The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Apr 9, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #3,076 of 12,546
The stx itself is very good sounding for the money and has a quite good dac built in, the o2 plugged to the rca on it sounds better(hard when there is very little difference). More that I had no need for it, one less thing on the desk in the living room to make the wife happy aswell. The Asus Essence One she likes the look of and is besides the stressless chair with my laptop, really love that dac/amp.

Another thing anyone here who have changed the cable or made a jack input in the dt880. My cabble had a accident with the dog chewing his toy while the cabble was plugged into the receiver. For now it is 134cm long....

Apr 9, 2013 at 4:36 PM Post #3,077 of 12,546
UPS tracking says my DT880's are 'out for delivery'.

I was trying to listen to a SACD last night at what I thought was a pretty moderate level and got the 'ol 'CAN YOU PLEASE TURN THAT DOWN!'

Looking forward to my new headphones

Apr 9, 2013 at 4:50 PM Post #3,078 of 12,546
Quote:
You can change out the op amps before soldering, also you can use a external power supply instead of the batteries. So it is not limited if that is what you desire out from, but at stock it is plenty powerful for me. Still I had no need for it after I did get the STX card in my computer.

Edit: Need to say the little project that I did do on the o2 was not perfect as I did like the stock o2 better, changed around alot on the internals and made my own PCB at the work. Casing in pink acrylic for fun.

As you are very aware, you need an external power supply to charge the batteries. 
Obviously, you can also leave the batteries in and run it off the charger all the time.

Not too sure why anyone would want to change the Op Amps, the measurements are all based on the Op Amps NWAVguy specified. Anyway, sounds like you tried rolling in some different Op Amps & played around with the internals and found yourself.............um..............
frown.gif
...........disappointed. 
What can I say? I've modified some stuff in the past and listened it after the mods and said "I spend a few $$ and some time and it sounds the same!"

OTOH, ya gotta like any amp that's encased in pink acrylic!

Apr 9, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #3,079 of 12,546
Yeh I was disappointed. .. but it was fun

Apr 9, 2013 at 5:50 PM Post #3,080 of 12,546
Quote:
Another thing anyone here who have changed the cable or made a jack input in the dt880. My cable had a accident with the dog chewing his toy while the cable was plugged into the receiver. For now it is 134cm long....

Yep - I never liked the original cable on my DT880 600 - I found it the worst part of the whole headphone (IMO) - too long, and just felt cheap.  Anyway - didn't suit me - so I replaced it with a home-made Mogami starquad mini (2893).  Shortened it to around 4.5 foot.  The Mogami is a bit less flexible - but I really like it.

Apr 9, 2013 at 6:08 PM Post #3,081 of 12,546
Quote:

Yep - I never liked the original cable on my DT880 600 - I found it the worst part of the whole headphone (IMO) - too long, and just felt cheap.  

The cable is much better than the K702 Annie though... what a weird, tangle prone cable that was! The DT880 cable seems fine to me, but I agree that it could use to be shortened. Maybe as audiophile headphones increasingly go mainstream they'll start using shorter cables, even if they include an extension. 

Apr 9, 2013 at 6:13 PM Post #3,082 of 12,546
It's a hard one to explain - and I know it was just me being 'naturally picky'.  Where the Mogami is very firm - the stock DT880 cable almost felt like the plastic outer sheathing is slightly too large in circumference to the inner wires.  If it had been a little firmer - I would have just shortened and reterminated it.

Wasn't a hard job anyway - and it's not like I'll ever sell the Beyer :)

Apr 9, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #3,083 of 12,546
Quote:
Quote:

Yep - I never liked the original cable on my DT880 600 - I found it the worst part of the whole headphone (IMO) - too long, and just felt cheap.  

The cable is much better than the K702 Annie though... what a weird, tangle prone cable that was! The DT880 cable seems fine to me, but I agree that it could use to be shortened. Maybe as audiophile headphones increasingly go mainstream they'll start using shorter cables, even if they include an extension. 

Don't shorten it! I need the 10 feet one!! Could even use an 11 feet cable..

Apr 9, 2013 at 6:58 PM Post #3,088 of 12,546
Quote:
Quote:
I wish the cable where longer.

Do you guys listen across the room? Do you have a remote control for your source? I've almost always used my headphones at the desk and maybe only once or twice been happy with the length of a 10' stock cable. 

Yea I listen across the room when I want to lay down and listen to music. No remote control. I should get a Mac Mini and a remote control though, that would be pretty sweet
biggrin.gif

Apr 9, 2013 at 7:20 PM Post #3,090 of 12,546
Quote:
Quote:
I wish they came with retractable cables, I am constantly running over them with my desk chair.

I keep my chords looped through the handle on my desk so I don't do exactly that. It only gets bad when I decide to bring multiple headphones to work! 

^ This. I use the Sennheiser HH10 clamp-on headphone holder which you can find online for cheap. I loop the cable of the headphone(s) I'm currently using through the HH10 and that helps keep it away from the ground so I don't roll over it with my chair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back