The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Apr 7, 2013 at 6:51 PM Post #3,046 of 12,548
Quote:
More fatiguing? That's the first time I've heard that. What were you amping them with?

Yes, that surprises me!
Especially since I don't think the DT880s as being fatiguing at all!
If you want a fatiguing pair of headphones, let me know, you can buy my Skull Candy IEMs.
The sound between the 32, 250 and 600 Ohm 'phones would have to change quite a bit before I would call any of them fatiguing!  
confused_face_2.gif

Apr 7, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #3,047 of 12,548
Actually, I'd agree that the DT880 sounds fatiguing... especially with some modern recordings that boost the 8-10K regions to give "false details".

They are fine at low volume, but as soon as I try to simulate that "live level", they are just so piercing that it's unbearable.

That was one of the factor that pushed me to let my pair go (the other is the increasingly higher amping requirements at higher volumes). But I'd say... for low level listening, they're still awesome.

Apr 7, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #3,048 of 12,548
I'd say they can be fatiguing for sure, but not that much. I've rarely heard any sibilance on mine.

Apr 8, 2013 at 4:32 AM Post #3,049 of 12,548
I agree with Bill-P. Any headphone with a treble spike like most Beyers have are capable of being fatiguing.

And in regards to 32 vs 250 vs 600 ohms... there are probably many 880s with a larger standard driver variance between them than there is variance shown in the FR graphs that were posted. So I don't quite understand this perception that you know how the 250 vs 600 ohm sounds relative to each other and are surprised by someone else's experience differing. This is why I've always considered the difference between the 250 and 600 ohm versions to be a smaller difference than most people purport, because the difference they claim is very slight and yet they almost never agknowledge the fact that slight (and sometimes not-so-slight) differences can be caused by simple driver variance alone. Who's to say the difference you heard was the difference in impedance and not driver variance? If it was a difference you noticed while using a high output impedance amplifier than its indeed likely that it was due to the impedance difference. But if it was a low output impedance amp I think its more likely you were hearing standard driver variance.

The most sound advice I've heard given to people asking whether they should get the 250 ohm or 600 ohm version is-- if you have or intend to use a high output impedance amplifier like an OTL amp get the 600 ohm because it will perform slightly better. Otherwise they will sound the same.

Apr 8, 2013 at 9:03 AM Post #3,050 of 12,548
I agree with Bill-P. Any headphone with a treble spike like most Beyers have are capable of being fatiguing.

And in regards to 32 vs 250 vs 600 ohms... there are probably many 880s with a larger standard driver variance between them than there is variance shown in the FR graphs that were posted. So I don't quite understand this perception that you know how the 250 vs 600 ohm sounds relative to each other and are surprised by someone else's experience differing. This is why I've always considered the difference between the 250 and 600 ohm versions to be a smaller difference than most people purport, because the difference they claim is very slight and yet they almost never agknowledge the fact that slight (and sometimes not-so-slight) differences can be caused by simple driver variance alone. Who's to say the difference you heard was the difference in impedance and not driver variance? If it was a difference you noticed while using a high output impedance amplifier than its indeed likely that it was due to the impedance difference. But if it was a low output impedance amp I think its more likely you were hearing standard driver variance.

The most sound advice I've heard given to people asking whether they should get the 250 ohm or 600 ohm version is-- if you have or intend to use a high output impedance amplifier like an OTL amp get the 600 ohm because it will perform slightly better. Otherwise they will sound the same.

+1 Sounds logical, but for me it was the same outcome on a tube amp with unknown output resistance and a o2 with low output resistance. Another thing as that many is comparing the premium 600 to the pro 250.

Apr 8, 2013 at 9:55 AM Post #3,051 of 12,548
So I got myself a pair of the DT880s :D .  Thank you, JerseyD for a quick and easy transaction, it was a pleasure!

Quote:
a neutral amp will pretty much just let you raise the volume - my ears confirm this so far. Pairing it with the dt880s, which are also quite neutral, might sound flat or unappealing for many people. Do you have another pair of headphones? If you do, it might pay to try a range of amps and see if you'd prefer a neutral one or maybe something with more colour.

