with Lucid mode settings with the balanced cable.  When I got my cable back from Steve (Eddy) I just plugged it in and went.  It sounded the way I expected, more open and detailed than the stock cable so I just kept listening, never touching the Lucid switches.

I fiddled with Lucid modes for a few minutes, a few minutes ago.  It might be that a balanced cable (4-pin XLR) opens the soundstage of the Taboo to the point of sounding like the old Lucid mode, even with it in the off position.  New Lucid mode isn't as unnatural sounding, though I still prefer the sound of the old mode. I need to spend more than 5 hurried minutes, but I was a bit surprised by what I heard in my 5 minute experiment.

May 21, 2013 at 6:18 AM Post #634 of 2,115
Argh I'm really tempted to order one of these while the 200 USD discount is still going. I even have permission from my gf! I'm just dreading the long wait and the killer import taxes...

Does anyone have experience with it and the HE-500?

May 21, 2013 at 9:14 AM Post #635 of 2,115
I have not heard of anyone with a Taboo MK III owing the HE-500's yet. However, at 38 ohms, the HE-500 should match nicely with the Taboo. Remember it was designed with Planer's in mind.

May 21, 2013 at 9:28 AM Post #636 of 2,115
Yep that's what I'm hoping!  And if it doesn't work out, I guess I'll just have to buy myself an LCD-3.  :wink:

May 21, 2013 at 10:56 AM Post #637 of 2,115
Quote:
Yep that's what I'm hoping!  And if it doesn't work out, I guess I'll just have to buy myself an LCD-3.  :wink:

My theory is a really good amplifier that's tuned to be neutral should work well with any heapdhones. The advantage of a tube amp is that you can fine tune it to your sound preference with non-stock tubes.  I am still weeks away from confirming this with the Taboo though. :)

May 21, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #638 of 2,115
Ok so one more potentially silly question.  I have some decent (not expensive) little Monitor Audio BX2 speakers that are 90db (and 8 ohms).  Decware recommend 94db or higher, at least for 'large listening rooms'.  Considering that I won't ever need to play loud, do you folks think that the Taboo will play nicely with my speakers?

LOL I almost finalised my order today but then got scared.  My poor bank account...

May 21, 2013 at 4:31 PM Post #639 of 2,115
Quote:
Ok so one more potentially silly question.  I have some decent (not expensive) little Monitor Audio BX2 speakers that are 90db (and 8 ohms).  Decware recommend 94db or higher, at least for 'large listening rooms'.  Considering that I won't ever need to play loud, do you folks think that the Taboo will play nicely with my speakers?

LOL I almost finalised my order today but then got scared.  My poor bank account...

It played the 88DB Polks but not loud. I would recommend 94DB speakers for it to work properly. If you have a large room a 90DB speaker will not get loud at the Mk111 maxed out. I will be reviewing the Omega 3T with the Mk111. 

May 21, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #641 of 2,115
Quote:
Argh I'm really tempted to order one of these while the 200 USD discount is still going. I even have permission from my gf! I'm just dreading the long wait and the killer import taxes...

Does anyone have experience with it and the HE-500?

Quote:
I have not heard of anyone with a Taboo MK III owing the HE-500's yet. However, at 38 ohms, the HE-500 should match nicely with the Taboo. Remember it was designed with Planer's in mind.

I have the HE500's and have listened a little with it.  There is an issue with lucid mode turned off with a weird ringing.  It seems to work just fine with old and new mode turned on.  I have been mostly listening to my HD800's, though.  I will try to get some more time with the HE500's and see what I think.

May 21, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #642 of 2,115
Quote:

I have the HE500's and have listened a little with it.  There is an issue with lucid mode turned off with a weird ringing.  It seems to work just fine with old and new mode turned on.  I have been mostly listening to my HD800's, though.  I will try to get some more time with the HE500's and see what I think.

Is it quite normal the Taboo is a bit fiddly like that, as it seems there's a bit of confusion regarding wiring, switches, artifacts etc?
Does it at least work properly when both Lucid modes are off?

May 21, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #643 of 2,115
Quote:

Is it quite normal the Taboo is a bit fiddly like that, as it seems there's a bit of confusion regarding wiring, switches, artifacts etc?

No, with both switches off is when I get the weird ringing at medium level, it goes away with either or both switches turned on.
I prefer to have old lucid mode on, so it is not a huge issue.  I also am finding that I would listen at a lower level than when the noise starts, too.  So again, it is not a huge issue.

May 21, 2013 at 8:51 PM Post #644 of 2,115
So, I've casually been looking for tubes to roll. I'm finding the nicer 6922 variants to be a bit pricey.  Like, I want to try one of those Amperex PQ's but they can be like $175 each!  Anyone have/try one of these?

May 21, 2013 at 10:29 PM Post #645 of 2,115
Quote:

Quote:
No, with both switches off is when I get the weird ringing at medium level, it goes away with either or both switches turned on.
I prefer to have old lucid mode on, so it is not a huge issue.  I also am finding that I would listen at a lower level than when the noise starts, too.  So again, it is not a huge issue.

Have you contacted Decware about the ringing? I'm getting a little anxious about the amp being 'fiddly'.

I wonder if Steve or a rep from Decware monitor this thread? It would be really helpful for Q&As like in some of the other threads on HF.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back