Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › M-Audio Q40 Impressions (long w/pics)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

M-Audio Q40 Impressions (long w/pics) - Page 49

post #721 of 1608

People who are very close might hear it, but it shouldn't be loud enough to disturb people unless you're in a super quiet environment. The Q40 only has a moderate amount of clamp. Typically, a higher degree of clamp improves isolation by increasing the seal around your head (this usually comes at the expense of comfort, depending on the softness of the pads).

 

I have a fairly large head and low jawline, so the Q40 pad sits quite well and seals comfortably around my head without the need for pressure. too much. Those with stronger cheekbones and/or sloped jawline might not achieve as nice a seal with round pads and would find square/oval pads better suited. These are just huge generalizations though; it's different for everybody and every different headphone. The Q40 pads are softer and sit well on me, yet the DT770 pads are the same size but do not seal as well on my head. Some people put the Beyer pads on the Q40 and say that improves things for them.

 

TL;DR, you should be just fine.

post #722 of 1608

Alright thanks, I will be sure to post my thoughts on the headphones once I get them, though I am not much of an audiophile.

post #723 of 1608

I just received a pair of these a few days ago and like the sound; however, the ear pads are killing me. The are a bit too shallow and not quite long/wide enough. Based on what I have read, I can order a pair of DT770 pads as a replacement and BHphoto has the velour, the leather, and the gel as options.

 

I would like to retain as much bass as possible but also need the biggest (and by extension for me) most comfortable of the optional replacement pads.

 

Does anyone have suggestion of which of the pads I should go with (if there is another set besides the DT770s that would work as well I am willing to give them a try.

post #724 of 1608

I have found that these headphones are more or less precisely what the majority of people in this thread have described them as, the only significant exceptions being that I do not (after stretching them out) find them uncomfortable with their default pads, and I do not find the bass to be overpowering at all with a normal EQ on my mp3, in fact I wouldn't mind if the bass was a little stronger, don't get me wrong, it's there, it's accurate and it's not weak in the slightest, but naturally it doesn't have that driving force behind it that you get from a stereo set with a decent subwoofer. The isolation is good and the sound leakage is good as well, in a relatively quiet room people will be able to hear them if you are running them at moderate volumes and take them off, however if they are on your head no one will hear a thing. If you are listening to them at non-damaging but enjoyable volume levels you won't be able to hear people unless they are talking very loud. As others have noted there does not seem to be a significant difference between driving these headphones through a computer or a portable mp3 player.

 

 

post #725 of 1608

Are there any headband pads (anything but pleather) of other headphones that fit on the Q40? Mine is starting to peel and I would like to replace it.

post #726 of 1608
I am really interested in picking a pair of these. I was wondering if they managed to fix the cable problem or if there is a reasonably priced replacement.
post #727 of 1608

Most normal 3.5mm cables should fit them just fine... I've had no problem connecting various third-party cables to mine (for example, Prolink Classic line)

post #728 of 1608
Ok thanks for the info. Read that someone got a random cord and they sounded bad. That and wasnt sure if it relied on the threads to keep the cord in place or not.

Anyone know where these can be had on a good deal? Some they they could be had for 90. Couldnt find them anywhere at that price so I just made an offer on ebay.
Edited by Drastion - 2/28/12 at 1:52am
post #729 of 1608
Quote:
Originally Posted by countdooku View Post

Hi There,

 

I've been using my Q40's for about 2 years now and their earpads are pretty messed up. I really need to change them and i made some research on the forum about it. Well, i found out that the Beyerdynamic velour pads are suitable and also provides a nice mod for the Q40's. However, there are no shops etc. here in my country to purchase them.

Actually, the only full-sized spare earpads i could ever find here are for the Sennheiser models.

So, what i am going to ask is, do you guys think any Sennheiser's spare earpads could also fit on the Q40's ? If yes, which model ?

 

Thank you so much for your help... smile.gif



I've recently purchased a Superlux HD681 as a spare headphone. Well, just tried to replace my Q40's earpads with HD681's pads and luckily, they fitted just fine. :) Maybe this will help somebody searching for spare pads, you could give it a try as HD681's are really cheap. (If you dont have the chance to find Beyer Pads ofc.)

post #730 of 1608

Finally ponied up for a pair of Q40 and Beyer 770 pads. I can't wait to see what the eventual sound is like. With stock cable and stock pads, I gave it the Dark Knight blu-ray in home theater test and, yes, I am hearing some thunderous bass. Now, onto the burn-in. :)

post #731 of 1608

Is there any chance of reducing the head clamp of these hp's or is it set permanently?

post #732 of 1608
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

Is there any chance of reducing the head clamp of these hp's or is it set permanently?

 

The clamp on my pair is reduced, I loosened it up stretching it over a long period of time at this point. It still grips, it's not as light feeling grip wise as say, the Denon, or the Beyer, but it's definitely chilled out and looser than when I first got it. But it still has grip to it. It will probably never be loose enough for someone that is sensitive to clamp at all. I feel it most in my lower jaw since with the beyer pads.