Yes, I also have esw9 and hd280.  After a short listen and a comparison between them to some electro swing, I can see what people mean about their highs.  They are certainly a little strong.  Other than that, i like them, they were extremely comfortable, with a great natural, airy sound.  A great first open can experience.  The bass instruments, and the female vocals sounded more pleasing on the esw9, though it may be I'm more used to the closed sound. I read on here that leather pads might help subdue the highs. 

About the amp, if it just raises the volume, how loud does everyone listen to their music?
basshead.gif
There was a certain change in volumes when I switched between headphones, as they each have their requirements.  But even my ipod, at max was giving more volume than i wanted to listen comfortably for a long period. I've stood next to speaker/under woofers in clubs, but it always had a temporary impact on my hearing, no need to repeat at home.
k701smile.gif

Apr 8, 2013 at 12:32 PM Post #3,052 of 12,548
One thing that I have observed in all the DT880 comments I have seen for the past 1-1/2 years is that there does not seem to be a lot of consensus as to how DT880s sound

some say neutral and nicely balanced
some say fatiguing
some say too bright
some say too bland
some say brighter than AKG K70x/Q701
some say not as bright as AKG K70x/Q701
some say they sound almost the same as AKG K70x/Q701
different iimpedances sound different
different impedances all sound the same

etc

etc

etc

anyway............................
deadhorse.gif

Apr 8, 2013 at 12:49 PM Post #3,053 of 12,548
Quote:
One thing that I have observed in all the DT880 comments I have seen for the past 1-1/2 years is that there does not seem to be a lot of consensus as to how DT880s sound

some say fatiguing
some say too bright
some say too bland

You'll find this with most phones, everyone has an opinion and preference.

Also everyone has different ideas on how to power them, I don't find them all that bright at all.

Going from my DLIII > DV336 to a solid-state Zero they're a different headphone.

They're not nearly as bright (fatiguing) as a HD800 and look at there status.

Apr 8, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #3,054 of 12,548
Quote:

some say fatiguing
some say too bright
some say too bland
some say brighter than AKG K70x/Q701
some say not as bright as AKG K70x/Q701
some say they sound almost the same as AKG K70x/Q701
different iimpedances sound different
different impedances all sound the same

etc

etc

etc

anyway............................
deadhorse.gif

I think the only consensus is that they aren't dark/veiled. Seriously though, I think all headphones experience similar debates over how they sound. We all have different preferences and equipment. Not to mention that some persons seem to be more prone to listening fatigue than others and we hear differently.

I find the the DT880s neutral and nicely balanced with my DAC1. 

Apr 8, 2013 at 6:29 PM Post #3,055 of 12,548
Quote:

I find the the DT880s neutral and nicely balanced with my DAC1. 

I found them unlistenable on my DAC1-Pre. Too bright for my ears.
But now that I have my Audiolab M-Dac, I can apply one of the roll-off filters... and they are just fine. Darn near perfect.

Apr 8, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #3,056 of 12,548
Quote:

But now that I have my Audiolab M-Dac, I can apply one of the roll-off filters... and they are just fine. Darn near perfect.

Really?

How old are you?

I ask because they don't seem overly bright to me, not at all. But I'm 54 years old, it may be that my hearing in the upper registers is not as acute as yours...

Apr 8, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #3,057 of 12,548
Quote:
Really?  
How old are you?

I ask because they don't seem overly bright to me, not at all. But I'm 54 years old, it may be that my hearing in the upper registers is not as acute as yours...

Really.

Older than you by 3 years. 
wink_face.gif

Apr 8, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #3,059 of 12,548
Quote:

Huh.

Well, I'm happy that at least you've found a solution.

beerchug.gif

Hahaha....
Yeah, they were very close to the For Sale thread. Been sitting on a shelf in the closet for a couple years. Glad I got them 'back'.
Cheers.

Apr 8, 2013 at 8:59 PM Post #3,060 of 12,548
Quote:

lol. That's why I sometimes have to laugh when people get into arguments about how an item sounds and what is over-rated etc... We all hear differently. I've tended to like headphones and speakers, other persons claim are bright... 

I also enjoy using my DAC1 with the K701's. Which other persons claim should be an atrocious combination.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back