The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Oct 6, 2016 at 10:51 PM Post #10,291 of 12,548
  Anyone else not like the DT-880 much with the O2?
Last night I was listening to the DT-880 with the O2 and just could not get into it. Found it kind of harsh and really boring.
Maybe I was tired or something.

The Bravo V2 was a little better. With my upgraded tube I don't find it that warm of an amp and sort of neutral.
I find the Bravo V2 not so great for the DT-880 and the Q701. Perfect with the HD-650.

Thank you for these impressions tdockweiler.  What tube do you use with the Bravo V2?

Oct 6, 2016 at 11:52 PM Post #10,293 of 12,548

Thank you for these impressions tdockweiler.  What tube do you use with the Bravo V2?

I'm using this one here:
https://www.tubedepot.com/products/ge-5814a-12au7a

It's apparently from the 50s and I've been using it since 2014. Nothing special really.
I really don't use the Bravo V2 that much since it only sounds good with my HD-650 and DJ100.
I think in total i've probably used it less than 20 hours! It makes my Q701 sounds thin and harsh and it almost NEVER sounds like this.

I also have a cheap JJ Electronics tube and the stock chinese tube but I really haven't compared any of them.
I think the GE sounds the best but it could be placebo because of it costing more
biggrin.gif

Someday (and with a better tube amp) i'll try some different tubes.

DT-880 keeps sounding better and better every day. It sounds the best at the moment with my Micro Amp, but I think my DAC is sort of too analytical. It uses the CS4398 DAC chipset and seems kind of bright at times. If I didn't sell the Modi that would be a better match for just listening to music and not analyzing it. The Micro DAC is much better overall though IMO. I bet the Bifrost is like a Modi on steroids. I'm not a fan of Schiit products (yet) but I love the Modi! I actually swapped my ODAC for a Modi since I found it better sounding.

I'll have to admit that I was watching a bunch of low quality youtube music videos yesterday and the DT-880 kept disappointing me. For poor quality files like that the clear winner is the HD-650 and Q701, but we all know that! The DT-880 just won't make them sound better like those do sometimes. I have to keep reminding myself that the DT-880 is nearly always going to sound worse with poor quality recordings. I keep forgetting!

Oct 10, 2016 at 7:02 PM Post #10,294 of 12,548
Is there a general consensus on if the DT-770, 880 and 990's improve with use or burn in?
Guess I can go do a search!

Please don't remind me of the placebo thing because I know about all that
regular_smile .gif

I myself usually do it while they're on my head and don't think about it too much.

I swear that the DT-880 now seems warmer and less analytical. It's really really bizarre.

This is now on my O2 and Headroom Micro Amp.

So far I think i've had them for about a week and no major complaints with it's sound.
The sounds seems a lot more closed in compared to my Q701 though, but that's kind of too be expected for a semi-open headphone.

As much as I like the DT-880's sound they're rather uncomfortable to wear.
Feels like they're constantly try to move UP my head while I wear them.
No problems like that on the DT-990. The DT-770 Pro 80 was more comfortable than both.

I wish I had tried the DT-990 longer and just shoved them in a drawer playing music for a week.

Oct 10, 2016 at 7:08 PM Post #10,295 of 12,548
  Is there a general consensus on if the DT-770, 880 and 990's improve with use or burn in?
Guess I can go do a search!

Please don't remind me of the placebo thing because I know about all that
regular_smile .gif

I myself usually do it while they're on my head and don't think about it too much.

I swear that the DT-880 now seems warmer and less analytical. It's really really bizarre.

This is now on my O2 and Headroom Micro Amp.

So far I think i've had them for about a week and no major complaints with it's sound.
The sounds seems a lot more closed in compared to my Q701 though, but that's kind of too be expected for a semi-open headphone.

As much as I like the DT-880's sound they're rather uncomfortable to wear.
Feels like they're constantly try to move UP my head while I wear them.
No problems like that on the DT-990. The DT-770 Pro 80 was more comfortable than both.

I wish I had tried the DT-990 longer and just shoved them in a drawer playing music for a week.

The DT880 bests your 100s right???? i gt em cuz of you :p 990s on my wish list moving forward.

