The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
Aug 26, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #3,106 of 5,999
Technical M8 question for Michael -

Regarding the 4 pin XLR output-

Is it safe to bridge pins #2 and #4 in a balanced 4 pin > single ended adapter cable? I know some balanced amps can be damaged by the two grounds being connected. So it's best to ask.

This would be to use the M8 with line out level setting to drive an external amplifier. I know the sensible thing to do would to be use the 1/8 or 1/4 output, which are already a three conductor configuraton, but I would prefer the robustness of the XLR connector in this application, if possible. 

Let me know if this is okay. Thanks!

Aug 26, 2013 at 4:35 PM Post #3,107 of 5,999
Great video Jude!! It was presented beautifully. And it also validates a lot of my earlier impressions. This thing doesn't sound like a  portable device at all. It's a full desktop, battery powered,  desktop rig with excellent sound quality that fits in the palm of your hands. I've actually tried it as a dac only, and usb converter only as well. And the dac is really, really good. Beats my stage dac by a good margin, and caused me to sell my music streamer pro. As a usb converter, it made me realize just how long in the tooth my vlink is, wasn't even close.

There's been many products in the past that were feature rich, but those extra features most of the time resulted in a loss in overall sound quality. I was worried that this would be one of those products as well when I felt Michael was giving in to too many suggestions. But he really pulled it off and this product really shows his genius along with the rest of his team(have to give them credit too).

So congrats Michael on all of the recent publicity and the seemingly overwhelming number of orders. I guess all of the time and tons of money invested in this project is going to finally pay off.

Aug 26, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #3,108 of 5,999
Quote:
Great video Jude!! It was presented beautifully. And it also validates a lot of my earlier impressions. This thing doesn't sound like a  portable device at all. It's a full desktop, battery powered,  desktop rig with excellent sound quality that fits in the palm of your hands. I've actually tried it as a dac only, and usb converter only as well. And the dac is really, really good. Beats my stage dac by a good margin, and caused me to sell my music streamer pro. As a usb converter, it made me realize just how long in the tooth my vlink is, wasn't even close.

There's been many products in the past that were feature rich, but those extra features most of the time resulted in a loss in overall sound quality. I was worried that this would be one of those products as well when I felt Michael was giving in to too many suggestions. But he really pulled it off and this product really shows his genius along with the rest of his team(have to give them credit too).

So congrats Michael on all of the recent publicity and the seemingly overwhelming number of orders. I guess all of the time and tons of money invested in this project is going to finally pay off.

HERE HERE!!

GREAT video, and I can't wait until tomorrow!
My HiFi-M8 is supposed to arrive.

The video only made me jones for it even more!!
The plan was always to make a devise that could serve multiple purposes,
and I knew Michael would pull it off!!

Aug 26, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #3,110 of 5,999
Quote:
Technical M8 question for Michael -

Regarding the 4 pin XLR output-

Is it safe to bridge pins #2 and #4 in a balanced 4 pin > single ended adapter cable? I know some balanced amps can be damaged by the two grounds being connected. So it's best to ask.

This would be to use the M8 with line out level setting to drive an external amplifier. I know the sensible thing to do would to be use the 1/8 or 1/4 output, which are already a three conductor configuraton, but I would prefer the robustness of the XLR connector in this application, if possible. 

Let me know if this is okay. Thanks!

No problem, you should be fine. We have protection from that sort of thing in there. Can you tell me more about the type of cable you are using? We have heard requests for that scenario previously.

Aug 26, 2013 at 9:41 PM Post #3,111 of 5,999
No email from the lovely Stacie yet. Don't they know I'm jonesing? I'm not well. I just need a little bump, a little taste of HIFI-M8 and I'll be ok. Mostly I'm worked up cause mikemercer's getting his first. Ok not really. I just like to tease mikemercer. Plus I'm bored. And jonesing.

Aug 26, 2013 at 11:08 PM Post #3,112 of 5,999
Stacie is now a full time email processor. Or at least that's what she says. She complained that she is getting loads of email from pre-order customers per day and cannot get to all of it...

I will relay the message.

Aug 26, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #3,113 of 5,999
No problem, you should be fine. We have protection from that sort of thing in there. Can you tell me more about the type of cable you are using? We have heard requests for that scenario previously.

Hi Michael, thanks for the reply. The cable would be a DIY adapter that I would make here at home. A 4 pin male XLR on the M8 side, the other end would be two RCA connectors. This would allow me to use the M8 as DAC/pre-amp to my desktop tube amp (Decware Taboo mkIII).

The two ground signals in the cable would still be separated but the other amp shares a common ground signal, so effectively "shorting" the M8's grounds together at the tube amp's input. Just making sure this wouldn't damage the M8. Thanks again for answering!

And of course a standard 1/8 mini male to RCA cable would do exactly the same job, but I just have to be difficult. :wink:

Aug 26, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #3,114 of 5,999
Quote:
Stacie is now a full time email processor. Or at least that's what she says. She complained that she is getting loads of email from pre-order customers per day and cannot get to all of it...

I'm really excited and waiting mine to arrive, not to mention there are tons of people like me 
biggrin.gif

btw I ordered it from TTVJ audio. Are they receiving units from Centrance now? 

Aug 26, 2013 at 11:42 PM Post #3,115 of 5,999

Shucks, got the email, I'm stoked, I get to race mikemercer for fastest FedEx delivery! I feel bad you folks are still sending out emails and answering posts! Hard work is never done, that's for sure. I've always had great customer service from Centrance. Your fine reputation is earned and deserved. Please give Stacie an above and beyond award. Give one to yourself as well!

Aug 27, 2013 at 2:44 AM Post #3,116 of 5,999
Quote:

Headamp always have a uploaded locked spreadsheet with updated shipping status of their preorders. That way people just have to refer to that list.

Aug 27, 2013 at 7:50 AM Post #3,120 of 5,999
OP/ first page updated.

ty2u6uhe.jpg

Firev1 and I updated the first post with basically a mirror of the first post from the Hifi-M8 /LX impressions thread.

Hopefully once Judes video hits this might cut down on the more basic questions that new interested parties need answering but might annoy the longer term Hifi-M8'ers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back