The Basshead Club
Sep 5, 2013 at 11:52 AM Post #7,351 of 11,286
Was almost set on buying the q40, but I heard about the htf600 and how the quality is pretty good. And they're 32 on amazon right now (instead of 100+ for q40).. How's the bass on the htf's compared to q40?

One word.... Weak.

Sep 5, 2013 at 12:35 PM Post #7,352 of 11,286
I really like the htf600 for what they are, and still occasionally use them but the M-Audio OVERALL sound is just simply way better. Detail extraction, air, clarity throughout, etc.. Yes the Pannies are cheaper, but the Q40s directly compared are simply in another level.

Sep 5, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #7,353 of 11,286
Was almost set on buying the q40, but I heard about the htf600 and how the quality is pretty good. And they're 32 on amazon right now (instead of 100+ for q40).. How's the bass on the htf's compared to q40?

The Panasonics are decent headphones and good value for the $ with good bass but no comparison to the Q40. 

I have both - the Panasonic's were my first headphone purchased when I started on this website and I keep them around for nostalgia but they never get used. 

Sep 5, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #7,354 of 11,286
Well the Panasonics have one advantage, soundstaging is a bit better due to the semi open design. The Q40 do have small holes at the back like 6 very tiny holes in both cups (placed 3 and 3 on two different spots) but the HTF600 has a much more open design so naturally the soundstaging is a bit airier (although that headphone is lacking resolution in the highs so that bigger staging doesn't always stand out so obvious like if the highs would be better and well a tiny bit EQing of HTF600 greatly helps there).

HTF600 has a lot more analog warm sound to it with a bit more lower-mid presence while having very slightly rolled-off highs where on Q40 I find them pretty neutral (amp/source pairing and pad/cable mods etc will play a role here). The Q40 has much better resolution even if the highs roll-off early (starts around 14-15kHz already) and both the bass quantity and quality is noticeably greater on the Q40, the Q40 does bass well despite being strong.

Sep 5, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #7,355 of 11,286
I originally came to this thread to find an xb500 upgrade... I just listen to music from my iphone or laptop and have no EQ experience. Would never buy an amp, maybe pad upgrade the q40 and get a shorter wire. So it's essentially 31 dollars vs 140 dollars. I understand the q40 is far superior.. But 4x better? I may just buy the htf at first and then move my way up unless the q40 is THAT much better

Sep 5, 2013 at 8:41 PM Post #7,357 of 11,286
I originally came to this thread to find an xb500 upgrade... I just listen to music from my iphone or laptop and have no EQ experience. Would never buy an amp, maybe pad upgrade the q40 and get a shorter wire. So it's essentially 31 dollars vs 140 dollars. I understand the q40 is far superior.. But 4x better? I may just buy the htf at first and then move my way up unless the q40 is THAT much better

I dun own either but I can gurantee 4x the price DOES NOT MEAN 4x the sound quality.

Sep 5, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #7,359 of 11,286
Hi guys again, I can spend maximum 50$ for a full size can....yes i know this wont be getting me an amazing headphone, but i just want to know whats the best available in this price bracket. These will be for my sister and it will be her first full size can. It should have good bass and acceptable mids and highs along with soundstaging, although bass is a number 1 priority. I was looking at the sony xb600, the panasonic htf600s, and monoprice 8323 and ath m-30. Are there any better options out there? I am leaning towards the panasonics based on the reviews.

Sep 5, 2013 at 11:36 PM Post #7,362 of 11,286

Well, it's not just sound.
It's build, removable cables, pouch, etc. etc. so 4x price is not that bad... but the differences are palpable... You start getting into the "diminishing return" thingie when going up a bit... (i.e. the Yamaha Pro 500, Ultrasone Pro 900, etc. against Denon D5000, Signature DJs, etc.)

Anyone? Trying to buy soon

Go cheaper for your first try out... 
If you don't like them, you can always give them to someone in your family! :wink:
Just remember that the Pannies LEAK OUT a lot of sound, the M-Audio don't... Other than that, try them... 

Sep 6, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #7,364 of 11,286
  Does anybody know if the Sony XB910 is any better than the XB800 sound quality wise? Theres a $50 price difference.

Honestly skip these crappy "Generation Beats" XB cans, get your self an XB700 or XB1000 if you REALLY want some bass

that said, Oh nvm I know which can to get

I need a new... SUB BASS MONSTER Can. Something like the D7k [my stero has spoiled me with it's BASS] so all my headphones are kinda lacking atm bass wise. I mean for Reggae, Rock Ect everything has a great tone to it, but nothings really doing EDM right for me... even my DR 990 are not WOWing me [damn you sub woofer]

So how is the Sub on the D7k... like a modest BRICK to the face? 

Sep 6, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #7,365 of 11,286
IEM - Better mid bass kick(Smaller drivers react faster, thus creating stronger kick)
Headphone - Better Sub bass rumble(Larger drivers resonate more air volume to canal, producing lower rumble)

Lol i dont know if i am right at all, but thats how I perceive bass between iems and headphones.

Does Anyone have experience or know if the 

Sennheiser HD 202 II - has bass?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back