The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Nov 26, 2013 at 7:41 AM Post #5,446 of 12,548
  I can count on... sound quality changing? Sorry, I don't quite understand what you're getting at. Man, I'm frustrated. 

ePads make a differance on the sound of a headphone, like pre amp Tubes change the sound of an Amp 

I've always loved the stock pads. 

Nov 26, 2013 at 7:42 AM Post #5,447 of 12,548
It's amazing how different these two headphones actually sound!
Once you get past the treble, the DT880 seems to have a flatter, fuller bass, compared to any K70x or Q701.
Any K70x or Q701 I've heard sounds more midrangey and trebley than these curves would suggest.
Really, these curves would make you think the headphones sound fairly similar.
Nothing could be further from the truth.

The day I start listening to music with my eyes is the day I will believe graphs.

Nov 26, 2013 at 7:52 AM Post #5,451 of 12,548
The day I start listening to music with my eyes is the day I will believe graphs.

lawl, yea I hear you there, although graphs do serve a pourpose. When looking for another headphone that... suites your tastes. A freq Graph helps a lot. For example when looking for a headphone with a closed back and a sound like my DT 880, graphs helped me a good bit, I took a chance on the W1000x so I used both of those graphs to find one i liked. I got around to them HP 100, Shure 840, AKG K550 and A900x. Again'st the w1000x they sounded horrible so I sold em all :3 but I did enjoy each one. And they all had a simmilar sound to the dt 880 and W1000x, which imo sound very simmilar. With the DT 880 being more balanced and having a tighter deeper bass, the W1000x is a touch more intimate, the bass has more of a hump and it lacks on the sub extension, how ever it digs as nicely as the dt 880 down to about 40ish. I did some mods on mine which helped bring the sub bass a back into the sound a little and the mid bass down a smidge

eithier way graphs are a nice starting point, although u hit a point where they start to look very simmilar. HE 500, DT 880 HD 800, Beyer T90 LCD 2... all kinda look simmilar 

Nov 26, 2013 at 8:09 AM Post #5,452 of 12,548
lawl, yea I hear you there, although graphs do serve a pourpose. When looking for another headphone that... suites your tastes. A freq Graph helps a lot. For example when looking for a headphone with a closed back and a sound like my DT 880, graphs helped me a good bit, I took a chance on the W1000x so I used both of those graphs to find one i liked. I got around to them HP 100, Shure 840, AKG K550 and A900x. Again'st the w1000x they sounded horrible so I sold em all :3 but I did enjoy each one. And they all had a simmilar sound to the dt 880 and W1000x, which imo sound very simmilar. With the DT 880 being more balanced and having a tighter deeper bass, the W1000x is a touch more intimate, the bass has more of a hump and it lacks on the sub extension, how ever it digs as nicely as the dt 880 down to about 40ish. I did some mods on mine which helped bring the sub bass a back into the sound a little and the mid bass down a smidge

eithier way graphs are a nice starting point, although u hit a point where they start to look very simmilar. HE 500, DT 880 HD 800, Beyer T90 LCD 2... all kinda look simmilar 

I know some people find graphs useful but honestly I much prefer hearing the headphone in person than looking at curves and whatnot. Besides, graphs remind of math. I guess they have something to do with math which might be a reason why I don't understand some of them.. (I hate math btw) :p

Nov 26, 2013 at 9:44 AM Post #5,453 of 12,548
  Almost wonder if I could take them somewhere and have them lined with that material that's inside the Pro 900, or KRK 8400. Ya know that soft, fine material I'm talking about?

You might want to try what they do with other headphones and put a little stuffing under the DT880's pads to raise them away from the foam.

Like here in the M-Audio Thread.

Here are some Super Comfy HM5 pads (I have those on my Ultrasones) on the DT770's with a little paracord to raise them out a bit.

Many options available...
beerchug.gif

Nov 26, 2013 at 11:29 AM Post #5,454 of 12,548
The top of my right ear is irritated. I'm totally not willing to toy around, or spend more money, to figure it out. 

So I'm gonna sell em for what I got em for. They are in excellent condition, and honestly they sound great. I LOVE the soundstage. 