Oct 10, 2016 at 7:39 PM Post #10,296 of 12,548

The DT880 bests your 100s right???? i gt em cuz of you :p 990s on my wish list moving forward.

No, but only because i've only had the DT-880 for a week.

In terms of just listening to music, I can't think of one thing the DT-880 does better. Yes, I do like them a lot!

Of course this is when my DJ100 has M50 pads and the Headroom Micro Amp/Dac + Astrodyne PSU.

Since the DT-880 is semi-open, I guess there are a few things it does better. It's not fair though to compare closed vs semi-open headphones.

Oct 18, 2016 at 7:40 PM Post #10,297 of 12,548

No, but only because i've only had the DT-880 for a week.

In terms of just listening to music, I can't think of one thing the DT-880 does better. Yes, I do like them a lot!

Of course this is when my DJ100 has M50 pads and the Headroom Micro Amp/Dac + Astrodyne PSU.

Since the DT-880 is semi-open, I guess there are a few things it does better. It's not fair though to compare closed vs semi-open headphones.

The 100s sound like being at some bar, with the band playing and the singer through a good mic, but the speakers are like some bose 301s. I feel like a drunk, and the songs punch me in the gut, and i feel like all emotions.

880s are more like walking into the hifi store demo room where they have the nice speakers and the salesman is like check this out, and its like WOW, but i'm kinda uncomfortable because i am standing, but still amazed by the sound. I don't feel the emotional gut punch. Bass is not boomy but rich SQ, unlike my xb1k where i feel like i';m in some Tokyo nightclub.

I wonder if T1's are same but they let me sit in a chair, or better yet i own the high end speakers and i am at home in my pjs.

evil_smiley.gif

Oct 19, 2016 at 9:08 PM Post #10,299 of 12,548
It has been a while since I posted. I am happy to have just joined the DT880 Premium 250 Ohm club. I ended up getting an M-Stage HPA-2 (Non USB version) amp a couple months ago as well. I never did end up put up my impressions of it. Perhaps I could do that in the future, but what is the point. Many already know it is a great amp, so what more needs to be said. This is my current setup I am testing and burning the headphones in with.

HT OMEGA Claro Plus for DAC, M-Stage HPA-2 amp, and DT880 Premium 250 Ohm. First impression is a very positive one so far. I did my usual one minute impression that I always do with headphones, and then left them running with music going for an hour. Then did another one minute listening, followed by another hour burn in time. Once this is done, then I sit down for listening. Here I am after a 2 hour burn in period, followed by a two hour sit down. I am now about 4 hours in with these puppies.

First off, lets talk about comfort. Just as it was with the DT770, the velour padding here feels just like pillows against the sides of the head. The comfort is fantastic, and this has always been my favorite type of padding. The headband feels like it completely forms to my head, almost as if it was made specifically for me. I have no hot spots, and no need to adjust anything. The clamping force is perfect, with no discomfort anywhere. I have a smaller head than most people, and only need to use the headphones with each side pulled out by just one notch. As expected, my glasses have no issues with these headphones. I can't stay the same thing for my AKG K545.

My first impression, damn, I am loving this. I am sure some will remember my feedback of my experience with the DT770 Pro 250 Ohm. I owned them, and ended up selling a couple years ago. I am sorry to say, but I found that headphone to be a disaster. I did not like them at all. The bass was boomy, the mids were extremely recessed, and the highs were terribly fatiguing. This DT880 Premium 250 Ohm, on the other hand, offers a completely different sound. This is, so far, a simply beautiful sounding pair of headphones. If I had to describe the sound here, it reminds me of sitting in front of a very nice pair of audiophile bookshelf speakers. Everything is spacious and detailed.. I am running them flat at the moment. I also have the Aune T1 MK3 (latest version), but I have not tested the headphones with this yet. I have seen so many claims in the past that people find the treble on these headphones to be too bright. I do not find this at all. I am finding this to be a very musical, but at the same time, analytical sounding headphone.

