The choices you make.
Nov 12, 2002 at 5:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

x1lexure

100+ Head-Fier
You all can discuss what I was discussing here. Hopefully this wont get closed for some unannounced reason. Ahem I don't feel like starting, To tired.

I have discussed with Dang my problems and still do not feel them resolved however I will start a new thread. I am not going to allow my personal anger and emotions towards others remarks make me post something stupid this time.

This will be a civil discussion. :
biggrin.gif
oes shame hand signal towards crown and then towards self in a mocking manner::

Elipsis or whoever... I'd like you to post the merits of drinking alcohol.

Nov 12, 2002 at 5:54 AM Post #3 of 39
I'd rather talk about the merits of personal choice, if that's OK.

My point is simple. I'm an adult with no violent tendencies. When I drink alcohol, I don't try to drive, operate heavy machinery or use firearms. I drink responsibly and know my limits, in the confines of my house or designated drinking areas. I personally weigh up the enjoyment I derive from drinking against the possible health risks, and choose accordingly. So what's the problem with that?

Can't adults decide for themselves what's best for them? It doesn't affect anyone else, since I'm not violent or obnoxious after I drink. Worst case, I might be a little more outgoing and friendly, but by no means vulgar or annoying.

Nov 12, 2002 at 5:55 AM Post #4 of 39
How is this a lame base. I asked them a reasonable question I expect a reasonable answer, and I expect myself to have a reasonal rebuttal/reply. What the heck happened to discussion on here? First "we" can't talk about a company's public claims and now this? What is this board coming to?

Nov 12, 2002 at 6:14 AM Post #5 of 39
Here's what I'm saying...

Alcohol affects the way you think and react right? In your case it might not do much to you. (I still think it does but whatever.) But what about the others who it has a profound affect on? It's going affect the choices they make, what you hear, feel, hear,say and do, and the way you think. Isn't that going to affect the choice to drink responsibly, to weigh the pro and cons. They've introduced something into their body that affects what they would normally do. That just doesn't make sense to me.

Yes adults have the right to make choices. But sometimes those choices seem so stupid to me. Think about it. Pretend that I'm adult...pretty hard the way I've been acting recently, but anyway. I have decided I need something to do, and for some reason I have decided to go out and get some type of alcoholic beverage. I can't drink it in the car because that's DANGEROUS and illegal. Here's my first objection. I as an adult have decided to do something that would be dangerous if I wasn't in a
"protected" area. At home or with a/some sober person/people.
So I go home. I take a swig or a shot or whatever. The alcohol rushes through my body by my blood stream. It starts to affect my body. It affects my mind in ways something non-alcoholic wouldn't. I become "looser" or even friendly. But my ability to make choices has been changed. Perhaps my decision to only have one swig/shot/whatever is not important now. I don't think it can hurt me. I'm fine....I'm fine...I'm fine. Man I miss my friends I think I'll go see them...I get in the car and start to drive. Wham I hit a tree because my ability to react has been slowed by the alcohol running through my veins. My second objective comes here. Why would someone willingly ingest a substance alcoholic or otherwise that impairs my abilites to react to something. It just doesn't make sense to me. Anyway, I hope you read this cincerly, and don't just continue to focus on your rights to make choices.

Nov 12, 2002 at 6:18 AM Post #6 of 39
the practical reason : i can't remember a bad situation in my life due to alcohol. on the other hand,... no comment

the epicurian reason : seriously, how could you eat fish without white wine, cheese and meat without red wine, chocolated dessert without sweet wine, foie gras whithout Montbazillac, caviar without vodka (if only it could happens more than once all the 10 years
biggrin.gif
) ?

the cultural reason : if gastronomy is part of culture, then the guy who tries to forbid any alcohol on earth is a new Attila. just promote quality and moderation rather than mass consumption of ****ty beer.

another practical reason : an unusual mix of scotch and tonic (really few scotch and a lot of tonic, and even more ice) is the only thing allowing me to pass an entire night studying a course (only occasion i drink this btw); as i do everything in last minute, that 's pretty useful
wink.gif

Nov 12, 2002 at 6:23 AM Post #7 of 39
I'n not trying to enforce a no alcohol rule. I just wish they'd put a story about something horrible that happened because of alcohol on every alcoholic product. I mean I think if people seriously took a look at what they were dong they'd find it totally absurd to do it.