 

Very best,

 

 

post #733 of 1608
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalVeauX View Post

 

I feel it most in my lower jaw since with the beyer pads


Funny, I had the same prob with BeyerDynamic DT770 Pro/80, it had a fairly similar clamping force as Q40 from my faint memory but the DT770 Pro's pads must have been bigger and let more pressure on the lower jaw especially which caused some fatigue wearing it (and I remember the velour pads were quite stiff) which I didn't like at all at that point but I didn't/don't have this problem with Q40 pads so perhaps the big Beyer pads aren't such a good fit for everyone. I will probably continue using the stock pads with extra padding beneath them for added depth for as long as I can.

 


Edited by RPGWiZaRD - 3/23/12 at 3:18pm
post #734 of 1608

Just purchased Q40s after reading reviews here and listening in store.  The reviews are right on the money for the most part.  I have been listening to these for over an hour (can't stop) and am not bothered by the clamping force described in other reviews, certainly not as bad as the new Klipsch Mode M40 headphone.  In fact, I find the clamping force will allow me to wear these during workouts (may look funny, but I would rather have the great sound).  The bass and sub-bass is the best I have ever heard in terms of punch and extension, very exciting.  I also agree that, as strong as the bass is, it doesn't bleed into the mids.  I am listening to these with a FiiO E11 amp which definitely provides a fuller sound stage and even stronger bass.

 

The high end is perfect for my taste, but  I am picking up some sibilance.  Has anyone else experienced sibilance with these because I did not see that mentioned in reviews?  Does anyone know if this goes away with burn in? 

 

Quick comments: 

 

1.  I believe these are the best headphones on the market for bassheads under $300 (B&H is advertising them for $114.99 with free shipping).

2.  The Q40 is not a one-trick bass machine.  Clarity and accuracy in the mids and highs are on par with the best in this price range.  Vocals are great as well.  These sound great with everything from Carly Simon to Jay Z.

3.  Fit is snug, not vice-like; the Q40 stock ear pads are not the most comfortable, but the pleather works for me since I plan to actually use these big puppies portably.

4.  I am listening to my Q40 as I write this review and like them more and more with each passing minute; either sibilance is reducing or my ears are adjusting, but try out first to make sure this is not an issue for you.

5.  To summarize, as I am not an audiophile with much technical data to share, I will simply say as a passionate music enthusiast the M-Audio Q40 is friggin' awesome!

 

Special thanks to RPGWIZaRD and MalVeauX for turning me on to these.  You saved me about $1,000 compared to the Ultrasone Signature Pro that I was considering.  I may get those someday, but these will hold me over, at least until the VModa M100 is released...
 

post #735 of 1608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigster75 View Post

Just purchased Q40s after reading reviews here and listening in store.  The reviews are right on the money for the most part.  I have been listening to these for over an hour (can't stop) and am not bothered by the clamping force described in other reviews, certainly not as bad as the new Klipsch Mode M40 headphone.  In fact, I find the clamping force will allow me to wear these during workouts (may look funny, but I would rather have the great sound).  The bass and sub-bass is the best I have ever heard in terms of punch and extension, very exciting.  I also agree that, as strong as the bass is, it doesn't bleed into the mids.  I am listening to these with a FiiO E11 amp which definitely provides a fuller sound stage and even stronger bass.

 

The high end is perfect for my taste, but  I am picking up some sibilance.  Has anyone else experienced sibilance with these because I did not see that mentioned in reviews?  Does anyone know if this goes away with burn in? 

 

Quick comments: 

 

1.  I believe these are the best headphones on the market for bassheads under $300 (B&H is advertising them for $114.99 with free shipping).

2.  The Q40 is not a one-trick bass machine.  Clarity and accuracy in the mids and highs are on par with the best in this price range.  Vocals are great as well.  These sound great with everything from Carly Simon to Jay Z.

3.  Fit is snug, not vice-like; the Q40 stock ear pads are not the most comfortable, but the pleather works for me since I plan to actually use these big puppies portably.

4.  I am listening to my Q40 as I write this review and like them more and more with each passing minute; either sibilance is reducing or my ears are adjusting, but try out first to make sure this is not an issue for you.

5.  To summarize, as I am not an audiophile with much technical data to share, I will simply say as a passionate music enthusiast the M-Audio Q40 is friggin' awesome!

 

Special thanks to RPGWIZaRD and MalVeauX for turning me on to these.  You saved me about $1,000 compared to the Ultrasone Signature Pro that I was considering.  I may get those someday, but these will hold me over, at least until the VModa M100 is released...
 

 

I also experienced slight sibilance issues at first but it was either due to not having burned it in or then cuz I did a simple mod I really recommend trying as I think it smoothens out the slight peak around 8kHz. Simply take a piece of paper towel:

 

1315_orig_paper_towel.jpg

 

Cut it in half, roll it into a 1cm wide paperroll, stuff beneath the stock pads and voilá, enjoy improved soundstage & separation and slightly timed 8kHz peak (removes any sibilance issues and makes it more even in there). The pads have holes on them on the underside which usually makes headphones brighter sounding, I made sure so that the outermost line of holes (the line facing towards closest to your ears) is left uncovered by the paper but those holes further in gets covered. 

 

IMG_0757.jpgIMG_0965.JPG


Edited by RPGWiZaRD - 5/14/12 at 10:30am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › M-Audio Q40 Impressions (long w/pics)