The Car/Motorcycle/Motorsport/Anything fast enough to do something stupid in thread!
Sep 28, 2008 at 3:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1,511

nsx_23

Headphoneus Supremus
Starting this thread as a test to see whether there's enough interest within head-fi for a cars section for all of us petroheads out there
biggrin.gif
An F1 engine sounds as musical as a soprano singer.

Anyway, what kind of cars do people on this forum own? I had a Honda Jazz, but that got written off in a bad accident earlier in the year when I got crashed into buy some moron in his ute trying to run a red light.

Whos watching the F1 or WRC at the moment? What kind of racing series do people keep an eye on? I personally watch the rally event a lot, and DTM is always on my mind. I guess cars is why I choose to study engineering.

Sep 28, 2008 at 4:26 AM Post #2 of 1,511
I have one of these:

Ducati_Monster_S4R_07_stmz.jpg

Not bad - aside from that it likes to do wheelies from every traffic launch which I got used to now
wink.gif

my only means of transportation at the moment, aside from public transit.

Watch F1 mostly
wink.gif

Sep 28, 2008 at 4:45 AM Post #3 of 1,511
Now you need an Italian car to match!

I've always wanted a Harley Davidson Nightrod for some strange reason even though I'm not a big Harley fan. Some guy rides one to uni with a modified exhaust, and everytime I see him I start drooling. His other bikes a Ducati 996 as well, and I've seen at least 2 of them on campus!

Sep 28, 2008 at 5:24 AM Post #4 of 1,511
Not a big fan of harley, unfortunately - asian dudes don't look that good on a harley - and it's ridiculously bad for fuel consumption.

I had a "loaner" 996 for 4 months while my friend was away, and I didn't like that beast one bit. Extremely finiky through the corners and very uncomfortable riding position. :S not a big fan at all. Oh, and girls scream when you ride that beast downtown though.
wink.gif

Apprently new 1098 is way worse than "tame" 996. It looks and sounds the part though.

fortunately, there are not too many monsters in Vancouver - I seen 6 or 7 so far. Way too many CBR 600rrs, gxrs, r6s though. :S

Sep 28, 2008 at 5:31 AM Post #5 of 1,511
I own Mercedes-Benz S500, Jaguar XK, and Ferrari 360 Spider.
I watch F1, Rally, Grand Prix, Gran Touring, D1 GP, and Le Mans. I hate NASCAR but I can tolerate NHRA. It's typical American race. All straight or maybe a little bank to help you with the G forces so your car don't have to have a good handling.

Sep 28, 2008 at 7:27 AM Post #6 of 1,511
I watch Formula 1, WRC rally and some touring car races at a regular basis.

Don't own a car at the moment, but own a '08 Honda VFR800

Sep 28, 2008 at 7:46 AM Post #7 of 1,511
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Starting this thread as a test to see whether there's enough interest within head-fi for a cars section for all of us petroheads out there
biggrin.gif

Not enough interest for a separate forum, that's for sure. Car threads would generally fall under either the member's lounge (for general car threads such as this one) or the Gear-Fi forum (for more specific car oriented threads, such as talking about GPS devices, wheels/rims, car covers, or the like). I wouldn't think of cars, in and of themselves, as "gear" so the member's lounge would pick up most car-related threads.

Quote:

Anyway, what kind of cars do people on this forum own?

I never thought I'd have an "inventory" as such, but it has kind of worked out that way of late:

'07 Pontiac G6 hardtop convertible in "blue gold crystal metallic" (a medium blue/grey, in effect). Bought new and serves as my daily driver in Cayman. Love the car and consider it a great value for the money. Perfect for Island life. The top is up during the heat of the day and down when it gets cool at night or I'm out for a cruise.

'07 Ford Edge in Burnt Orange (the main color advertised when they first came out) with the "bling" package, meaning chrome wheels, leather, and the dual sunroof. Bought new. My girlfriend has driven it most of the time during the past 18 months, but that may soon be changing. As with the Pontiac, it's a nice ride for Island life. The thing actually has some guts, which kind of surprised me. The bling package is definitely worth the modest extra cost as it totally changes the look of the vehicle, especially on the inside.

