The Darkvoice/La Figaro 332C and 332S Impressions/Discussion Thread
Jan 21, 2010 at 2:35 PM Post #76 of 454
There should be no hum. First thing to check are the tubes. If you're still running stock, then change the original tubes: they're Chinese and very unreliable. If you've just changed the tubes, there could be some hum as the new tubes burn in, but if that continues you may have a faulty tube. If you're getting hum in a particular channel, for instance the left channel, swap the tubes around and if the hum moves to the right channel then you know you've a faulty tube.

Jan 21, 2010 at 7:03 PM Post #78 of 454
The DV 332 has preamp out.

Jan 21, 2010 at 10:20 PM Post #79 of 454
The preamp is really bad though, I tried it today and there was no bass whatsoever.

Jan 22, 2010 at 7:26 PM Post #80 of 454
My 332S came in this afternoon and after a tube issue (I broke one of the stock tubes) I shoved some 6Ak5 tubes in. The bass is there but the mid's are equally pronounced along with the high's. Everything seems so balanced and detailed. The amp itself looks amazing with it's silver body with grey accent's it goes along with hd650's perfectly.

edit: a couple of more things to add

-little bit of tube hum or elteast I think? it's not effected by the volume.
-runs cooler then my 336i

Jan 22, 2010 at 9:21 PM Post #81 of 454
I've got my La Figaro 332C today !
beerchug.gif

This as an awesome amp ! It sounds amazing, and when I've burned it in some more it will sound even better....

One thing I have learned is that you never should touch the amp (except the volume knob) It's VERY hot
biggrin.gif
Already burned my self some times now... The whole amp is like a heatsink...

I have a question... I've heard a lot of people talking good about the Ericsson LM 403b tubes, I don't like too bright or harsh sound... Are those bright ?? I like the sound signature of the tubes I use now (Philips ECG NOS 5654W), but everybody says that LM 403b is the best tube they have heard...

Jan 22, 2010 at 9:46 PM Post #82 of 454
ouch, the 332C is too hot to touch. My old DC332 was warm/hot - butt you couldd touch the chassis without fear of burnin!

Jan 22, 2010 at 10:35 PM Post #83 of 454
Congrats, Deltaspirit and Ozer on your new amps. A blow by blow account of the burning in process would be great. The old DV 3322 sound terrible out of the box and needed about 100hrs or so before it sounded anyway decent.

Some pics would be nice also.
tongue.gif

The 403Bs have exceptional clarity, but they can sound just a tad bass light. In the wrong set-up they could sound bright, but with the right set-up it's heaven on earth.

Jan 22, 2010 at 10:59 PM Post #84 of 454
Quote:

Originally Posted by Godkin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrats, Deltaspirit and Ozer on your new amps. A blow by blow account of the burning in process would be great. The old DV 3322 sound terrible out of the box and needed about 100hrs or so before it sounded anyway decent.

Some pics would be nice also.
tongue.gif

The 403Bs have exceptional clarity, but they can sound just a tad bass light. In the wrong set-up they could sound bright, but with the right set-up it's heaven on earth.

That's a good idea, might aswell get my first detailed impressions in before I feel any changes. I guess I'll update this post as there is more burn in. FYI I have not listened to my 336i in a few weeks since I sold it, so I cannot do a head to head comparision. I will simply post the changes that I feel happen after whatever amount of time.

-First impressions are very good with everything stock on this amp except 6AK5 signal tubes. I put on a very familiar album The Hives - Tyrannosaurus Hives (2004) and notice how tight and pronounced the bass is, the hd650 still keeps it's well known sound signature and is not bright like the hd600 was (imo). Overall it still has that darkvoice, warm tube feel while stepping it up and providing a overall better listeing experience while staying true to it's roots. My only wish is for the bass to tighten up some MORE.

Jan 23, 2010 at 10:46 AM Post #86 of 454
A mere 3 days after shipping from Hong Kong, my 332S safely arrived too. Personally, I think Figaro did a fantastic design job. It looks great from all angles. Interesting to those who like to see technical details and 'muscular', but also clean: there are no design thrills that are not related to function. If this was a motorbike, it would be a Ducati Monster. No I don't have one :). Just look at the photo’s and decide for yourself if you like it. Will post better ones later.

The built quality is very good. The only flaw mine has is a minor gap between the frontface and top plate that is only noticeable because all the rest is pristine looking. One time I'll open it up (that always happens
smile_phones.gif
) and then I'll check if I can correct that. For this price range, fantastic 'pride of ownership'.

It's been up and running now for about 6 hours. Reading the 3322 thread, I expected some unbareable sounds to emerge from the unit, but no, it's playing really really well! The highs could be sweeter still and the bass tighter, but I kept my Sennheiser 650 on all the time without listening fatigue. Very transparent and spatial, miles better than what I got from my Dared MP5 (that will go to my sons room and amp some small speakers). Did they give these first 332S units shipping to Head-Fi members some running in already? Furthermore: the tubes are not stock Chinese. The amplifier tubes it came with are Russian 6Ж1П (Voskod '71). The -EB version thereof was rated highly in the Little Dot III review by Penchum. The recitifier tubes were chinese, I replaced these with the Svetlana's. I ordered Ericsson 403B 2 weeks ago but they are not in yet. I leave it at this for now, any more detail on the sound would be too early. There is some hum in mine too. Not too much, but still I hope this will go away when the unit (are the rectifiers the main problem?) is fully run in.

Playing Holly Cole - Temptation now. Sounds gooooood..... And did I mention it looks fantastic? Yep, the big-boy-great-new-toy-feeling is there.

Jan 23, 2010 at 10:58 AM Post #87 of 454
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ozer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One thing I have learned is that you never should touch the amp (except the volume knob) It's VERY hot
biggrin.gif
Already burned my self some times now... The whole amp is like a heatsink....

My 332S has a 240V transformer, the real voltage is about 225v here. Mine does run warm - like a really hot shower, so I guess around 40 degrees; ambient temp is 20. So warm yes but certainly not hot.

Jan 23, 2010 at 11:04 AM Post #88 of 454
Congrats on your new amps guys. good to see the first amps are arriving safely.
for those of you that are interested in a head-to-head comparison: arie123 and myself will have a meeting for comparing the 3322 and the 332s as soon as his amp finishes burning in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back