Nov 12, 2002 at 6:53 AM Post #8 of 39
I remember a friend of my parents when I was a kid. This lady had a baby and was trying to breast feed it. She could not produce enough milk to sustain the child. Her doctor recomended that she drink beer.
This lady was friend through the church my parents go to. Very strict religious ideas. There was never alcohol in our house until we started going to that church. The church folks thought there was a healthy benefit from wine with a meal.

I understand where you are coming from, being against alcohol. My mother has views similar to yours for very similar reasons. With age she has given up on convincing people that alcohol is evil. Actually she figured out that it's not about alcohol. I gave her more reasons to hate alcohol. Thankfully I am more into greed than having a "good" time. I was offered a choice when I was 25. Keep drinking like I had been and find a new job, or quit drinking and keep this job. I kept my job. That was almost 20 years ago. To be honest, getting suspended from my job was not the worst of it. But it was what got my attention enough to do some changes.

Yes, I do drink now. Just a little once in a while. I llike the quick relaxation that it induces in very small quantities.

Nov 12, 2002 at 7:23 AM Post #9 of 39
Alcohol doesn't kill people. Lack of oxygen to the brain ki... oh, wait.

x1lexure
In all seriousness, this simply isn't a decision you need or have to make yet for yourself, much less for anyone else. When you get to be 21, then you'll still be free to decide not to drink alcohol. Some folks give up meat and dairy too. You wanna talk about stuff that kills you? Try greasy ass fried chicken. Wanna talk about stupid risks? Ever get in a car on a major highway? These are all decisions you'll need to make some day. Don't get in such a hurry to make them before you're even of legal age to decide the other way.

Nov 12, 2002 at 8:34 AM Post #10 of 39
A little off topic, but yeah, my mom was talking to me tonight about how to help my little brother get in shape because he's sort of overweight, and I was like stop feeding him "greasy ass fried chicken" every night. She's like, "That has nothing to do with it! He doesn't eat much at all!" blah blah blah. I mean, what the heck...she gets quite defensive. We agreed he needs more exercise, but still, that stuff is b4d 4 j00... I can't eat that stuff anymore. My system has stopped accepting crap like pizza and fried chicken and Doritos. Whenever I eat it now, I get bad heart burn/indigestion. Oog =P (My mom got pizza for dinner tonight and I'm facing the repercussions as I type >_<)

Sorry, I'm tired, and reading that sort of lit a fuse...

More on topic, so basically what you're trying to do, x1lexure, is question why drinkers do what they do, drinking something they know will imapir their judgment? Wouldn't "why do smokers smoke" fall under this line of reasoning too? Why, knowing the risks involved, would anyone choose to smoke? Does smoking one cigarette impair your judgement on whether or not to have another? I think it's more of an addiction, but I've neither smoked nor drank...drunk...drinken...(whatever) before.

Nov 12, 2002 at 1:29 PM Post #11 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by x1lexure
Here's what I'm saying...

Alcohol affects the way you think and react right? In your case it might not do much to you. (I still think it does but whatever.) But what about the others who it has a profound affect on? It's going affect the choices they make, what you hear, feel, hear,say and do, and the way you think. Isn't that going to affect the choice to drink responsibly, to weigh the pro and cons. They've introduced something into their body that affects what they would normally do. That just doesn't make sense to me.

Like I care how it affects other people. If they're adults, they can choose for themselves. If their judgment is bad enough to get them into an unfortunate situation, that's sad, but not my problem. They're adults, and they have to deal with the consequences.

