The Beyerdynamic Tesla DT 1350 Impressions thread
Dec 9, 2013 at 5:20 PM Post #467 of 1,323
I've had mine back from BTG for a few weeks now, and I am thrilled with the results.  If you were thinking the DT1350 was at all lacking in soundstage (I did), this upgrade did the trick.  There are holes left behind, from where the factory cable left the cups.  These I'd like to plug, because I think they are having a minor effect on the sound.  I suspect the sound will tighten a bit more, but I haven't run across the right material.  Not that I'm in a huge hurry...

Keep in mind I consider this a double upgrade, considering its a material upgrade, and going from single ended to balanced.

Dec 10, 2013 at 12:48 AM Post #468 of 1,323
    There are holes left behind, from where the factory cable left the cups.  These I'd like to plug, because I think they are having a minor effect on the sound.  I suspect the sound will tighten a bit more, but I haven't run across the right material.  Not that I'm in a huge hurry...

What cable option did you choose , the 8 Strand ? Won't the new cables go through the same holes as the old cable, just trying to understand how do you have the old cable holes still open on your HP's .

Dec 10, 2013 at 6:59 AM Post #469 of 1,323
I had the mod done with 8 strand SPC wire, so yes to your first question...

But due to the size of the wire, the cables have to leave the bottom of the cups, to form the more traditional "Y" shape headphone cable.  The stock cable left the top of the cups to travel inside the head band.  You would need to ask Brian, but if you don't want that cable shape, maybe downgrading to 4 strand SPC wire might still allow for the cable to stay in the head band?  That's what I did with my BTG HD25 cable...

I keep meaning to snap a few picks and share with the group, but I'm always forgetting to recharge my camera battery...
redface.gif

Dec 10, 2013 at 8:15 AM Post #471 of 1,323
  Do you find any difference in Bass after the re-cable ?

I'm far from the best reviewer, for I lack the poetry.  And my ears are not the best, for reviewers hear things that I often don't hear.  So take what I say with a grain of salt...

I'm very comfortable in saying the opening of soundstage, because it was noticed easily.  Even though I was without my DT1350s for about 3 weeks.  That's what makes this kind of comparison difficult for me.

My "opinion" on bass is I think I'm hearing a slight shift from sub-bass emphasis towards mid-bass emphasis.  Now I think this is a logical change because the stock cable is copper, and the new cable is silver plated copper.  But again this is based on a 3 week separation in listening time.  That's also why I want to plug those 2 holes from the old cable.  Because I would expect the bass shift to be even more noticed...

Dec 10, 2013 at 11:58 AM Post #472 of 1,323
I exchanged an email with Brian about sealing the holes on my DT 1350's (also mentioned your case as reference), he wrote :

"I think I did seal those holes with hot glue and super glue. It may look open but it shouldn't be open. The dt1350s are very sensitive to any air leaks which is why I took that precaution."

Dec 19, 2013 at 9:25 AM Post #476 of 1,323
Just bought these for the extremely reasonable price of $187 on Amazon. I can't wait to hear them! I also can't wait to see whether I got the old model or the facelift (Amazon is not very clear as to which one you're buying). According to the pictures above, it will be the old model, but I don't think I'll mind - my head and ears are pretty small lol.

Dec 19, 2013 at 11:44 AM Post #478 of 1,323
  hmm. Facelift has black headband and pre-facelift has the metal. I thought it was the color of the logo.

The headband itself is the same there's just more black plastic wrapped around it.

Dec 19, 2013 at 12:26 PM Post #479 of 1,323
  Just bought these for the extremely reasonable price of $187 on Amazon. I can't wait to hear them! I also can't wait to see whether I got the old model or the facelift (Amazon is not very clear as to which one you're buying). According to the pictures above, it will be the old model, but I don't think I'll mind - my head and ears are pretty small lol.

I think I saw that price as well and I am almost positive it is the older model.  Ive had a set with the smaller and bigger cups and prefer the bigger cups.  Sound wise cant remember what the older one sounded like vs the new one.  

Dec 19, 2013 at 1:30 PM Post #480 of 1,323

I think I saw that price as well and I am almost positive it is the older model.  Ive had a set with the smaller and bigger cups and prefer the bigger cups.  Sound wise cant remember what the older one sounded like vs the new one.  

Guys, the cups are the same size on both. The only difference is the headband padding and the paint job on the cups. In fact, you can remove the outer shell off of the cups of the original versions and walla, you have a Facelift version. These two headphones, for all intents and purposes, are identical. I wouldn't worry one bit about whether you get the Facelift version or not.

EDIT: There is also no difference in how they sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back