'07 Vespa Grantourismo 125cc scooter, with chrome guard bling package, was silver but has been repainted to Santa red (custom color to match my suit). Another nice ride for Island driving, offering more protection than most scooters since it's made of steel instead of plastic. Love to ride it to class when I'm teaching in the evenings. Nice hefty feel, easy to control.

'07 Dodge RAM 2500 diesel, short bed, automatic, dark blue, bought new. Kept in the US and used primarily as a towing vehicle for the first year, but will now serve as my general purpose run around vehicle. Nice truck to drive, love every mile.

'07 Ariel Atom 2, 300hp, custom US-made in Oregon by Brammo Motorsports, bought new, with all sorts of ups and extras and more carbon fiber than my wallet cares to remember. I now have 6 sets of body panels to swap in and out to change the look of the car (red, blue, orange, green, yellow, and a special "mini me" 4 color combo to match my motorhome's color scheme). I could go on and on about what an absolute buzz this car is, both in terms of the driving sensation as well as all of the hoopla that it creates. But I've bored you all with that before. See the links in my signature if this comes as news to you.

'04/'05 (not sure which) Powerhouse Coach 43' custom motorhome, built on a Volvo 610 Class 8 semi truck chassis, Cummins N-14 10 speed automatic, bought used in 2008. Without question, buying this rig was a life changing event. What a joy to be wherever you want to be, and then when you get bored, to move on to somewhere else. Of course, it would help (a lot, actually) if I were to drive it only when fully awake and alert!

'08 Powerhouse Coach 40' custom trailer, to match motorhome. This thing is just unreal, loaded with options like a 50 gallon gas tank and pump, an electric awning, bunk beds, heat/ac and TV, and all sorts of hydraulics: car lift, beaver tail and ramp gate, and the amazing "hydraulically self propelled' option, which allows you to unhook the trailer and then move it around a parking lot as you walk around the rig with a remote control (and thus park it precisely where you want to without banging into anything). The Atom and the Dodge go inside of the trailer, along with extra tires for the Atom, a bicycle, golf clubs, scuba gear, and room for another vehicle. Maybe a Ducati, one day!

Sep 28, 2008 at 8:40 AM Post #8 of 1,511
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio-Fi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I own Mercedes-Benz S500, Jaguar XK, and Ferrari 360 Spider.
I watch F1, Rally, Grand Prix, Gran Touring, D1 GP, and Le Mans. I hate NASCAR but I can tolerate NHRA. It's typical American race. All straight or maybe a little bank to help you with the G forces so your car don't have to have a good handling.

I demand pics! 360 was the last Ferrari that looked decent in my opinion.

I still want a 355 though, looks absolutely stunning. The V8 in that was orgasmic sounding, but the driving position was still dumb.

Sep 28, 2008 at 10:50 AM Post #11 of 1,511
Quote:

biggrin.gif
An F1 engine sounds as musical as a soprano singer.

Anyway, what kind of cars do people on this forum own? I had a Honda Jazz, but that got written off in a bad accident earlier in the year when I got crashed into buy some moron in his ute trying to run a red light.

Whos watching the F1 or WRC at the moment? What kind of racing series do people keep an eye on? I personally watch the rally event a lot, and DTM is always on my mind. I guess cars is why I choose to study engineering.

It's held at my country for the first time and i'm excited.
I've watched the qualifications and practice runs.
Real cool.
They look like tamiya cars man!
BTW, what do you guys think of singapore's street circuit? good bad?

Sep 28, 2008 at 10:55 AM Post #13 of 1,511
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not enough interest for a separate forum, that's for sure. Car threads would generally fall under either the member's lounge (for general car threads such as this one) or the Gear-Fi forum (for more specific car oriented threads, such as talking about GPS devices, wheels/rims, car covers, or the like).

So true!
..and there are already numerous car-specific forums out there, which cover everything car related you ever want to discuss.

Sep 28, 2008 at 11:07 AM Post #14 of 1,511
Yeah i agree.
I personally felt that it was quite a bad track but i had no knowledge whatsoever about F1 racing (my country tv doesn't broadcast but i watched in the apst) so i didn't know if it was bad.

When they bounce, they realy look like tamiya's though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back