Quote:

Originally posted by x1lexure

Yes adults have the right to make choices. But sometimes those choices seem so stupid to me. Think about it. Pretend that I'm adult...pretty hard the way I've been acting recently, but anyway. I have decided I need something to do, and for some reason I have decided to go out and get some type of alcoholic beverage. I can't drink it in the car because that's DANGEROUS and illegal. Here's my first objection. I as an adult have decided to do something that would be dangerous if I wasn't in a
"protected" area. At home or with a/some sober person/people.
So I go home. I take a swig or a shot or whatever. The alcohol rushes through my body by my blood stream. It starts to affect my body. It affects my mind in ways something non-alcoholic wouldn't. I become "looser" or even friendly. But my ability to make choices has been changed. Perhaps my decision to only have one swig/shot/whatever is not important now. I don't think it can hurt me. I'm fine....I'm fine...I'm fine. Man I miss my friends I think I'll go see them...I get in the car and start to drive. Wham I hit a tree because my ability to react has been slowed by the alcohol running through my veins. My second objective comes here. Why would someone willingly ingest a substance alcoholic or otherwise that impairs my abilites to react to something. It just doesn't make sense to me. Anyway, I hope you read this cincerly, and don't just continue to focus on your rights to make choices.

I'm having a little trouble making sense of what you typed above, but I assume you are presenting a hypothetical situation in which your judgment is so badly impaired by alcohol that you do a stupid thing you wouldn't have done otherwise.

If you do that, congratulations, you're an idiot. See my passage above. I have more brains than that, and contrary to popular belief, they don't fly out my ear on the first, second or ninth drink. I could drink till I was falling down, but nothing could convince me to drive in anything but a sober state.

I understand where you're coming from, I really do. Alcohol IS a dangerous drug in the hands of idiots. But that fact does NOT give you the right to stomp around in threads where you're not welcome, trumpeting your message to the heavens. Round these parts we call it trolling. I hope sometime soon you realise that your 15 years of experience on this earth might not give you the authority to tell a bunch of sensible, responsible adults, many of them old enough to be your parents, what's good for them when they didn't ask to hear it.

Nov 12, 2002 at 1:39 PM Post #12 of 39
My grandpa learned a style of fighting where alcohol is a prequisite. He says it inceases threshold for pain and allows him to move with unpredictibility.

Though he said this style of fighting is not for fools who like the stuff. It takes discipline and a good sound mind.

Perhaps the real life moral is dont do any drugs if life goes real bad ... make something out of yourself however small
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 12, 2002 at 5:48 PM Post #14 of 39
One argument I believed for years was that if what you do only affects you and doesn't harm anyone else, you should be allowed to do it. This related to drinking, drug use, overeating, or whatever.

However, someone pointed out to me the huge medical costs associated with these vices...
.cancer, liver damage, diabetes etc.

Whether you have government health care or private medical insurance, the monitary burden put on these systems for medical treatment of vice-caused ailments is astronomical. This results in higher taxes or insurance premiums to everyone. So smoking induced lung cancer or whatever, does indeed impact other people where it hurts most....their wallets.

PS: I'm not exactly sure what this thread's even about but thought this comment might fit. If not, please disregard.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 12, 2002 at 5:49 PM Post #15 of 39
I have already made up my mind.

Some of you have made comments that making a choice like this is for later on. It's not. I can easily get almost any drug/alcohol/anything I want at school or at a party. That's the problems teens face today.

I'm trying to get people to think abut what they're doing to their bodies/lives. I already no that I will never touch the stuff. I'm not looking for others opinions. I'm trying to get them to think about those opinions. Why they have them and why they keep them. In almost all of your guys posts you hint towards the cons of drinking, but somehow still upstage them with the meager pros. I just don't understand why you do that.

Elipsis and what are you drinking? Watered down beer? This is science. After the very first one you'll be acting diffrently. How can you always know you'll never drive well drunk, after the ninth one? You can't tell me that without being mistaken.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back