Anything neutral (even more neutral, hopefully!) that compares? I was thinking the Mr. Speakers Mad Dogs with the Alpha Pads. Thinkin' I'd buy 'em used, not new, since I don't use animal products (I'm involved in animal rights promotion). 

I'd like to thank everyone here for their help. Again, especially Argyris! 

Nov 26, 2013 at 12:08 PM Post #5,455 of 12,548
  The top of my right ear is irritated. I'm totally not willing to toy around, or spend more money, to figure it out. 

So I'm gonna sell em for what I got em for. They are in excellent condition, and honestly they sound great. I LOVE the soundstage. 

Anything neutral (even more neutral, hopefully!) that compares? I was thinking the Mr. Speakers Mad Dogs with the Alpha Pads. Thinkin' I'd buy 'em used, not new, since I don't use animal products (I'm involved in animal rights promotion). 

I'd like to thank everyone here for their help. Again, especially Argyris! 

LCD's with the Vegan Pads are what you need!

Nov 26, 2013 at 12:27 PM Post #5,456 of 12,548

True.
Very true.

When it comes to headphones, my motto is: try before you buy!

Nov 26, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #5,457 of 12,548

graphCompare.php

Ok, stronger lower treble from the K702, in a very sensitive range. They're about the same for upper treble unless you're sensitive around the 9khz area, which I doubt I can even hear (I'm 67). Pretty good graphs really as these things go, but I suspect there's a resonance in the AKG's treble that only shows up on certain genres (classical for one) and to certain ears.

It's amazing how different these two headphones actually sound!
Once you get past the treble, the DT880 seems to have a flatter, fuller bass, compared to any K70x or Q701.
Any K70x or Q701 I've heard sounds more midrangey and trebley than these curves would suggest.
Really, these curves would make you think the headphones sound fairly similar.
Nothing could be further from the truth.

I have the K712 and they do sound different than the DT880. They have increased bass compared to the K70x and the 880 doesn't really seem to have flatter, fuller bass as you describe but overall they are quite different. The K712 are good but compared to my DT880 and HD600 they sound plasticy. Similar to the way the 880 sounds 'shimmery' with its extra treble but to a greater degree and the 'plasticy' sound of the K712 seems to effect pretty much all of the mids and treble. I want to like the K712 more but when you use multiple headphones and switch between them often, its just very obvious that the K712 are plastic sounding. Still good though. Aside from the shimmer from the emphasized treble I find the DT880's tonality to be very good and quite close to the HD600 and overall the DT880's tonal accuracy is superior to the K712.

Nov 26, 2013 at 4:42 PM Post #5,458 of 12,548

I have the K712 and they do sound different than the DT880. They have increased bass compared to the K70x and the 880 doesn't really seem to have flatter, fuller bass as you describe but overall they are quite different. The K712 are good but compared to my DT880 and HD600 they sound plasticy. Similar to the way the 880 sounds 'shimmery' with its extra treble but to a greater degree and the 'plasticy' sound of the K712 seems to effect pretty much all of the mids and treble. I want to like the K712 more but when you use multiple headphones and switch between them often, its just very obvious that the K712 are plastic sounding. Still good though. Aside from the shimmer from the emphasized treble I find the DT880's tonality to be very good and quite close to the HD600 and overall the DT880's tonal accuracy is superior to the K712.

In this case I will add the qualifier and weasel words "relative to the Q701, the DT880 has flatter fuller bass". "In my opinion."

"YMMV".

I will also add the caveat "specifications subject to change without notice".

etc.

I have more, but I'm saving them for a "special time".

Nov 26, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #5,459 of 12,548
  Okay, this is annoying. My right ear keeps touching the inside of the cup. just my right ear. My left ear does it EVER so slightly, but not really. If I move my head around I feel my right ear touch it even more. I don't think I'm being compulsive. This is actually quite annoying! Should I cut part of my right ear off?

You can try these Beyerdynamic EDT 990 VB - Replacement Ear Cushions for DT 531, 811, 880, 911, 931, 990 & T1 (Pair, Black Velour)i used these one and it solved my problem similar to yours these is actualy harder than the stock pads it works for me.

Nov 26, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #5,460 of 12,548

Here. They're the old DT880 from the 80s, mind, but they're the biggest thing I could find. At least now Godzilla can have a pair of DT880s that would actually fit him so he can participate in the discussion. 
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back