The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!)
May 6, 2014 at 5:23 PM Post #4,711 of 35,373
I must admit, given I do virtually all of my tv streaming from PS3 or computer, something like this DSS for cheap seems like something I should play with...

Worst comes to worst, I get a toy I don't use much, wouldn't be the first.  Which reminds me...  I should sell/gift one or two of my tablets.

May 6, 2014 at 5:53 PM Post #4,713 of 35,373
  I must admit, given I do virtually all of my tv streaming from PS3 or computer, something like this DSS for cheap seems like something I should play with...

Worst comes to worst, I get a toy I don't use much, wouldn't be the first.  Which reminds me...  I should sell/gift one or two of my tablets.

Per the MLE guide, one of the weaknesses of the DSS is that it doesn't have an integrated mic port.  But if you're just using it for audio (like for movies and single-player games), it's a heck of a bargain.

May 6, 2014 at 5:58 PM Post #4,714 of 35,373
My PS3 is my 3d blu ray player, as well as 4 different app streamers I use, so I'd probably see zero downside to the lack of mic.  Thank you for the heads up

May 6, 2014 at 7:02 PM Post #4,715 of 35,373
Just FYI, she had to go to another location, apparently the original location told her the pair they had is part of the magnolia and not regular best buy pair. The reason the other location has them at $150 is because it's a pair that best buy sells inside of the magnolia section.

Okay d600 went through at $150. Apparently that location had 3 in stock. Let's see if they are worth it at $150.

May 6, 2014 at 7:34 PM Post #4,717 of 35,373
Everyone please post impressions! I'm in Houston and have found some stores that have them in stock but have not gotten a chance to go check them out. I really don't NEED these but... It's such a good deal!

I only had a chance to listen for a few minutes last night, but first impressions are bass!  Very controlled bass with lots of quantity.  Mids and highs were a bit muted compared to all that bass.  I didn't find the sound signature to my liking, considering I'm in love with my Q701's sparkle and clarity.

But they're still new and I've heard they settle in a bit.  More impressions later.

EDIT - Oh yeah, and really good isolation.  I could barely hear my Cherry MX Blue keyboard with these on, and that was without the music playing.

May 6, 2014 at 7:34 PM Post #4,718 of 35,373
@Evshrug
 is working on a video comparing the different virtual surround processors for the consoles (DSS, Recon, Mixamp).  I can't speak to the DSS specifically, but virtual surround in general works very well.

BTW, I know that in the MLE thread, people say to get the original DSS instead of the DSS2 but I can't recall why.

For getting it working on the console, it's relatively plug and play.  Just make sure your audio output is set to Dolby.

Thanks for the name drop!

The videos are more "setup" and wiring demonstrations; as far as the actual review of sound, those are pretty much already in my "if I knew then..." Journal linked in my signature.

The DSS2 uses headphone surround processing by Cirrus Logic. It also has a little bit of adjustment (speaker "angles"), but usually there's just one that works well. There was two people on Mad's thread (while I've been there) who owned a DSS2 and liked it, back then Mad Lust Envy only liked Dolby Headphone and recommended against other options. There was also a misleading Amazon review of the DSS2 where one guy said it only processes 4 channels of direction... That happened because of a misleading photo, in truth both versions take a 5.1 Dolby input and process surround, calculating directions inbetween channels (like directly behind or in front).

I haven't heard a DSS2, but I would easily pick the DSS because it's about half the cost or better.

May 6, 2014 at 7:35 PM Post #4,719 of 35,373

Okay d600 went through at $150. Apparently that location had 3 in stock. Let's see if they are worth it at $150

Everyone please post impressions! I'm in Houston and have found some stores that have them in stock but have not gotten a chance to go check them out. I really don't NEED these but... It's such a good deal!

Just read some reviews.

All I can say is:
Not forgiving, annoying treble peak, fatiguing for me
Has a good amount of bass
Colored sound
Good soundstage
Great Isolation

I prefer M50's to these though. 

May 6, 2014 at 7:47 PM Post #4,721 of 35,373

Just got a pair of new Denon AH-D600s for $149.99 at my local Best Buy / Magnolia store...their still $400 on bestbuy.com so I guess it's an in-store deal.

Thanks for posting this, I scored a pair new sealed at the Ocoee, FL store. (They are gone in the whole Orlando area)

Oh god, I'm sorry for any other person who wanted it in my area because I took two. 

May 6, 2014 at 7:48 PM Post #4,722 of 35,373
I haven't heard a DSS2, but I would easily pick the DSS because it's about half the cost or better.

I have scored multiple DSS from eBay for less than $25 shipped, those things never fail and are well built. (My Son uses one with his PS4 and does have chat capability when using the Rocketfish headset cable or Tritton cable.

May 6, 2014 at 7:49 PM Post #4,723 of 35,373

The friend I gave 'em to told me that there's a good amount of bass, they seal very well, are a bit heavy but comfortable, and he mentioned the highs seem louder than everything else, but once the rest kicks in it balances well. So a bit of a treble spike I guess?

His source is pretty trashy though, gonna see what he thinks when he grabs a good setup. Or might borrow them and try them with my Uber Bifrost + Asgard2 after he burns them in

May 6, 2014 at 8:01 PM Post #4,724 of 35,373
I only had a chance to listen for a few minutes last night, but first impressions are bass!  Very controlled bass with lots of quantity.  Mids and highs were a bit muted compared to all that bass.  I didn't find the sound signature to my liking, considering I'm in love with my Q701's sparkle and clarity.

But they're still new and I've heard they settle in a bit.  More impressions later.

EDIT - Oh yeah, and really good isolation.  I could barely hear my Cherry MX Blue keyboard with these on, and that was without the music playing.

+1 and somewhat agree with fuzzykiwi.

I think these might go back, not what I expected even at $150. I'm going to give it a little but more time.
I think it sort of boil down to what headphone you are coming from and what you are looking for. It sort of have a typical mainstream sound to them, not sure how to describe it.
Most heavier bass headphone seem to have a v shape to them to add treble to balance out the bass. These seem to not, treble is there, but seem peaky and off and lack balance. Maybe I need more time to adjust.

I went out there to compare them to the P7, k545, hd558 and I prefer all those over the d600. I also compared them to the hd598 which I own. Comfort wise they are comfortable but bulky width wise. Fit is fine also even though it's on the smallest setting. That's a quick impression. The price is good if you don't own other headphone in $200+, IMO of course

Off to waiting for next big deal :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back