The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Feb 7, 2022 at 6:30 AM Post #3,871 of 6,351
It just means by the time you're 40, you'll go back and edit all the HD 800 posts you made :D

I'm close to 60 and I still cannot tolerate the HD 800s (plural, not S) treble peak on most music.
It'll be a shocker - especially to myself - if I ever consider the HD 800 (the O.G. or "S") a great headphone for dance music. :sweat_smile:

I still remember my first impression of the HD 800 all those years ago - "Ewww, where's the bass? Owww, the treble!" :joy:

Feb 7, 2022 at 7:04 AM Post #3,872 of 6,351
Woah, I've not been on Head-Fi for a few days - it feels like a really long time, though.

How's everybody doing? Has anyone purchased a new headphone or audio product? :)
Fostex TH900MK1 Lawton Mod Lvl 1 is going to arrive today in my house here in Brazil.
To say I'm excited is an understatement.
Big fan of your posts as you're so articulate and I love EDM too (99,99% of my play time since 20 years ago) .
I think I'm in for a treat with the TH900.

Feb 7, 2022 at 12:10 PM Post #3,873 of 6,351
Woah, I've not been on Head-Fi for a few days - it feels like a really long time, though.

How's everybody doing? Has anyone purchased a new headphone or audio product? :)

How bad were the withdrawal symptoms? :beyersmile:

Feb 7, 2022 at 12:38 PM Post #3,874 of 6,351
Feb 7, 2022 at 4:19 PM Post #3,875 of 6,351
1644268742568.png

Feb 7, 2022 at 7:31 PM Post #3,878 of 6,351

I liked the Magni's, but they left me wanting more, and I happened across these...

These headphones are absolutely gorgeous. They have a slightly relaxed sound but still full of detail. Bass extends well but isn't overpowered. Mids and highs seem really well balanced, highs aren't harsh at all. Soundstage and imaging is impressive for a closed back headphone.

They feel surprisingly light on the head given their size. The ear cups are slightly shallow IMO, but not to the point it's uncomfortable for me.

Looking forward to lots of enjoyment out of these.

20220207_181701.jpg

Feb 7, 2022 at 7:42 PM Post #3,879 of 6,351
Alright, I've narrowed my options down to three. Unfortunately, I have no opportunity to listen to any of them.
Beyerdynamic T5 3rd
Focal Radiance
Kennerton Gjallarhorn GH40
I'm a rock and metal kinda guy, with some random 80s pop songs thrown into the mix.

I prefer a slightly dark signature. Just no hot peaks or overly bright spots. Smooth is the word I'm looking for, but still appreciate some extension up top. The upper mids can make or break a headphone for me.
I like my mids slightly elevated/forward, clear and clean. I need to hear that crunch from electric guitars. Male vocals should come across with some authority, though I don't want them to be out in front. Backup vocals and guitars should be on a level playing field. Piano, keyboards, and brass need to sound natural.
I like some warmth in the lower mids. Not overly so, but I do like some light syrup in this region. I'll take attack over decay, but I really want some of both. Nothing overly aggressive, but definitely not reserved. No bleed, no bloat.
I want to feel that kick drum. Doesn't need to hit like a hammer though. I also really like to hear and feel that growl from the bass guitar. I prefer sub bass elevated North of neutral, but nothing that loses focus or becomes a distraction.
Definitely nothing that's going to throw details in my face, but still moderately detailed. I have some rare 80s hair metal that I listen to a lot, and we all know how those recordings can be. I'd also prefer above average resolving capabilities, but not anything too crazy.
Based on the genre and my preferences, which of these 3 models would you be most inclined to grab? And believe me, I'm all ears for any other recommendations - non planar please.

Feb 7, 2022 at 7:47 PM Post #3,880 of 6,351
Alright, I've narrowed my options down to three. Unfortunately, I have no opportunity to listen to any of them.
Beyerdynamic T5 3rd
Focal Radiance
Kennerton Gjallarhorn GH40
I'm a rock and metal kinda guy, with some random 80s pop songs thrown into the mix.

