THE BHSE DEPRESSED AWAITING DELIVERY THREAD
Jan 27, 2015 at 8:53 AM Post #31 of 77
  You will get more response on that over at the 'other' place. There are some who have bought off-the-shelf chassis, and others who have made them themselves. Good luck. Which amp are you building, the on-board or off-board, and which chip set?

Yeah, I just have to vainly try to split off from that monster of a thread :)

I got the on board heat sinks, with the 2SC4686A transistor and is the 500V version. Not sure why the 450V versus 500V - just so we can go to "11"? (cue Spinal Tap)

Jan 27, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #32 of 77
  You will get more response on that over at the 'other' place. There are some who have bought off-the-shelf chassis, and others who have made them themselves. Good luck. Which amp are you building, the on-board or off-board, and which chip set?

Which is the best of the two i.e. on-board vs off-board for the KGSSHV ? 

Jan 27, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #33 of 77
Also does anybody know how the KGST (mini BHSE !!) vs the BHSE and KGSSHV variants i.e. full size on- board and off-board and KGSSHV Mini compares ?

Jan 28, 2015 at 12:32 PM Post #35 of 77
  Also does anybody know how the KGST (mini BHSE !!) vs the BHSE and KGSSHV variants i.e. full size on- board and off-board and KGSSHV Mini compares ?

I am told that the off-board KGSShv has better dynamics and control than the on-board, as it can supply more amps in the power supply. It can do that as the external heatsinks have more capacity. The PS in the 0n-board can go to 5.5 amps max, whereas the off-board can handle 10 amps, and in some cases push to 14 amps.

I read a post by KG that they do sound different, though it did not confirm better. IMO more current supply and reserves should translate to more headroom. I haven't heard an on-board KGSShv to confirm this.

I also haven't heard the KGST, but I think it has lower voltage swing than the BHSE so again, it WILL sound different. As to how far behind it may be from the BHSE I can't say. This needs a thorough test by someone who has both amps.... Throw into this mix the fact the big EL34 tubes have a great sound and push more output than the tubes in the KGST. But the 009s don't need as much voltage swing, so they 'may' be quite close?

Jan 28, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #36 of 77
  I am told that the off-board KGSShv has better dynamics and control than the on-board, as it can supply more amps in the power supply. It can do that as the external heatsinks have more capacity. The PS in the 0n-board can go to 5.5 amps max, whereas the off-board can handle 10 amps, and in some cases push to 14 amps.

I read a post by KG that they do sound different, though it did not confirm better. IMO more current supply and reserves should translate to more headroom. I haven't heard an on-board KGSShv to confirm this.

I also haven't heard the KGST, but I think it has lower voltage swing than the BHSE so again, it WILL sound different. As to how far behind it may be from the BHSE I can't say. This needs a thorough test by someone who has both amps.... Throw into this mix the fact the big EL34 tubes have a great sound and push more output than the tubes in the KGST. But the 009s don't need as much voltage swing, so they 'may' be quite close?

Thank you for your post astrostar59.     Much appreciated.

Jan 29, 2015 at 7:26 AM Post #38 of 77
  how many time take approximately that headamp build and shipping the BHSE?

From information given on the BHSE thread ;  

Customers have experienced a wait time from one to two years from placing deposit to receiving their BHSE. 

Jan 29, 2015 at 7:36 AM Post #39 of 77
...and maybe 3 years, if some problems with partsquality occurs!

Jan 29, 2015 at 8:41 AM Post #40 of 77
  ...and maybe 3 years, if some problems with partsquality occurs!

I'm also building a KGSSHV and can tell you that getting parts isn't always trivial. All these HV parts - transistors, caps and resistors in particular are speciality items. A number of the 650V caps are EOL. 

At any rate I put in an order in November for a BHSE and now in January got an email to pick my color as the front panels are being done. Personally though I don't mind a wait as it gives me time put off spending a wad of dough :)

Jan 29, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #43 of 77
Just make sure Justin doesn't get hit by a bus any time soon...

Feb 1, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #44 of 77
Got an email last week asking me to pick a color for the faceplate as he was getting them anodized soon. Is this any indicator of ship date?

Feb 1, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #45 of 77
  Got an email last week asking me to pick a color for the faceplate as he was getting them anodized soon. Is this any indicator of ship date?

LOL, obviously not but I take it that you knew the answer already ....
biggrin.gif

There is no such thing like an indicator of ship date, just there is some progress, something is happening but nothing more
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back