The bass is tight, fast, controlled, and detailed. It has none of that insane slow, boomy, sluggish, bloated character that I hated in the DT770 Pro. It sounds just right to me on this headphone. The mids here on the DT880 are slightly, and I mean ever so slightly recessed. It is just the smallest amount behind in the presentation of the music. However, soundstage is spacious, and instrument location is precise. Everything is presented well in the music, with details popping up all over the place in the recording. I find these puppies to be a real toe tapper. You smile as you hear things being recovered in the music that many other headphones often miss. I find there is a slight treble bump in the 6khz to 10khz region, but I do not find it fatiguing at all. It is offering a nice sparkle that was not presented well at all in the DT770. That treble on the DT770 literally gave me a headache and hurt my ears. The treble here is just so much more refined. It is like Beyer took everything that was wrong in the DT770 and refined it and made it more articulate in the DT880. Everything just sounds so articulate and beautiful. I am quite shocked at how good this headphone sounds for the money. I am sure in my testing I may discover a few discs that may require a -1 reduction in that EQ region, but I have not found any so far. At this point, I am extremely happy with these headphones.

Oct 20, 2016 at 3:09 AM Post #10,300 of 12,548
Indeed the DT880's sound great and they pair especially well with the T1. I would recommend finding an Amperex 7308 or an Orange Globe 6DJ8 tube for the T1, both pair wonderfully with the DT880's. 

Oct 20, 2016 at 3:22 AM Post #10,301 of 12,548
  Indeed the DT880's sound great and they pair especially well with the T1. I would recommend finding an Amperex 7308 or an Orange Globe 6DJ8 tube for the T1, both pair wonderfully with the DT880's. 

I ended up replacing the stock tube with the Genalex Gold Lion E88CC Gold Pin tube a few days after I got the T1. It opened up the soundstage nicely, and tightened the bass right up.

Oct 22, 2016 at 1:23 PM Post #10,302 of 12,548
This is rather awkward. I've switched pads from my year old DT880 Pro with the brand new DT990 Pro pads and the results are staggering to say the least.

First of all I can actually listen to my DT880 again without them crushing my inner ear. As you can imagine my one year old pads are as flat as they can be really and I've washed them once before too. I didn't even fully realize at first but the sound had changed unmistakably for the better. The mids are no longer too forward and soundstage is the way it should be while the sparkle in upper mids has returned. It sounds beautiful once again.

Now the awkward part. The DT990 Pro. The headphone I almost sent back immediately because of awful upper midrange and treble emphasis. They... sound decent now. Actually, better than decent. The mids are more forward. The upper midrange and treble are subdued. V-shape signature is still apparent, but it doesn't sound half as bad anymore. Mid-bass hump is more pronounced now which I'm not sure how I feel about yet as I do find DT880 a bit thin for my liking.

Funny thing is, the flat pads don't feel uncomfortable on DT990 for some reason.

Now I don't know what to do with my DT990. They might be a keeper and I'll just reuse all the pads I've used and abused on my DT880......................

Oct 24, 2016 at 9:31 AM Post #10,303 of 12,548
I'm guessing the 990 Pro's clamping force is less than the 880 Pro's?
Adding another layer of foam between ear and driver will help make the sound of the DT880 fuller/warmer (more lows, reduced treble), although too thick foam makes you lose clarity in the highs (and makes it even more likely for your ears to touch it).

Oct 25, 2016 at 1:07 PM Post #10,304 of 12,548
Hi guys,
I was wondering if you could help me decide which version to buy, the DT880/250 or DT880/600.
I got the Bravo V2 with + RFT ECC82 tube.

-another question I got a Sherwood RD-6405R Receiver, can it drive 600ohm? (I didn't find answer online)

Thanks!

Oct 25, 2016 at 3:50 PM Post #10,305 of 12,548
  Hi guys,
I was wondering if you could help me decide which version to buy, the DT880/250 or DT880/600.
I got the Bravo V2 with + RFT ECC82 tube.

-another question I got a Sherwood RD-6405R Receiver, can it drive 600ohm? (I didn't find answer online)

Thanks!

The 250 ohm version would be compatible with more amplifiers than the 600 ohm ones.

Sherwood doesn't list the headphone output in it's specs, you would have to send off an email to them.
http://www.sherwoodusa.com/aboutus/aboutus.asp

Users who are viewing this thread

Back