I prefer a slightly dark signature. Just no hot peaks or overly bright spots. Smooth is the word I'm looking for, but still appreciate some extension up top. The upper mids can make or break a headphone for me.
I like my mids slightly elevated/forward, clear and clean. I need to hear that crunch from electric guitars. Male vocals should come across with some authority, though I don't want them to be out in front. Backup vocals and guitars should be on a level playing field. Piano, keyboards, and brass need to sound natural.
I like some warmth in the lower mids. Not overly so, but I do like some light syrup in this region. I'll take attack over decay, but I really want some of both. Nothing overly aggressive, but definitely not reserved. No bleed, no bloat.
I want to feel that kick drum. Doesn't need to hit like a hammer though. I also really like to hear and feel that growl from the bass guitar. I prefer sub bass elevated North of neutral, but nothing that loses focus or becomes a distraction.
Definitely nothing that's going to throw details in my face, but still moderately detailed. I have some rare 80s hair metal that I listen to a lot, and we all know how those recordings can be. I'd also prefer above average resolving capabilities, but not anything too crazy.
Based on the genre and my preferences, which of these 3 models would you be most inclined to grab? And believe me, I'm all ears for any other recommendations - non planar please.

Based on listening to the Magni's and now the Rognir Dynamic, I would say the GH40 might be worth a try...I really like my Elegia (so much so with the focal house sound I'm now looking for Stellia), and the fit is great but even with the warmer sound signature of the Radiance (I haven't had the opportunity to try them) I think they might still be a bit more forward than you'd like based on your description. I've never heard any of the Beyerdynamic models so I can't comment on them.

Feb 7, 2022 at 7:50 PM Post #3,881 of 6,351
Based on listening to the Magni's and now the Rognir Dynamic, I would say the GH40 might be worth a try...I really like my Elegia (so much so with the focal house sound I'm now looking for Stellia), and the fit is great but even with the warmer sound signature of the Radiance (I haven't had the opportunity to try them) I think they might still be a bit more forward than you'd like based on your description. I've never heard any of the Beyerdynamic models so I can't comment on them.
Makes sense, and that is a concern I have with the Radiance. I need to wait until more reviews and impressions surface on the GH40.

Feb 8, 2022 at 11:03 AM Post #3,883 of 6,351
There is too much passion within this forum for “consensus”. 😁 Seriously though, it’s a competitive market for closed-backs around that price point.

Some good suggestions by others here, and I’d add the Shure SRH-1540 (it’s that company’s flagship closed-back).

You can get it for a little under $500 new, or a lot less used. High build quality and great included accessories- the one weak spot being the pleather layer on the headband cushioning, which may peel after a couple of years. But that’s easily covered up should that happen, and the ear pads do not share that problem- and are amazingly comfy and durable (and a spare pair is included!).

While it’s a slightly dark headphone sound-wise, it’s not overly so. Also, that warmth/slight skewing towards the lower frequencies also makes the Shure more forgiving of poorer recordings. It’s a fun headphone to listen to, with slight rolling-off in the treble- but in the best possible way, contributing to that more forgiving tendency.

Good luck in your search!
I love my SRH1540s. Just traded my AKG K812 headphones.

Feb 8, 2022 at 11:14 AM Post #3,884 of 6,351
I love my SRH1540s. Just traded my AKG K812 headphones.
I sold my K812 as well… didn’t use it anymore. I kept the K872 though, it’s closed brother.
And yes, the SRH1540 is a good suggestion in the 500,- price range, very nice headphone. Sold mine some time ago, but not because I didn’t like it.

Feb 8, 2022 at 11:16 AM Post #3,885 of 6,351
I sold my K812 as well… didn’t use it anymore. I kept the K872 though, it’s closed brother.
And yes, the SRH1540 is a good suggestion in the 500,- price range, very nice headphone. Sold mine some time ago, but not because I didn’t like it.
I really liked K812, but was finding most of my listening to be closed back. I used to own K872. I am 100% portable. No stereo, no speakers, no desktop amp. I am considering ATH-MSR7B also. DAPs Sony NW-WM1Z, Sony NW-WM1A, and LPGT.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back